Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 505 [6]
Given Kudos: 1148
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31889 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Increases in levels of mercury in the human heart increase toxicity by [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nightmare007 wrote:
For suppose, There is a seller of Mercury rich fish but he won't eat it, does it increase his toxin levels ?. It is still considered as an abundance of mercury rich fish. So according to this option not only those who EAT abundance of mercury rich fish BUT ALSO stay near or abundance of mercury rich fish in water, elsewhere, will also increase the toxin levels in some. I think the wording is incorrect. that's why I did not chose D.

abhimahna, GMATNinja, can you please help me with my query.

Thank you

Hey Nightmare007 ,

I completely agree to your point.

Being something in abundance doesn't mean we are going to consume it. I also didn't pick D at the first go but later realized that all the other answer choices are too extreme to select.

I would call this question a POOR quality question and move on.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 505 [0]
Given Kudos: 1148
Send PM
Re: Increases in levels of mercury in the human heart increase toxicity by [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
SSSNW wrote:
Increases in levels of mercury in the human heart increase toxicity by decreasing the body’s natural ability to purge those extra toxins. Levels of mercury in the hearts of some individuals may rise as a result of eating an excessive amount of mercury-rich fish such as swordfish.

Which of the following is a correct inference that can be drawn from the information provided?

A. Individuals who avoid eating mercury-rich fish face no risk of increasing toxins in the bloodstream.
B. Individuals who do not eat mercury-rich fish regularly will have a lower risk of developing increased toxicity in their bloodstreams as they age.
C. Abstaining from mercury-rich fish altogether is the most effective method of lowering toxicity.
D. An abundance of mercury-rich fish will increase toxins in the bloodstreams of some people.
E. Only abstaining from mercury-rich fish is necessary to lower toxicity levels in the bloodstreams of individuals of average weight.

ALL choices except D are too extreme in the language and D flows directly from the PARA..

A. Individuals who avoid eating mercury-rich fish face no risk of increasing toxins in the bloodstream.
NO risk!!!.. there can be many other reasons that can lead to excessive mercury

B. Individuals who do not eat mercury-rich fish regularly will have a lower risk of developing increased toxicity in their bloodstreams as they age.
Again ALL individuals!!! - some may have some other reasons to develop excessive mercury

C. Abstaining from mercury-rich fish altogether is the most effective method of lowering toxicity.
MOST effective!!! - not mentioned anywhere

D. An abundance of mercury-rich fish will increase toxins in the bloodstreams of some people.
Correct

E. Only abstaining from mercury-rich fish is necessary to lower toxicity levels in the bloodstreams of individuals of average weight.
ONLY!!! - extreme again

D

Thanks chetan2u

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
monikaranchi26 wrote:
I guess the right option is incorrect because it states "An abundance of mercury-rich fish will increase toxins in the bloodstreams of some people." that abundance of fish can happen anywhere such as either in pond or in river. It doesn't say about the consumption of that particular fish.

Please correct me if m wrong ?

I agree also there is a strong transition in language. The argument says that eating mercury fish "may" increase toxicity. This choice says that eating mercury rich fish "will" increase toxins. If all other options are too extreme, this choice stands no different.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
For suppose, There is a seller of Mercury rich fish but he won't eat it, does it increase his toxin levels ?. It is still considered as an abundance of mercury rich fish. So according to this option not only those who EAT abundance of mercury rich fish BUT ALSO stay near or abundance of mercury rich fish in water, elsewhere, will also increase the toxin levels in some. I think the wording is incorrect. that's why I did not chose D.

abhimahna, GMATNinja, can you please help me with my query.

Thank you
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
gmatFalcon wrote:
Increases in levels of mercury in the human heart increase toxicity by decreasing the body’s natural ability to purge those extra toxins. Levels of mercury in the hearts of some individuals may rise as a result of eating an excessive amount of mercury-rich fish such as swordfish.

Which of the following is a correct inference that can be drawn from the information provided?

1 .First of, the tone of the passage is soft/general, so any answer choice using extreme tone can be eliminated easily.

2. Second, we are talking about people who eat mercury-fish, so any answer choice that talks about people who don't eat MF is wrong.

3. Anything that is not stated in the passage is out of scope.

Using above mentioned information and POE, we can eliminate A, B, C, and E.

D is the best among all the choices for its soft tone. But it seems a bit awkward to say that mere abundance of fish can increase the toxicity in blood stream. But this is the best available choice.

(D)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts