Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [12]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [6]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [2]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Re: Insurers and doctors are well aware that the incidence of lower back [#permalink]
Kudos
Insurers and doctors are well aware that the incidence of lower-back injuries among office workers who spend long hours sitting is higher than that among people who regularly do physical work of type known to place heavy stress on lower back. This shows that office equipment and furniture are not properly designed to promote workers' health

Conclusion : The office equipment and furniture are not properly designed to promote worker's health, because long hours of sitting leads to higher incidences of lower back injuries.

To question : Is it really the furniture or other reasons that lead to higher back injuries among office workers ? Why do those who take heavy stress on lower back not have injuries ? Is the latter doing something different ?

To undermine the reasoning, one needs to weaken the reasoning i.e. office furniture may not be the reason for the injuries but something else, such as those who are office goers don't perform much physical work or they already have underlining ailments which supplement back injuries.

Given the options, option E fits our reasoning. Keep it simple, you want to attack the reasoning fully and not half way through.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Insurers and doctors are well aware that the incidence of lower back [#permalink]
Kudos
What is the reasoning? Please explain. I chose C.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Insurers and doctors are well aware that the incidence of lower back [#permalink]
Kudos
I ruled out E because I felt it was out of scope. Please provide an explanation for E. GMATNinja Bunuel

thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology
GRE 1: Q166 V156
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
"most undermines" is the keyword here. I got this wrong too :/

(c) people are encouraged
vs
(e) physical exercise is already consistent
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Insurers and doctors are well aware that the incidence of lower-back injuries among office workers who spend long hours sitting is higher than that among people who regularly do physical work of type known to place heavy stress on lower back. This shows that office equipment and furniture are not properly designed to promote workers' health

Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the reasoning above?

Highlighted text is the conclusion.
Office equipment and furniture(A) ---> Workers' bad health(B)

In essence, the passage is saying that office workers have lower-back injuries due to long hours of sitting. Other people who do physical work that puts stress on lower back do have lower-back issues. However, the former cases are more than later.
And this is due to (A).

(A) When they are at home, labours ans office workers tend to spend similar amounts of time sitting. - WRONG. It diverts from actual facts and leads to irrelevant things i.e. sitting at home. It does so by using similar words and logic from the passage, and constructing them smartly.

(B) Insurance companies tend to dislike selling policies to companies whose workers often claim to have back pain. - WRONG. Irrelevant.

(C) People who regularly do physical work of a type known to place heavy stress on the lower back are encouraged to use techniques that reduce degree of stress involved. - WRONG. More clear a choice if someone is left with half-cooked analysis. Yes, it does help us know why the people with physical work might have lesser numbers of cases as compared to office workers. However, it doesn't lets us decide whether office equipment and furniture are the reason. It doesn't attack the conclusion.

(D) Most of lower back injuries that office workers suffer occur while they are on the job. - WRONG. Again irrelevant to known when injuries generally happen. Also, what is said here is evident from the passage.

(E) Consistent physical exercise is one of the most effective ways to prevent or recover from lower back injuries. - CORRECT. This does give a reason to us to believe that it is possible to prevent or recover from lower back injuries. Both categories of people have a reason behind getting rid of injuries but office workers problems become bigger not because of office equipment and furniture but because of this reason.

Answer E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Kudos
kadamhari825 wrote:

Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the reasoning above?

(A) When they are at home, labours ans office workers tend to spend similar amounts of time sitting.
This may be the case however working hours happen throught the office and only a few hors in home therefore out

(B) Insurance companies tend to dislike selling policies to companies whose workers often claim to have back pain.
This is thoroughly out of context and doesn't have any impact

(C) People who regularly do physical work of a type known to place heavy stress on the lower back are encouraged to use techniques that reduce degree of stress involved.
This doesn't address or have any relevance as of why employees are suffering from back pain therefore out
'Devil trap beware'

(D) Most of lower back injuries that office workers suffer occur while they are on the job.
This lends strength to the argument

(E) Consistent physical exercise is one of the most effective ways to prevent or recover from lower back injuries.
This lends strength to weaken the fact that it's not because of the office design but rather the employess inability to look after themselves therefore our choice

Therefore IMO E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Send PM
Insurers and doctors are well aware that the incidence of lower back [#permalink]
thakurarun85 wrote:

Sitting long hours=> more incidences
physical work=>less incidence although more lower back stress.
Hence chairs are bad in design

We need to tell that the trend comparison is not because of bad designs. Prove that the injuries are not increase in office worker, rather decrease in those who do physical work.

(A) When they are at home, labours ans office workers tend to spend similar amounts of time sitting.
This has nothing to do with incidents at work.

(B) Insurance companies tend to dislike selling policies to companies whose workers often claim to have back pain.
Out of scope

(C) People who regularly do physical work of a type known to place heavy stress on the lower back are encouraged to use techniques that reduce degree of stress involved.
This says that the stress is reduced but how this will translate into the design being bad or not bad? however lets keep it.

(D) Most of lower back injuries that office workers suffer occur while they are on the job.
The injuries can happen because of multiple reasons.

(E) Consistent physical exercise is one of the most effective ways to prevent or recover from lower back injuries.
This help with our intended weakening. In fact better then C also.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I think there should've been a choice better than option E here.

Here's my take on Option E: How did we determine that the office workers are not exercising consistently(is it because of the Long work hours?) and how does it undermine the reasoning that the equipment/chairs are designed poorly?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
I think both C and E both weaken the argument, but E is undoubtedly a stronger statement.

Looking at the two side by side:

Quote:

C tells us that these people are encouraged to use techniques that reduce degree of stress involved. Do they actually end up using techniques that reduce the degree of stress? We can't say -- we would need to assume this is the case. The more assumptions we need to make, the weaker the answer choice is.

E, on the other hand, tells us with certainty that consistent physical exercise is one of the most effective ways to prevent or recover from lower back injuries. There is no doubt here -- we're told it is one of the most effective ways to prevent or recover from lower back injuries.

E is the clear winner.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts