GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Investment banks often have conflicting roles. They sometimes act for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: Investment banks often have conflicting roles. They sometimes act for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 12:14
GMATNinja wrote:
faltan wrote:
"... but their analysts also sometimes send unfavorable reports on the financial health of companies for whom they are raising capital to other clients who wish to make investments."

could anyone dissolve this clause? I'm confused with the subject. Who invest to who? reports for client companies and to which "other" clients?

faltan, this clause is a bit of a mouthful! Let me try to clarify it in the context of the rest of the passage:

Quote:
Investment banks often have conflicting roles.

Clear enough, right? Don't worry, it gets worse...

Quote:
They sometimes act for a client company by raising capital from other investment institutions as advantageously as possible,

This is the first "role" of an investment bank. In this part of the sentence, the investment bank is working for a client company. Specifically, they are raising capital as advantageously as possible. On to the part that tripped you up:

Quote:
but their analysts also sometimes send unfavorable reports on the financial health of companies for whom they are raising capital to other clients who wish to make investments.

Here we see the role played by investment banks that conflicts with the role defined in the first part of the sentence. "Their analysts" refer to the investment bank's analysts. What are these analysts doing? They're sending unfavorable reports about client companies. The "client companies" are the same companies referred to in the first clause of the sentence.

Now, instead of working for these companies to advantageously raise capital, the analysts are working against them by sending unfavorable information. And to whom are they sending this information? To "other clients who wish to make investments." These are other clients of the investment bank who want to make an investment in the "client companies."

This is the heart of the conflict: on one hand, the investment banks want to raise capital for their "client companies." On the other hand, if one of their other clients wants to make an investment in their "client companies," they may have to send unfavorable reports and discourage the investment.

I hope this clears it up!

All clear, thanks! i think my knowledge about investment banking was too narrow.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Investment banks often have conflicting roles. They sometimes act for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 08:13
Could someone explain why option c is wrong?

wouldn't the sharing of information pose as a hindrance?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Investment banks often have conflicting roles. They sometimes act for &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jan 2019, 08:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 42 posts ] 

Investment banks often have conflicting roles. They sometimes act for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap