It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:10) correct 42% (01:50) wrong based on 328 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are considering two similarly sized parts of their unused land, each on a completely different part of the farm, to start an avocado field on. An important factor affecting the successful growth of avocado trees, and the fruit they produce, is the population of pests in the area of the field, yet this is less important than whether the soil in the area has a high iron content, iron being the most beneficial nutrient to the plant. To determine which of the two areas would be most profitable to grow avocado trees upon, the owners plan on taking an iron sample from the soil of each area and choosing the area with the highest iron content level based on an analysis of the two samples.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the reason to expect that the owner's plan will succeed?

A) Iron content analysis performed using soil samples can precisely determine the iron deposits for an area of up to thirty thousand square feet by taking only a single soil sample.
B) An insufficient level of iron content in the soil may lead to a low yield of fruit and lower revenues while a pest infestation that is not combated promptly can devastate even a large field in a matter of days.
C) The costs of treating a heavily pest-infested field and treating one that isn't infested at all, but needs protection, are the same, and are lower than treatments of iron soil supplements.
D) If the area with the higher iron content also receives more sunshine than the other, another parameter affecting the healthy growth of avocados, then there will be no doubt which should be used for the plantation.
E) Another vital factor necessary for the growth of avocado trees is an abundant water supply and while the water in the case of the farm in question is supplied to all parts of the farm by the same source, it is not supplied in equal amounts.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 09:08
Mr. Harley,

Could u explain option C?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 12:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sun01 wrote:
Mr. Harley,

Could u explain option C?

Hello sun01

The argument says that farmer should choose field by taking into account two factors:
1) pests presence
2) presence of iron in the soil

The conclusion says that farmer choose field that have more iron so we should find answer that explain why farmer farmer choose field with iron.

A) Iron content analysis performed using soil samples can precisely determine the iron deposits for an area of up to thirty thousand square feet by taking only a single soil sample.
Incorrect. The method of analysis of iron presence says nothing about why farner choose field with iron.

B) An insufficient level of iron content in the soil may lead to a low yield of fruit and lower revenues while a pest infestation that is not combated promptly can devastate even a large field in a matter of days.
Incorrect. This answer leave us in the same position of not understanding why farmer choose field with iron

C) The costs of treating a heavily pest-infested field and treating one that isn't infested at all, but needs protection, are the same, and are lower than treatments of iron soil supplements.
Correct. This answer explain that from the point of profitability the presence of pests and preventive measures costs the same amount of money. Becuase of this new fact we now understand why farmer choose field with iron.

D) If the area with the higher iron content also receives more sunshine than the other, another parameter affecting the healthy growth of avocados, then there will be no doubt which should be used for the plantation.
Incorrect. This is one more condition for decision and we even don't know whether this condition is true. So we still don't know why farmer choose field with iron.

E) Another vital factor necessary for the growth of avocado trees is an abundant water supply and while the water in the case of the farm in question is supplied to all parts of the farm by the same source, it is not supplied in equal amounts.
Incorrect. This is one more condition for decision and we even don't know whether this condition is true. So we still don't know why farmer choose field with iron.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 05:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 18:42
mikemcgarry: How are you Mike? Can you please have a look here and let me know if this question is really worth the time- I chose A over C- A is definitely not the best answer given that it restricts itself only to 30,000 square feet- But I thought that it was the best choice to strengthen the conclusion mentioned because conclusion laid emphasis on the fact that collection of samples was good enough for deciding the iron content of the soil- so I thought that I should look for an answer choice that supports the fact that a sample of soil would be a good indication of how its resources are distributed in reality over a span of area. While C does present cost benefit, How is that relevant for the conclusion i.e depending on soil samples to give us a fair idea of soil's iron content? Can I have your expertise please?

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 10:27
Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are considering two similarly sized parts of their unused land, each on a completely different part of the farm, to start an avocado field on. An important factor affecting the successful growth of avocado trees, and the fruit they produce, is the population of pests in the area of the field, yet this is less important than whether the soil in the area has a high iron content, iron being the most beneficial nutrient to the plant. To determine which of the two areas would be most profitable to grow avocado trees upon, the owners plan on taking an iron sample from the soil of each area and choosing the area with the highest iron content level based on an analysis of the two samples.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the reason to expect that the owner's plan will succeed?

