It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 312

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shoumodip wrote:
[
Hi.
Pls elaborate on this...
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
Incorrect -
1. Change of Meaning (Sin in GMAT SC) ,
Original Meaning - "At the same time, they have introduced 100,000 pollutants"
Meaning in option - "They have introduced 100,000 pollutant at the same time.

I am not sure what change in meaning is referred above in these two examples, but the easiest way to eliminate C is "which have". "at the same time" is an adverb/adjective[more below] - so, "which" cannot refer back to pollutants.

All, I can see that in the second option "They have introduced 100,000 pollutant at the same time", "at the same time" is clearly ambiguous - an adverb for the action "have introduced", in line with the preceding action "have improved", or an adjective for the "1000 pollutants"[ in which case, we mean that all the pollutants were introduced at the same time, and not "at the same time" goes along with the "introduced" and "improved"]. By placing "at the same time" in the beginning, as in B, we are sure that its an adverb, thus no ambiguity. Having said that, I would not rely on this difference in exam scenario. The "which" error is enough to eliminate C in so called 2 seconds !!

Cheers !! :-D

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 312

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Re: Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 12:38
shoumodip wrote:
ugimba wrote:
Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

please explain your reasoning..

Anyone explain WHY CHOICE C is wrong?
Here I believe "which" refers to chemical pollutants, which is logical and there is //sm after and before WHILE. So pls advise

I think that while can only jump over prepositional phrase that modifies the preceding noun. 'at the same time' does not modify pollutants and therefore usage of which creates confusion.

Can some explain to me the way 'introducing' is used in B. If it is a verb, how can it be parallel to 'have improved' ??? In case it is a present participle, how can it stand alongside 'while', which I understand is a subordinating conjuction that requires a full clause?

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 15:19
Can some explain to me the way 'introducing' is used in B. If it is a verb, how can it be parallel to 'have improved' ??? In case it is a present participle, how can it stand alongside 'while', which I understand is a subordinating conjunction that requires a full clause?
Thank you.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 02:29
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kivalo wrote:
Can some explain to me the way 'introducing' is used in B. If it is a verb, how can it be parallel to 'have improved' ??? In case it is a present participle, how can it stand alongside 'while', which I understand is a subordinating conjunction that requires a full clause?
Thank you.

"Introducing" is a present participle, not a verb. Since this is an official question, it is clear that GMAT allows usage of "while" to introduce a present participle phrase.
(It is important to align oneself with what GMAT considers right or wrong - scoring high is after all the objective.)

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 312

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 13:46
Can someone please explain how in the world phrase "introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants" modifies "industrialization and modern methods of insect control". As for the present participle phrase isn't it important to touch the noun its modifying.

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 312

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 09:16
Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

(A) while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

modification error : methods have improved ........ , having gone virtually unregulated : changes meaning

(B) while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have

(C) while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have

100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time : change of meaning : Incorrect

(D) but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have

100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time : change of meaning : Incorrect

(E) but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
Incorrect

Is the use of but without a 'comma' ok ?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 09:38
rishabhdxt wrote:

(A) while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

modification error : methods have improved ........ , having gone virtually unregulated : changes meaning

(B) while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have

(C) while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have

(D) but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have

(E) but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
Incorrect

Is the use of but without a 'comma' ok ?

Hello rishabhdxt,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Comma + but is used to join two independent clauses. But in Choice D and E, but is not followed by a clause. It is rather followed by a phrase.

Hence use of but without comma in these choices is correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 341

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8173 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
kivalo wrote

Quote:
Can some explain to me the way 'introducing' is used in B. If it is a verb, how can it be parallel to 'have improved' ??? In case it is a present participle, how can it stand alongside 'while', which I understand is a subordinating conjuction that requires a full clause?

Apart from its usage as a conjunction with a finite verb, 'while' is also used along with participles. GMAT has accepted this usage also, as can be seen below. Therefore, one cannot omit a choice on this count.

1. The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals with racial issues.
A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals
B. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition, also occasionally it deals
C. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deals
D. are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing
E. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition, also occasionally are dealing

OA D

2. While studying the genetic makeup of corn, a new class of mutant genes was discovered by Barbara McClintock, a discovery which led to greater understanding of cell differentiation.

A. a new class of mutant genes was discovered by Barbara McClintock, a discovery which led
B. a new class of mutant genes in corn were discovered by Barbara McClintock, leading
C. Barbara McClintock discovered a new class of mutant genes, and it led
D. Barbara McClintock discovered a new class of mutant genes, a discovery that led
E. Barbara McClintock, who discovered a new class of mutant genes, leading

The non-underline part uses while along with a participle

3. Meteor showers and individual streaks of light that flash across the sky every night are generated when tiny flecks of celestial detritus, often no larger than grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding through the atmosphere.

(A) grains of sand or of pebbles, burn up speeding
(B) grains of sand or pebbles, burn up while speeding
(C) grains of sand or pebbles, which burn up while speeding
(D) a grain of sand or pebble, which burns up as it speeds
(E) a grain of sand or a pebble burns up when it speeds

OA.B

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8173 [1], given: 364

Re: Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved t   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2017, 10:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap