GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 17:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is 38 a good age for MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Is 38 a good age for MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 08:19
Hello,
I am 37 years Indian male planning to enrol in a Full time MBA. My first choice is INSEAD. I have 15.5 years of aerospace industry exposure (Airbus) with 8 years of management experience. Currently I am in operations job and work closely with COO- although he is not my direct boss.
I am also involved in a startup- not as a founder but as a partner.
I have good international experience as well with 3 years working in UK, 5 months in China, and few months in France and Germany.
I have few questions:
1. What are my prospects of getting admission?
2. How much minimum GMAT do I need?
3. Will it be easy to get a job after MBA?
Someone please help.
Regards,
Nitin

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
HEC & IMD School Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC'22 (J), IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Is 38 a good age for MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 09:27
Hi nakmahon ..
Welcome to GMAT. You have very low chances to get admit because of age, huge experience, over represented pool of Indians, etc. I would recommend to consider EMBA programs. They will be more beneficial to you at this stage.

Any suggestions MBAPrepCoach ..
nakmahon wrote:
Hello,
I am 37 years Indian male planning to enrol in a Full time MBA. My first choice is INSEAD. I have 15.5 years of aerospace industry exposure (Airbus) with 8 years of management experience. Currently I am in operations job and work closely with COO- although he is not my direct boss.
I have good international experience as well with 3 years working in UK, 5 months in China, and few months in France and Germany.
I have few questions:
Someone please help.
Regards,
Nitin

Posted from my mobile device

Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Is 38 a good age for MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 18:07
Let me answer this question based on my (in-person/online) interaction with ISB Admission team-

Let us consider that you have a decent GMAT score (710+) and a compelling story (Essay) that secures an interview call.

Now, the first thing (IMO) ISB will try to understand is that why are you going for a full-time program? (PGP). Candidates in your age and equivalent to your work experience generally opts for part-time/executive courses (say PGP-Pro). So, you must have absolute clarity on this. Until and unless you are convinced then it's way too difficult to convince the admission team.

Secondly, please study the placement report for the target school (Browse https://gmatclub.com/forum/insead-201/, attend webinars/speak to AdCom and alumni) to understand whether your target companies visit the campus or not. If not then you have to go out in the market and secure interview invites in the last month of your MBA; are you comfortable doing that (Read ready to take the risk?)Now, a lot of other important factors also come into play- are you proficient in French? Do you want to work in UK/Singapore? etc.

CC MBAPrepCoach

I hope I've touched upon few pointers which you must discuss with an admission consultant/expert. I recommend you get in touch with MBACrystalBall & BenCrackVerbal

Let me recommend you an ambitious yet safe bet, since you're and Indian you'll understand. (I'm also assuming that you're married and your spouse lives in India)

Go for the IIM-B full time program. Indian B schools attract a large pool of companies on campus. In worst case situation, you might have to wait for one month and given your experience you can easily join a start-up firm. INSEAD is a great school, if you get into the program you'll definitely get a job but before taking such a high risk evaluate all these options and think of worst case scenarios.

Check This: What Are My Chances - Evaluate Your Profile!

nakmahon wrote:
H
2. How much minimum GMAT do I need? <These are common questions for an MBA aspirant, it also tells me that you're considering INSEAD as an end goal and not a stepping stone for a well researched career shift/progress>
Someone please help.

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 23:20
Top Contributor
nakmahon wrote:
Hello,
I have few questions:
Someone please help.
Regards,
Nitin

Hi nakmahon

Thanks for posting. Some definite positives in your profile there, including niche industry, and solid international experience. On your questions:
1. Prospects of making it to INSEAD are low as you would be considered too experienced for the full-time MBA class. INSEAD would in all probability ask you to consider their EMBA program instead.
2. You need to first decide on the programs that you would be applying to. At this point, the Sloan Fellows programs would be much better fits, as they are meant for people with 15+ years of experience, and are full time MBA programs. For those, you should be looking at 650+ minimum, and of course higher the better. Some of those programs, such as the LBS one, do also waive off GMAT requirements on a case by case basis.
3. Depends on what you are looking at, and where you go. Generally, most participants in EMBA programs (and many in the Sloan Fellows programs too) end up returning to their earlier employers, in higher roles. At 15+ years of experience, placements are more lateral than school-enabled, even from full-time programs. That said, people have managed to change employers and even functions through the Sloan Fellows programs. In some cases (rarer), industry shifts have happened too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2020, 03:34
Thanks all for your response. I understand the experience part but I am stuck in this job for quite some time and due to salary range and kind of industry experience it is getting difficult for me to change industry and profile. I would still like to try GMAT and see if I can secure a seat in INSEAD. This will be a chance for me to reflect upon myself. I am never afraid of hard work and 200% sure that I will be able to cope up with 10 months of rigorous hardwork.
I will be needing few tips and tricks to complete my application and will come back again for help.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2020, 04:58
Hi there,

I am in a similar situation in terms of age....the way I see it is that if pursuing an MBA at a top school is your personal goal a you should go for it!!

I wish you all the best.
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2020, 06:15
japo17 and nakmahon

the idea of "going for it" sounds nice but you are going to waste your time, money and energy trying to get into INSEAD at this age.

It's a very, very long application and a big commitment.

Please spare yourself the disappointment. Your options are as follows: Sloan Fellows programs (see Gyan's link above) - the LBS Sloan Masters program round 1 deadline is in March and Round 2 in May. It's a one year full time program. IMD - but only maybe. Average age is 31, the highest among full time programs. Then, part time programs, still a long shot but possible, and executive programs.

japo17 wrote:
Hi there,

I am in a similar situation in terms of age....the way I see it is that if pursuing an MBA at a top school is your personal goal a you should go for it!!

I wish you all the best.

Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2020, 08:09
Hello,
Maybe you are right, but I feel to give it a try at least once. I do not like to think later that what if I would have tried and got it.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is 38 a good age for MBA?   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2020, 08:09

Is 38 a good age for MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto