GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

INSEAD offer vs Apply R2 to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, Duke

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 68% [20]
  • 31% [9]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
INSEAD offer vs Apply R2 to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, Duke  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Applied R1, got offer from INSEAD, interviewed at Wharton and then got dinged, no interview invite from Stanford GSB and MIT SLOAN

Background: Chinese, male, GMAT 740, 5 years R&D engineering background in Canada, 4.0 GPA for both undergraduate (in China) and graduate (top 3 in Canada) programs, will be 29 at matriculation
Post-MBA career goal: to work at MBB or rotational general management programs in China

Should I take the INSEAD offer or apply R2 to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, and Duke? One difference for my R2 application will be that I will be applying as a Canadian instead of Chinese, just got my Canadian citizenship status recently. Not sure whether this will make a difference.

Any thought or advice is welcome.

Originally posted by pumpkin2014 on 30 Dec 2014, 06:48.
Last edited by pumpkin2014 on 30 Dec 2014, 18:21, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: INSEAD offer vs Apply R2 to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, Duke  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 15:40
pumpkin2014 wrote:
Applied R1, got offer from INSEAD, interviewed at Wharton and then got dinged, no interview invite from Stanford GSB and MIT SLOAN

Background: Chinese, male, 5 years R&D engineering background in Canada, 4.0 GPA for both undergraduate (in China) and graduate (top 3 in Canada) programs, will be 29 at matriculation
Post-MBA career goal: to work at MBB or rotational general management programs in China

Should I take the INSEAD offer or reapply to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, and Duke? One difference for my R2 application will be that I will be applying as a Canadian instead of Chinese, just got my Canadian citizenship status recently. Not sure whether this will make a difference.

You said you got dinged from Wharton, Stanford, and Sloan. But your question is if you should reapply to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, and Duke. Did you apply to those schools in the first place? I'm confused about your use of "reapply". Or would you just be applying for the first time?

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 18:07
My bad, should be simply "apply" instead of reapply. Will edit the post. I haven't applied to those schools in the first place. I am hoping that the change in my nationality will make a difference for my R2 application. Other than that, the application package is the same, maybe it will come with better/worse luck this time.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 22:14
pumpkin2014 wrote:
My bad, should be simply "apply" instead of reapply. Will edit the post. I haven't applied to those schools in the first place. I am hoping that the change in my nationality will make a difference for my R2 application. Other than that, the application package is the same, maybe it will come with better/worse luck this time.

Ok, got it. If you WANT to go to INSEAD, then no, don't apply to R2 at other schools. But if you don't want to go to INSEAD, then yes, apply to R2, but you should find out what was wrong with your R1 applications so you don't make the same mistakes again. I'm not sure if you had people read your essays, but that might be a good place to start, especially if English isn't your first or primary language. BTW, you can't change your nationality. Do you mean your country of residence? Your nationality is what you are born with.

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
Intern
Intern
WE: Law (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 03:55
pumpkin2014 wrote:

Background: Chinese, male, GMAT 740, 5 years R&D engineering background in Canada, 4.0 GPA for both undergraduate (in China) and graduate (top 3 in Canada) programs, will be 29 at matriculation

Should I take the INSEAD offer or apply R2 to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, and Duke? One difference for my R2 application will be that I will be applying as a Canadian instead of Chinese, just got my Canadian citizenship status recently. Not sure whether this will make a difference.

Hi,

I think applying as Canadian instead of as Chinese national will definitely make a difference in your chances, as universities generally either have quotas or at least like variety in representation from different countries. You will move out of one of the most competitive demographics and that improves your chances. That being said, however, that does not guarantee admission.

Taking into consideration your career goals I think INSEAD is a great option for both MBB or rotational program in China. INSEAD is a recruiting powerhouse for MBB and it has a solid reputation in Asia. Career-wise, unless you are set on doing MBB in the US, I do not think you will be better off at the US schools that at INSEAD for that purpose (and even at a US school, US offices are extremely competitive and difficult to reach for internationals).

If you like INSEAD, I would accept the offer, however, if you are really set on going to a US school then you can reject the offer and apply next year to those US schools but always bearing in mind that you may end up empty handed.

Good luck with your decision :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.35
WE: Operations (Military & Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 06:35
"BTW, you can't change your nationality. Do you mean your country of residence? Your nationality is what you are born with".

That's not true entirely true. I know many people that are duel citizens and I myself hold three citizenship's and passports (New Zealand, US, UK). Many countries allow you to gain citizenship after being a resident for a certain amount of time and meeting certain qualifications. Canada is on of these countries.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 07:33
KiwiCandidate wrote:
"BTW, you can't change your nationality. Do you mean your country of residence? Your nationality is what you are born with".

That's not true entirely true. I know many people that are duel citizens and I myself hold three citizenship's and passports (New Zealand, US, UK). Many countries allow you to gain citizenship after being a resident for a certain amount of time and meeting certain qualifications. Canada is on of these countries.

Nationality, as it is used in the US, does not mean citizenship. Nationality means literally where you were born. I am a US citizen (naturalized since I was an infant), but I was born in Hong Kong. My nationality is considered Chinese or Hong Kong-ese (pre merger), despite my citizenship being US.

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.35
WE: Operations (Military & Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 08:31
BazingAu wrote:
KiwiCandidate wrote:

Nationality, as it is used in the US, does not mean citizenship. Nationality means literally where you were born. I am a US citizen (naturalized since I was an infant), but I was born in Hong Kong. My nationality is considered Chinese or Hong Kong-ese (pre merger), despite my citizenship being US.

My point is that if Pumpkin2014 has duel citizenship then he can choose to put either on his business school application. By choosing to portray himself as a Canadian citizen it will likely make him more competitive because there are far less applicants from Canada. The rest of his profile looks extremely strong.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 20:33
Thanks for all the advices, my friends. Yes, I was born in China and my current citizenship status is Canadian.

I did my research for INSEAD in the past few weeks. ~23% of graduates (including sponsored students) in 2013 went to MBB. 14% of graduates in 2013 went to MBB as new hires, either from other industries or from other consulting firms. The number looks great. And the one year format makes it even better for ROI.

My two concerns are:
1. A large portion of those MBB offers were probably for offices in Europe. For the MBB offices in China, I can not find much data online. Can anyone comment on how INSEAD MBA students compete with M7 MBA students for the limited spaces in Shanghai/Beijing/HongKong MBB offices?
2. How hard is it to change career from R&D engineering to MBB consulting? Is an internship + M7 necessary or is INSEAD good enough to help me get an interview for the offices I am targeting at? I guess it is all up to one's interview performance instead of school name after that, so I would not worry too much as along as I can get the interview at the first place.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 05:59
If you got dinged at Wharton, GSB and Sloan - HBS, Booth and Kellogg will be a stretch unless your application is positioned differently
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 12:16
BazingAu wrote:
KiwiCandidate wrote:

That's odd - learn something new everyday.

I'm a Canadian citizen but was not born in Canada. On my passport, my nationality is listed as Canadian.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.24
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
INSEAD offer vs Apply R2 to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, Duke  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Aug 2016, 21:21
forevertfc wrote:
BazingAu wrote:
KiwiCandidate wrote:

I'm a Canadian citizen but was not born in Canada. On my passport, my nationality is listed as Canadian.

You can definitely have multiple nationalities. I have three, and am a citizen of three countries. I have had all three passports since I was a year old. Nationality can either mean belonging to a particular nation (legal status) or ethnic group.

Although, it seems a bit dishonest to use your newly acquired Canadian citizenship just to boost your chances of being accepted into a program. :o

Originally posted by Delilah777 on 16 Jan 2015, 08:53.
Last edited by Delilah777 on 19 Aug 2016, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 10:06
yea, what he said about nationalities is incorrect even as used in the US. If your a dual citizen you can pretty much choose your nationality...that's the whole point. Note, being born in France does not make you a French national automatically, neither does it do so in the UK... the US is one of the few countries that grant automatic citizenship to people born here.

anyway, to address the OP question.. I'd go with insead...simply because you want to work outside the US after school and they have great placements. There's nothing from the results of your R1 apps that say you have a great chance at HBS/Kellogg/Booth.

Unless you just feel like rolling the dice.

forevertfc wrote:
BazingAu wrote:
KiwiCandidate wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD offer vs Apply R2 to HBS, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, Duke   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2015, 10:06

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate