It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Insurance Company X is considering issuing a new policy to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

Re: Insurance Company X is considering issuing a new policy to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 03:04
"SC followup question: In the 1st sentence of the Stimulus, is it correct to say "considering issuing" ? Isn't it more appropriate to say "considering to issue" ? "

Consider can be followed by a gerund or noun phrase. So although it sounds strange, "considering issuing" is correct.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Q. Insurance Company X is considering issuing a new policy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 11:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
OG13 CR Q#53 | Person Request to Mike Mc Garry to Reply [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 19:53
Insurance Company X is considering issuing a new policy to cover services required by elderly people who suffer from diseases that afflict the elderly. Premiums for the policy must be low enough to attract customers. Therefore, Company X is concerned that the income from the policies would not be sufficient to pay for the claims that would be made.
Which of the following strategies would be most likely to minimize Company X's losses on the policies?

A.Attracting middle-aged customers unlikely to submit claims for benefits for many years
B.Insuring only those individuals who did not suffer any serious diseases as children
C.Including a greater number of services in the policy than are included in other policies of lower cost
D.Insuring only those individuals who were rejected by other companies for similar policies
E.Insuring only those individuals who are wealthy enough to pay for the medical services

OG13 CR Q#53

Sir,
The Official answer for this Question is Option A, but after spending so much time I still find it Out of Scope because it deviates from the Sample Enough.

Questions Stem Defines the sample Space : elderly people
Now Option A completely deviates and talks about middle-aged customers

Middle aged Customers are not equal to Elderly People. middle-aged customers are absolutely different age group.

Richa Champion | My GMAT Journey - 470 720 740

Target 760+

Not Improving after Multiple attempts. I can guide You.
Contact me richacrunch2@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8419 [0], given: 102

Re: OG13 CR Q#53 | Person Request to Mike Mc Garry to Reply [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 15:52
crunchboss wrote:
Insurance Company X is considering issuing a new policy to cover services required by elderly people who suffer from diseases that afflict the elderly. Premiums for the policy must be low enough to attract customers. Therefore, Company X is concerned that the income from the policies would not be sufficient to pay for the claims that would be made.
Which of the following strategies would be most likely to minimize Company X's losses on the policies?

A. Attracting middle-aged customers unlikely to submit claims for benefits for many years
B. Insuring only those individuals who did not suffer any serious diseases as children
C. Including a greater number of services in the policy than are included in other policies of lower cost
D. Insuring only those individuals who were rejected by other companies for similar policies
E. Insuring only those individuals who are wealthy enough to pay for the medical services

OG13 CR Q#53

Sir,
The Official answer for this Question is Option A, but after spending so much time I still find it Out of Scope because it deviates from the Sample Enough.

Questions Stem Defines the sample Space : elderly people
Now Option A completely deviates and talks about middle-aged customers

Middle aged Customers are not equal to Elderly People. middle-aged customers are absolutely different age group.

Dear crunchboss,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Many official CR questions are written to have the feel of business in the real world. This particular question would make much more sense if you have had a little experience with ins & outs of the insurance industry.

First of all, it should be clear that (B), (C), (D), and (E) are all disastrous and would not lead to success, so in that sense, POE would lead to (A). I will not discuss those unless you have a question on them.

Choice (A) is not out of scope, for the simple reason that "old age" doesn't have a fixed and definitive beginning. When does a human being start to get old? At 40? at 50? at 65? at 75? You see, there is not just a single clear beginning. Presumably, most of these diseases would afflict folks in, say, their 70s or 80s or 90s. If the company could get folks in their 50s and 60s to buy it, then that would generate lots of income from a temporarily lower-risk group, and of course, eventually those people would enter the higher risk group and need the insurance. Of course, if the insurance company wants to sell the insurance to people in their 50s, it obviously is not going to market the policy as "insurance for the elderly," because no one in their 50s would be interested in that. The company would have to find a creative way to package it (e.g. "addressing health concerns as we age") in order to appeal to folks in their 50s. People in their 50s are aware that they are not as young as they used to be, and they are starting to notice some of the effects of aging, so they naturally would be interested in any insurance that addressed health concerns associated with aging, even though the diseases of the "elderly" would still be a few decades away.

I don't know how much you know about insurance, but the insurance industry does things of this sort all the time! The whole game about insurance is to get enough low risk people into the plan so that they can pay for the high risk folks, and toward that end, the insurance company usually has to market and sell the insurance to a lot of people who have little need for it. That's just the way the business works. Knowing about the way business situations are handled in the real world is very important for the CR:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/gmat-criti ... knowledge/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8419 [0], given: 102

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 19:45
In this question, company X aim is to minimize the loss on the policies. These policies as mentioned in question stem is covering services required by elderly people.
Option A is about attracting middle-aged customers to these policies.
Isn't this option outside the scope of the passage? Why would middle-aged people be interested in policies covering services required by elderly?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 20:42
pzazz12 wrote:

A.Attracting middle-aged customers unlikely to submit claims for benefits for many years
B.Insuring only those individuals who did not suffer any serious diseases as children
C.Including a greater number of services in the policy than are included in other policies of lower cost
D.Insuring only those individuals who were rejected by other companies for similar policies
E.Insuring only those individuals who are wealthy enough to pay for the medical services

I think this question actually require prior knowledge of Insurance Policy, specifically Insurance Company's revenue equal to the premium times the amount of time that the client pays. Some who did not have this prior knowledge would think that "Premiums" in the argument is the total income for the Insurance company and have no thing to do with the installing time.

Well... am I thinking that just because I'm a foreign student? Is it something intuitive to native speakers?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 186

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 12:23
phanthibaovien wrote:

I think this question actually require prior knowledge of Insurance Policy, specifically Insurance Company's revenue equal to the premium times the amount of time that the client pays. Some who did not have this prior knowledge would think that "Premiums" in the argument is the total income for the Insurance company and have no thing to do with the installing time.

Well... am I thinking that just because I'm a foreign student? Is it something intuitive to native speakers?

Though ideally, it is good to have knowledge about the mentioned passage. However, even if you do not have any background you can easily eliminate the wrong answer choices (at least for this argument) - Referred to as POE method

B - Diseases in childhood not even mentioned - So irrelevant
C - It is logical that if you increase services (for most industries for that matter) will increase cost, which means they will further increase the losses - Hence, Out
D - Insuring people who are rejected by other companies - Again here it does not makes sense to give policy to individuals who have been rejected by other insurance companies, it is obvious because insurance company wants to reduce losses
E - Being wealthy is completely irrelevant

So we are left only with A

For all above explanations, we nowhere used terms such as "premium".

Hope this helps.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 186

Re: Insurance Company X is considering issuing a new policy to   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 12:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Insurance Company X is considering issuing a new policy to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap