Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [22]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Information asymmetry refers to any situation in which information abo [#permalink]
subhendu389 wrote:
Can someone explain why 2.D is wrong. Thanks!!

Transparency # ethics..

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Schulich
Send PM
Re: Information asymmetry refers to any situation in which information abo [#permalink]
Kudos
I am not sure with the OA for #3.

E) can be true but we cannot say it must be true

whereas....

B) may not be true as its explicitly mentioned in the passage that "Information asymmetry refers to any situation in which information about the value of a publicly traded company is distributed unevenly among INVESTORS." and we are not sure whether the INVESTMENT ANALYSTS mentioned in B) are actually the INVESTORS.

I may not be right but B) sounds much better than E).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
can nyone explain how ans is b in q2.. in my opinion both b and e are equal competitor. how can v distinguish which one is better. tia
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's great to see so much interest in this passage, and I'm happy to join in and answer some questions!

For Wonsuk's question, yes, answer choice E for #3 is something that could be true but is not necessarily true. The reason E is correct is the presence of the “EXCEPT” in the question stem. This tells us that we are looking for the one choice that we cannot infer from the passage.

For ashish8814's question about #2, the problem with E is that it is too strongly worded. The passage states that conference calls “can mitigate information asymmetry,” but it never goes so far as to state that the conference calls are the “best” way to do so. Answer choices that are strongly worded can only be correct when the passage is equally strongly worded. Answer choice B's wording reflects the lack of certainty mentioned in the third paragraph.

I will also add that manishpatwal is correct in the response given to subhendu389. Answer choice D is incorrect for #2 in part because transparent and ethical have different meanings and are not interchangeable. D is also too strong in stating that these companies “are perceived” when the author states in the passage that these companies “may be perceived.”

Best,
Jennifer Kindy
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
JenniferAtKaplan wrote:
It's great to see so much interest in this passage, and I'm happy to join in and answer some questions!

For Wonsuk's question, yes, answer choice E for #3 is something that could be true but is not necessarily true. The reason E is correct is the presence of the “EXCEPT” in the question stem. This tells us that we are looking for the one choice that we cannot infer from the passage.

For ashish8814's question about #2, the problem with E is that it is too strongly worded. The passage states that conference calls “can mitigate information asymmetry,” but it never goes so far as to state that the conference calls are the “best” way to do so. Answer choices that are strongly worded can only be correct when the passage is equally strongly worded. Answer choice B's wording reflects the lack of certainty mentioned in the third paragraph.

I will also add that manishpatwal is correct in the response given to subhendu389. Answer choice D is incorrect for #2 in part because transparent and ethical have different meanings and are not interchangeable. D is also too strong in stating that these companies “are perceived” when the author states in the passage that these companies “may be perceived.”

Best,
Jennifer Kindy

Hi.
I can't understand your point regarding Q3. Option b is something that can also not be directly inferred from the passage. whereas option E could be true. should't we then pick option B instead of OptionE.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi, Nitesh. Choice B actually can be inferred from the passage, because an analyst having such information before other investors do is, in fact, an example of a "situation in which information about the value of a publicly traded company is distributed unevenly among investors."

Jennifer

nitesh50 wrote:
JenniferAtKaplan wrote:

Best,
Jennifer Kindy

Hi.
I can't understand your point regarding Q3. Option b is something that can also not be directly inferred from the passage. whereas option E could be true. should't we then pick option B instead of OptionE.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I am not definitely sure about 2B as OA. The passage says: "While it is not certain that conference calls are the sole factor in increasing trading by uninformed investors, companies that hold these calls may be perceived by investors to be more transparent than companies that do not." So the point is that "may be" doesn't' equal to definitely?

Originally posted by popovarseniy on 04 Jun 2019, 03:13.
Last edited by popovarseniy on 04 Jun 2019, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
popovarseniy wrote:
I am not definitely sure about B as OA. The passage says: "While it is not certain that conference calls are the sole factor in increasing trading by uninformed investors, companies that hold these calls may be perceived by investors to be more transparent than companies that do not." So the point is that "may be" doesn't' equal to definitely?

I agree on the same. In my opinion, B is an extreme option (which should be avoided) and also leaves no scope for conference calls to even be a minor factor

Also, though E isn't very accurate but is the best option to go for after eliminating the rest
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
if possible someone kindly share how they rejected Option A for Question 3,

because as per the Passage we are given

investors tend to demand a return premium to compensate them for the risk of trading with privately informed investors, and this risk premium in turn increases the firm's cost of capital.

Although i was able to answer the question correctly because wordings of option E are just too extreme.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
JenniferAtKaplan wrote:
Hi, Nitesh. Choice B actually can be inferred from the passage, because an analyst having such information before other investors do is, in fact, an example of a "situation in which information about the value of a publicly traded company is distributed unevenly among investors."

Jennifer

nitesh50 wrote:
JenniferAtKaplan wrote:

Best,
Jennifer Kindy

Hi.

Hi,
So, should we just assume that investors = investment analysts? That was the reason why I chose B over E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
shubham2312 wrote:
if possible someone kindly share how they rejected Option A for Question 3,

because as per the Passage we are given

investors tend to demand a return premium to compensate them for the risk of trading with privately informed investors, and this risk premium in turn increases the firm's cost of capital.

Although i was able to answer the question correctly because wordings of option E are just too extreme.

How to Eliminate Option A

Stated in 2nd para
in order to lower their cost of capital, many publicly traded companies are looking for ways to reduce information asymmetry.

It implies Distribution of information affects capital size.

Hope it Helps
Don't worry about KUDOS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Information asymmetry refers to any situation in which information about the value of a publicly traded company is distributed unevenly among investors. When some investors obtain private information that is not available to investors in general, they can use that information to trade profitably with uninformed investors. Uninformed investors tend to demand a return premium to compensate them for the risk of trading with privately informed investors, and this risk premium in turn increases the firm's cost of capital.

Therefore, in order to lower their cost of capital, many publicly traded companies are looking for ways to reduce information asymmetry. Some companies have addressed the issue by regularly disseminating material information via conference calls with board members, executives and professional stock analysts. Such conference calls can mitigate information asymmetry in several ways. Frequent conference calls directly increase the amount of information available to investors, and they lower the incentive for private investors to seek out what undisclosed information remains. Furthermore, because information is more readily available to all investors, the potential benefits of trading on private information may be reduced.

In fact, according to research performed by economists Stephen Brown, Stephen Hillegeist and Kin Lo, frequent disclosure of substantial information via conference calls can materially increase the relative amount of trading in a firm's stock by uninformed investors. While it is not certain that conference calls are the sole factor in increasing trading by uninformed investors, companies that hold these calls may be perceived by investors to be more transparent than companies that do not. This, in turn, can reduce the risk borne by investors who lack private information.
1. According to the passage, which of the following is true concerning conference calls?

A. They cause a company to gain more revenue by improving the company's image.
B. They minimize the investment of privately informed investors.
C. They allow stock analysts to ask company executives questions about the financial health of a company.
D. They are the best way for a company to make large sums of capital available in a short time frame.
E. They minimize the advantage of privately informed investors trading with other investors.

2. The author of this passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements?
A. Companies that lack a ready source of capital should hold frequent conference calls to address the problem.
B. The nature of the relationship between conference calls and the attitudes of investors towards the companies that hold them is not definitively understood.
C. Conference calls present the disadvantage of alienating investors who would otherwise be the recipients of private information about a company.
D. Companies that hold frequent conference calls are perceived to be more ethical than companies that do not hold conference calls.
E. Conference calls are the best way for a company to alleviate the problem of information asymmetry.

3. Each of the following is an inference that may properly be drawn from the passage EXCEPT:

A. The distribution of information among a company's shareholders can affect the company's ability to raise capital.
B. An investment analyst obtaining a copy of a company's financial statements before the statements are filled with regulatory authorities could be an example of information asymmetry.
C. Investors who are aware of a decline in a company's sales may be able to profit by selling their shares in the firm to uninformed investors.
D. Some investors who demand a return premium when investing in a company know of information asymmetry among that company's investors.
E. Companies with the least information assymetry prblems are the ones with the lowest cost of capital.

What should be the ideal expected time to solve this passage?

I took 5 mins 30 sec. Should it be ideally less than this ??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
subhendu389 wrote:

Hi D ethical is not same as transparent. Passage is talking about transparency of information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Hello! Can someone explain 2nd question, I am a bit confused.
Thank you!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32917 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Information asymmetry refers to any situation in which information abo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Makhabbat wrote:
Hello! Can someone explain 2nd question, I am a bit confused.
Thank you!

Explanation

2. The author of this passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements?

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

It is a global inference question that cannot be answered by reading a specific portion of the passage; instead, it is based on most of the last two paragraphs. Read the answer choices one by one and use POE to reach the answer. I have answered it correctly in 1:23

A. Companies that lack a ready source of capital should hold frequent conference calls to address the problem.

It seems not related to the question, an easy one to eliminate.

B. The nature of the relationship between conference calls and the attitudes of investors towards the companies that hold them is not definitively understood.

It seems a strong one, so let's keep it and continue reading.

C. Conference calls present the disadvantage of alienating investors who would otherwise be the recipients of private information about a company.

It could be a trap, but this is opposed by only the word "disadvantage," hence alienating investors who would otherwise be the recipients of private information is not a disadvantage, according to the passage.

D. Companies that hold frequent conference calls are perceived to be more ethical than companies that do not hold conference calls.

This is another trap this interchanging "Transparency" for "Ethics" both are two different characteristics and cannot use interchangeably.

E. Conference calls are the best way for a company to alleviate the problem of information asymmetry.

This is extreme! Although the passage stated that Conference calls help but it didn't say that it is the best way to alleviate the problem of information asymmetry. Do not take anything for granted.

Among all the five options (B) is the best.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
subhendu389 wrote:

D is wrong because it hasn't said anything about the comparison.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts