Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [213]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [48]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [31]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved [#permalink]
Kudos
B is correct. I don't know about all of you but I don't go by the rules of grammar at all. In fact, I don't even know more than half the technical things that you all discuss. I am sure when I was in school I read and learnt those things but they have been long forgotten. I simply go by the way I WOULD speak a particular sentence. English is a strange language in a certain sense. What may seem correct in one context may not seem correct in another. The only way to tackle these questions, I think, is to imagine yourself speaking the sentence with your eyes closed and feel if it sounds alright. Now, this may not work for everybody but it does for me.
This particular question, it is my belief, is a perfect example that there are no rules in English (if you know what I mean)!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Re: Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved [#permalink]
Kudos
ugimba wrote:
Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

please explain your reasoning..

To me a structure of the sentence has the following logic:

Industrialization and modern methods...have improved the standard of living...while introducing dangerous chemical pollutants...[polutants] have gone unregulated since they (pollutants) were developed...

using 2/3 rule:
While vs. but - While wins. so we can eliminate D&E
In C "which" modifies time
A says that "Industrialization and methods of insects contorol..having gone (sounding awkward at least) unregulated." I think the meaning is distorted.

So B wins.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Its close between B & D.
I will go with B as 'that' clause in the end modifies pollutants that have gone unregulated.
'that' clause modifies time in D instead of pollutants located in the end of sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
noboru wrote:
while at the same time is not wordy??

I mean redundant. Could anybody please clarify?

Thanks,

not redudant at all...

while (signals contrast) at the same time (signals 'in conjunction with') ... how's that redundant?
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [6]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
paeagain wrote:
Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

POE

Incorrect - Ambiguous modifier ", Having" it has potential to modify pollutants and They (Industrialization and modern methods of insect control) Hence sentence is not clear to present an Idea.

Correct
1. introducing - Ving modifier modifies the subject of preceding clause ( Industrialization and modern methods of insect control)
2. That - correct modify Pollutants.

Incorrect -
1. Change of Meaning (Sin in GMAT SC) ,
Original Meaning - "At the same time, they have introduced 100,000 pollutants"
Meaning in option - "They have introduced 100,000 pollutant at the same time.

2. "Time, which" - which is modifying the time, Time modifier is when. Even tough Which modifies time, it introduced change in meaning by saying " Time gone viral .. "

Incorrect - Here But introduced an Independent clause and has no verb in it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
vishwaprakash wrote:
paeagain wrote:

POE

Incorrect - Ambiguous modifier ", Having" it has potential to modify pollutants and They (Industrialization and modern methods of insect control) Hence sentence is not clear to present an Idea.

Correct
1. introducing - Ving modifier modifies the subject of preceding clause ( Industrialization and modern methods of insect control)
2. That - correct modify Pollutants.

Incorrect -

2. "Time, which" - which is modifying the time, Time modifier is when. Even tough Which modifies time, it introduced change in meaning by saying " Time gone viral .. "

Hi.
Pls elaborate on this...
Incorrect -
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [5]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
shoumodip wrote:
[
Hi.
Pls elaborate on this...
Incorrect -

I am not sure what change in meaning is referred above in these two examples, but the easiest way to eliminate C is "which have". "at the same time" is an adverb/adjective[more below] - so, "which" cannot refer back to pollutants.

All, I can see that in the second option "They have introduced 100,000 pollutant at the same time", "at the same time" is clearly ambiguous - an adverb for the action "have introduced", in line with the preceding action "have improved", or an adjective for the "1000 pollutants"[ in which case, we mean that all the pollutants were introduced at the same time, and not "at the same time" goes along with the "introduced" and "improved"]. By placing "at the same time" in the beginning, as in B, we are sure that its an adverb, thus no ambiguity. Having said that, I would not rely on this difference in exam scenario. The "which" error is enough to eliminate C in so called 2 seconds !!

Cheers !! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [2]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Kudos
Can some explain to me the way 'introducing' is used in B. If it is a verb, how can it be parallel to 'have improved' ??? In case it is a present participle, how can it stand alongside 'while', which I understand is a subordinating conjunction that requires a full clause?
Thank you.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [9]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos