Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618688 [40]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [4]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [3]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who publi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who publicly predict trends in the stock market. If these stockbrokers were really able to predict these trends accurately and wished to profit as much as possible from their own predictions, they would keep this information to themselves.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

A. The greater the accuracy of a stockbroker's past predictions about stock-market trends, the more likely it is that investors will believe the stockbroker's future predictions.
-incorrect

B. Some investors who pay stockbrokers for confidential information about trends in the stock market nevertheless decide to follow their own predictions about these trends
= incorrect as can't be inferred from the passage

C. Most stockbrokers have high enough salaries to live comfortably and thus do not care about getting rich by capitalizing on stock-market trends.
-irelevant

D. The fewer investors who have access to accurate stock market predictions, the more money those who have access to such predictions can make.
-correct as it supports the argument .if everyone knows the future,no profit can be made

E. Because the stock market is unstable, investors unfamiliar with stock-market trading practices have great difficulty predicting trends in the stock market.
-incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Re: Investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who publi [#permalink]
Kudos
Why not A as the answer?
I am confused between A and D.How did one reached to it?
Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
Investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who publi [#permalink]
isnt question asking to support something similar to not believe stockbrocker since they would not revel correct prediction publicly if it were true ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
D4498 wrote:
Why not A as the answer?

as per D broker will make extra money as he have access to special information and hence rather then announcing publicly he will give such important information to those who pay him extra money. NOT IN PUBLICLY
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who publicly predict trends in the stock market. If these stockbrokers were really able to predict these trends accurately and wished to profit as much as possible from their own predictions, they would keep this information to themselves.

If Stock brokers can predict the stocks with such accuracy, then they should keep the predictions to themselves, and make the money.
My Reasoning: As the Stock brokers cannot be held accountable for their predictions, so they display their predictions publicly, irrespective of their accuracy.

From that POV, I went for option C 'Most stockbrokers have high enough salaries to live comfortably and thus do not care about getting rich by capitalizing on stock-market trends.'
because Investors are already rich enough, and do not care for additional money.

I am not able to understand what option D is conveying, it doesn't seem to be clearly worded.
D. The fewer investors who have access to accurate stock market predictions, the more money those who have access to such predictions can make.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who publi [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
isnt question asking to support something similar to not believe stockbrocker since they would not revel correct prediction publicly if it were true ?

You've got to be very careful not to change the meaning of the passage when you summarize it. Since this passage is so short, it is difficult to shorten it much further.

The question asks us to find the answer choice that most supports the argument -- to do this, we need to know what the argument says exactly as it's written.

This conclusion of the passage is that investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who try to predict the market.

The support given for this conclusion is the suggestion that if the stockbrokers could make their predictions accurately, and if they wanted to maximize their profits, they would not reveal these predictions.

Let's take a look at (D) to see how it supports this argument:
Quote:

The passage tells us that stockbrokers would not reveal their predictions if they wanted to maximize their profits. (D) gives us some evidence to support this point -- if the stockbrokers keep their accurate predictions private, they can make more money from them.

This suggests that if the stockbrokers are making their predictions public, we cannot be certain of the accuracy of their predictions or they are not trying to maximize their profits. In either case, an investor should not rely on these predictions.

(D) provides a CONNECTION between the given evidence and the conclusion, which supports the argument as a whole. (D) is the answer to this question.

I hope that helps!

Thank you for the explanation, could you please let me know why is option C incorrect.

According to my understanding
If Stock brokers can predict the stocks with such accuracy, then they should keep the predictions to themselves, and make the money.
My Reasoning: As the Stock brokers cannot be held accountable for their predictions, so they display their predictions publicly, irrespective of their accuracy.

From that POV, I went for option C 'Most stockbrokers have high enough salaries to live comfortably and thus do not care about getting rich by capitalizing on stock-market trends.'
because Investors are already rich enough, and do not care for additional money.

I am not able to understand what option D is conveying, it doesn't seem to be clearly worded.

GMATNinja could you please help me with my query

Originally posted by DivyanshuGupta61 on 05 Jul 2020, 23:20.
Last edited by DivyanshuGupta61 on 15 Jul 2020, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Kudos
B is saying that even if investors listen to stockbrokers, investors do what they feel is correct and best for them.
They follow their own prediction irrespective.
So, B doesn't support the argument

D.
We need to support the argument
Thus, support the conclusion or the evidence first.

D is strengthening the evidence that predicting stocks can actually be profitable to the person who is able to predict accurately.

So D is correctly pointing towards stockbrokers predictability and the money they could easily make with such a prediction.

Therefore, D is our answer

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. The greater the accuracy of a stockbroker's past predictions about stock-market trends, the more likely it is that investors will believe the stockbroker's future predictions.

B. Some investors who pay stockbrokers for confidential information about trends in the stock market nevertheless decide to follow their own predictions about these trends

C. Most stockbrokers have high enough salaries to live comfortably and thus do not care about getting rich by capitalizing on stock-market trends.

E. Because the stock market is unstable, investors unfamiliar with stock-market trading practices have great difficulty predicting trends in the stock market.

CR16815

Conclusion - Investors should not rely on the predictions of the stockbrokers who publicly predict trends in the market.
Premise - If stockbrokers predict accurately and they wish to profit from the information so they will keep the info to themselves.
Assumption - So,If people are publicly predicting trends, it means that either they are disseminating wrong info or they dont know anything about predicting.

Scenario - where either of the assumption comes true. It shows that people are spreading wrong information or prediction is wrong.
D fits in the scenario where it says that the accurate stock predictions are not being told here. Public information is misleading and only few get to know accurate stock market predictions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DivyanshuGupta61 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation, could you please let me know why is option C incorrect.

According to my understanding

We've got a passage breakdown in this post so let's not repeat that here.

Take a look at (C):
Quote:

First, there is no evidence that the stockbrokers cannot be held accountable for their predictions in the passage or in (C).

Second, we need to find the answer choice that strengthens the argument that investors should not rely on stockbrokers' predictions. This is because the stockbrokers would keep their predictions private if the stockbrokers could make accurate predictions and wanted to make as much money as possible.

If the stockbrokers don't care about making money, they would have less incentive to keep their accurate predictions to themselves. In this case, maybe we should rely on their predictions.

Looking at (C) like this, it weakens the argument and, therefore, we should cross it out.

(D) says:
Quote:

While there is a full discussion of (D) here, we can say a little more about it.

The passage is making the claim that we should not trust the predictions of the stockbrokers. The evidence given for this is if those stockbrokers were able to make accurate predictions and wanted to make as much money as possible, they would keep their predictions to themselves.

(D) is the "BECAUSE" behind the evidence. It tells us why stockbrokers would keep accurate predictions to themselves, which in turn supports the conclusion that we shouldn't rely on those predictions.

This is why (D) is the answer to this question.

I hope that helps!
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Could someone explain what's wrong with B? I am still not clear.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
davidbeckham wrote:
Could someone explain what's wrong with B? I am still not clear.

The argument's conclusion is the following:

Investors should not rely on the predictions of stockbrokers who publicly predict trends in the stock market.

To correctly answer the question, we need a choice that supports that conclusion.

Here's (B).

B. Some investors who pay stockbrokers for confidential information about trends in the stock market nevertheless decide to follow their own predictions about these trends.

The fact that some investors follow their own predictions rather than predictions made by brokers does not mean that brokers predictions should not be relied upon. It means only that some people, rightly or wrongly, do not rely on them.

Furthermore, the conclusion is about stockbrokers who publicly predict trends, whereas (B) is about confidential information.

So, the information provided by (B) has no effect on the support for the argument's conclusion.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Top Contributor
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja

I'm confused regarding the fewer.....the more structure as it seems to convey as the number of accurate predictors decrease, the profit made by people who are aware increases....

but in reality if some stock is popular as everyone is buying the price increases right..so more profit

please excuse me if I sound silly. :roll: Im good at confusing people :D
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja

I'm confused regarding the fewer.....the more structure as it seems to convey as the number of accurate predictors decrease, the profit made by people who are aware increases....

but in reality if some stock is popular as everyone is buying the price increases right..so more profit

please excuse me if I sound silly. :roll: Im good at confusing people :D

The statement is about having access to "predictions," in other words, advance information.

An individual would have access to a prediction BEFORE something happens.

After that something happens, the stock would become popular, or the prediction could even be the stock will become popular. Right?

Essentially a prediction is that a stock will become popular. So, if you are the only one who has it, maybe you make more money because you are the only one who buys before the stock becomes popular.

Alternatively, if a stockbroker has such a prediction, the stockbroker could make a lot of money by selling a stock to person after person before the prediction proves correct, but if everyone has the information, the stock will move before the stockbroker has a chance to do so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
To solve this, you just need to list certain elements and consider the 'correlation/equivalence':
Stimulus: Accuruate ==> Keep to themself. Also appratently Accruate ===> Means more money (who bought the stock regardless investor/stockbroker)

Analysis:
Accuruate = Keep to themself = Less people know
Accuruate = More money
Hence:
Less people know = more money
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
D4498 wrote:
Why not A as the answer?

For anyone who is asking why A is not the answer: read option A more carefully. Option A is a general statement in the context of the argument. It neither weakens nor strengthens the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos