Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 989 [75]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [16]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [6]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Re: Intended primarily to stimulate family summer travel, the new airfare [#permalink]
Kudos
generis ,could you please explain which one is correct between C and E.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Re: Intended primarily to stimulate family summer travel, the new airfare [#permalink]
Hi daagh generis GMATNinja

Why is 'lessen' in option D wrong ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
mm007 wrote:
Intended primarily to stimulate family summer travel, the new airfare, which allows both an adult and a child to fly for the price of one ticket, and also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than fourteen.

(A) and also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than
(B) and also lessens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a seven-day minimum from
(C) also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than that of
(D) also lessens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a seven-day minimum from
(E) also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than

GMATNinja @e-GMAT EducationAisle

CAn you please tell why Option C is wrong?
That of can represent minimum of as that can only refer to minimum with the same preposition "Of".
Is it wrong bcoz Option E is more concise
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
altairahmad wrote:

In this case, the "requirement" is a length of time -- some number of minimum days. To "lessen" could mean "to diminish" or "to decrease the severity of." That wouldn't quite make sense here. "Lessening the requirement" kind of makes it sound as though the requirement might be less stringent, and this interpretation is a little vague. Is a lesser requirement a less effective one? One that applies to fewer people? It isn't 100% clear, so "lessen" seems less precise than "shorten." That said, this feels like an awfully subtle distinction, and I'd rather have a more concrete issue to focus on.

The bigger problem with (D) is in this part: "...to a seven-day minimum from fourteen." Notice that we are going from fourteen to a seven-day minimum. In other words, in (D), we are going from a number of days to an X-day minimum. Instead, we should be going from an X-day minimum to a Y-day minimum (i.e. "... from a fourteen-day minimum to a seven-day minimum). (E) avoids this meaning problem by eliminating the word "from."

shanks2020 wrote:
GMATNinja @e-GMAT EducationAisle

CAn you please tell why Option C is wrong?
That of can represent minimum of as that can only refer to minimum with the same preposition "Of".
Is it wrong bcoz Option E is more concise

mm007 wrote:
(C) also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than that of
(E) also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than

The only difference between (C) and (E) is the phrase "that of" added to (C). What do you suppose "that" refers back to? I guess it's "requirement"?

But that gives us: "... shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than [a requirement] of fourteen." At best, there's no need to stick "a requirement" in there, and we could probably argue that it's a little bit confusing. It's not a super-strong reason, but given the choice between the two, there's really no justification for the extra words.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN sir

I have some silly questions to ask:

Quote:
Intended primarily to stimulate family summer travel, the new airfare, which allows both an adult and a child to fly for the price of one ticket, and also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than fourteen.

(D) also lessens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a seven-day minimum from
fourteen

I shortlisted C, D and E immediately in first skim.
I was confused among C, D and E

I read C as: also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than minimum of fourteen- wow seems perfect. But I was wrong.
Still not very clear , because minimum can also be noun .and that refers to minium .

Then When I went to D:
also lessens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a seven-day minimum from
Ok maybe lessens the requirements.- maybe , lessen refer to requirement from 14 to 7- Couldnt reject based on lessens.
I read D as:
also lessens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a seven-day minimum from 14 -(day minimum) - elliptical- Again, sounds right, could not reject D
Then choose D because lessens is with rrequirement; shorten is with time . The meanin refers requirements from X days to Y days . ( change in requirement)

I reject E because minimum vs fourteen: not parallel
minimum than fourteen - absolutely nonsensical

Please suggest AndrewN
< I thought carefully with C , D and E ) but got wrong in analyses of all 3 options

Please guide.

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, mSKR. I will respond to your queries below.

mSKR wrote:
Hi AndrewN sir

I have some silly questions to ask:

Quote:

fourteen

I shortlisted C, D and E immediately in first skim.
I was confused among C, D and E

I read C as: also shortens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a minimum of seven days rather than minimum of fourteen- wow seems perfect. But I was wrong.
Still not very clear , because minimum can also be noun .and that refers to minium .

The problem here is that you are forcing that of to stand in for what you want only, a minimum. Why could it not refer to a requirement, for example? You also have to keep in mind that rather than invokes a comparison, X rather than Y, and X in this case, the noun before the comparison marker, is days. Thus, it makes sense to jump directly into a number-to-number comparison. That of adds nothing but confusion to the sentence.

mSKR wrote:
Then When I went to D:
also lessens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a seven-day minimum from
Ok maybe lessens the requirements.- maybe , lessen refer to requirement from 14 to 7- Couldnt reject based on lessens.
I read D as:
also lessens the advance-purchase requirement for family travel to a seven-day minimum from 14 -(day minimum) - elliptical- Again, sounds right, could not reject D
Then choose D because lessens is with rrequirement; shorten is with time . The meanin refers requirements from X days to Y days . ( change in requirement)

You can lessen the severity of something, but you would reduce a multi-day requirement from X to Y. Lessen is not used in most contexts. But if you were unsure about this point, you could still consider the comparison at the end: to a seven-day minimum from fourteen. The preposition from seems to skew the comparison, as though we are comparing a minimum to a number. If you straighten out the from/to part and adjust accordingly, you get a strange from a fourteen-day minimum to seven. Would you not expect something more like a seven-day minimum to compare like with like? (It would, of course, be inappropriate to simply end with a seven or a seven-day.) Again, you cannot go by what you want to be there, what you want the meaning to be.

mSKR wrote:
I reject E because minimum vs fourteen: not parallel
minimum than fourteen - absolutely nonsensical

Please suggest AndrewN
< I thought carefully with C , D and E ) but got wrong in analyses of all 3 options

Please guide.

Thanks!

In (E), a minimum of prefaces the first item before the comparison marker, rather than: a minimum of seven days rather than... We can make the second item, Y, as short as we want, so long as the correct comparison can be reasonably inferred. Consider:

X rather than Y
a minimum of seven days rather than a minimum of fourteen days
a minimum of seven days rather than fourteen days
a minimum of seven days rather than fourteen

Since days precedes our comparison marker, we should be looking for days after it, and (E) delivers to that end, even if it omits the actual word days. (It is not as though we are scratching our heads asking, Fourteen what? The context fills in the comparison unambiguously.)

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1614
Send PM
Why can't 'that' in Option 'C' refer to minimum here?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
ankitapugalia wrote:
Why can't 'that' in Option 'C' refer to minimum here?

'that' can refer to 'minimum', but it is unnecessarily wordy.

The comparison is crystal clear -- a minimum of seven days rather than fourteen.

We don't need to say a minimum of seven days rather than a minimum of fourteen.

One can also argue that 'that' refers to 'requirement'. Choice E clears up this debate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intended primarily to stimulate family summer travel, the new airfare [#permalink]
altairahmad wrote:

No of days (countable) can be shorten (for a simple reason that we know the exact number here). Also time period is shorten where there is definite time period.

Shorten is to make it short.

Lessen means to diminish or to make less (unknown number).
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Intended primarily to stimulate family summer travel, the new airfare [#permalink]
Kudos