A) Iron content analysis performed using soil samples can precisely determine the iron deposits for an area of up to thirty thousand square feet by taking only a single soil sample. -The land is vast, so we don't know whether one sample per land will suffice or not.
B) An insufficient level of iron content in the soil may lead to a low yield of fruit and lower revenues while a pest infestation that is not combated promptly can devastate even a large field in a matter of days. -We already know that these 2 factors impact the yield of fruits.
C) The costs of treating a heavily pest-infested field and treating one that isn't infested at all, but needs protection, are the same, and are lower than treatments of iron soil supplements. -Correct. If the cost of controlling pest is lower than cost for maintaining the iron content and if the cost of removal of pests is equal to the cost of keeping the pests at bay, then we have a win-win situation.
D) If the area with the higher iron content also receives more sunshine than the other, another parameter affecting the healthy growth of avocados, then there will be no doubt which should be used for the plantation. -This is a fact set. Out of scope
E) Another vital factor necessary for the growth of avocado trees is an abundant water supply and while the water in the case of the farm in question is supplied to all parts of the farm by the same source, it is not supplied in equal amounts. -This is fact set. Out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
mikemcgarry: How are you Mike? Can you please have a look here and let me know if this question is really worth the time- I chose A over C- A is definitely not the best answer given that it restricts itself only to 30,000 square feet- But I thought that it was the best choice to strengthen the conclusion mentioned because conclusion laid emphasis on the fact that collection of samples was good enough for deciding the iron content of the soil- so I thought that I should look for an answer choice that supports the fact that a sample of soil would be a good indication of how its resources are distributed in reality over a span of area. While C does present cost benefit, How is that relevant for the conclusion i.e depending on soil samples to give us a fair idea of soil's iron content? Can I have your expertise please?

Dear bkpolymers1617,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, as a GMAT CR practice question, this question is an embarrassment. It absolutely astonishes me that a company would not be utterly ashamed to make this question public. Where to begin?

The writing in the prompt argument falls far short of the standards of the GMAT. The entire first sentence ends with a preposition, as does the infinitive clause at the beginning of the third sentence: while the GMAT doesn't test this mistake on the the SC, I don't believe I have ever seen an official question of any sort include this construction. The second sentence includes the quite unfortunate absolute phrase "iron being the most beneficial nutrient to the plant"--really? many high schoolers write better than this! Finally, the prompt uses the colloquial construction "the owners plan on taking," a structure far more informal than anything in an official question.

Then the's the prompt question:
Did the people who wrote this question have an familiarity with the GMAT?

I will defend (C) as the logical OA. The second sentence of the prompt makes clear the importance of both pests and iron content. Choice (A) tells us that we can get an accurate appraisal of the iron content, but it doesn't tell us why the owners are ignoring the pests. By contrast, (C) makes abundantly clear why the owners are focusing on iron content of the soil, and not on pests, in the steps they are taking.

Now, having said that, the writing in choice (C) is an excellent candidate for a wrong answer on the GMAT SC. It's really not clear to me whether the person who wrote this question was a native English speaker. All the writing on the GMAT sets a very high bar of well-spoken sophistication, and nothing about this question is even pretending to approach that level.

Here's a high quality CR practice question:
Forging a Flemish master

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 22:00

It is already stated in the premises that PEST factor is less important than IRON factor. We don't need to strengthen this, which is what C doing.

Owner's plan : the owners plan on taking an iron sample from the soil of each area and choosing the area with the highest iron content level based on an analysis of the two samples.

We have to strengthen this plan, that OK that small sample is enough to find out which land is with higher content. which A does.
A should be the ANSWER.

To determine which of the two areas would be most profitable to grow avocado trees upon, the owners plan on taking an iron sample from the soil of each area and choosing the area with the highest iron content level based on an analysis of the two samples.

We have to address this plan.

An important factor affecting the successful growth of avocado trees, and the fruit they produce, is the population of pests in the area of the field, yet this is less important than whether the soil in the area has a high iron content, iron being the most beneficial nutrient to the plant. - C is addressing this. Wrong.
Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 22:00

Interested in growing avocados, the owners of a vast produce farm are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap