Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Inconsistency in accuracy over all three difficulty levels. [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Hi,

The reason you are able to solve more questions correctly in the Easy and Medium range and fewer questions in the Hard range is that they are HARD. If you were able to solve them as easily as the first, it would no longer be a hard question for you. So the best thing to do is to stop worrying about the difficulty level of the question as and when you get a question on the screen. Solve every question using the approach you have learned ( tried and tested). If you see that a question is way too complicated to be solved in the limited time that you have, you will have to take a call and guess and MOVE ON. But make sure that your guesses are evenly spread out. Consecutive wrong answers can harm your score.

As Andrew pointed out, make sure to analyze your mistakes carefully. Your mistakes can teach you the gap in your solving/reasoning. And that is the only way to improve. All the best and do well! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Inconsistency in accuracy over all three difficulty levels. [#permalink]
I apologize for tagging you. I have very less time to practice and a big improvement to make (V34/35 to V39/40). Hope you understand.
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo egmat carcass mikemcgarry sayantanc2k walker abhimahna CrackverbalGMAT AndrewN
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, Mck2023. Pardon the delay, but this was another long workday for me. I will respond inline below.

Mck2023 wrote:
Hi Experts
I have around 90% accuracy in the Sub-600 level (as per GMAT Club tag) and around 80% accuracy in 600-700 level SC questions when I practice. In 700 level questions, my accuracy goes down to around 60%. The similar pattern is in my CR practice. I have seen in my Practice Tests that I make mistakes in one or two Easy or Medium SC and CR questions, dragging my score down to to V33,34,35. And I need at least V39.

My concern is the mistakes in Sub-600 and 600-700 level questions. Because, if I make mistake in these questions, my score will go down. (I have learnt that mistake in easy question kills the score more than mistake in hard question.) So I do not want to make any mistakes in these level of questions. I have a little more than 3 weeks to prepare. What shall I do in these days to achieve my target score?

You have identified the real issue here. I know it can be tempting to practice Hard question after Hard question, but there is no trickle-down effect that will necessarily make you better at Easy and Medium questions. Focus instead on these Easy and Medium questions. Instead of 90 percent accuracy on Easy, aim for 95; instead of 80, 85-90. When you put the fundamentals first, you are much less likely to miss the types of questions that will keep you from seeing those 700-level questions. I teach my students to place as much emphasis on review as on practice, if not more, toward the end of their preparation. That is, solving more questions will likely only reveal that you keep making the same mistakes. But if you spend time reviewing questions you have missed or even struggled with in the past and can improve your understanding of the issues that were getting in the way, you can see questions in a new light thereafter.

Mck2023 wrote:
Talking about my RC performance, it all depends on the passage. If I could not comprehend the passage well, then I will make mistake on the Sub-600 level questions easily [Hard passages gives easy questions if you make mistake in row]. Is there any way I can eliminate the mistake in easy question in this kind of scenario?

You should be looking for the same sorts of things in each RC passage, regardless of its type: authorial presence, the relationship of the different paragraphs, the use of transition words (e.g. "however"). You might try watching some YouTube videos from GMATNinja. Many members have found them quite useful.

Mck2023 wrote:
One more question, I got V34 (Q49,680) in my recent CAT (Kaplan Free Test), where I had 7 mistakes out of 14 RC questions. And, when I checked the question tag in GMAT Club, all 4 passages were long passages (3 Science and 1 Humanities) where 3 passages were 700 level. Is this (getting 4 long passages) usual in real GMAT? I am bit scared.

It is atypical to get four lengthy passages, but go in ready to take on whatever the exam throws your way. Then, if you see a shorter passage on the screen, you can laugh to yourself and ease into it. It is not worth worrying about what could be on your exam.

Mck2023 wrote:
Finally, I take take Quant first and then Verbal section on my practice and real exam. What happens is, during the Verbal section, I start to see the blurred vision due to long staring. A little bit of fatigue is also felt. How shall I practice to overcome this?

Thank you!!

Regards,
Mck2023

Mental fatigue is something that every test-taker must overcome to achieve a peak performance. If you find that you are better able to concentrate on Quant questions, maybe you should get Verbal out of the way first, while your mind is fresh. Your mocks should help you figure out pacing strategies as well. Some people look to hit time targets for each set of five or ten questions, or whatever corresponds to a quarter of each section. Make a game of it. Have fun.

If you need to reset your eyes, look away from the screen for a few seconds, take a deep breath or two, and get back to it. When you are calm and are able to think clearly, you will do your best.

Good luck with your studies. Thank you for thinking to ask me for advice.

- Andrew

Thank you so much Andrew!! You are really great.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts