Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [35]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [13]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: Is |a| > |b|? (1) b < -a (2) a < 0 [#permalink]
Bunuel,
This is a very silly question. Kindly pardon me, when i approached this Q i chose (A)
b < -a is the same as -a > b which means lal > lbl right ?

And another doubt, when do u substitute values for Inequalities / Solve the inequality / use the number line. I am very naive in using the number line so .. kindly mention when to use which approach.

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
thinktank wrote:
Bunuel,
This is a very silly question. Kindly pardon me, when i approached this Q i chose (A)

And another doubt, when do u substitute values for Inequalities / Solve the inequality / use the number line. I am very naive in using the number line so .. kindly mention when to use which approach.

Thanks

Yes, \(-a > b\) is the same as \(b < -a\), but it does NOT mean that \(|a| > |b|\). Consider: \(a=-1\) and \(b=-2\) --> \(-a=1>-2=b\) but \(|a|=1<2=|b|\).

As for your other question: it really depends on the particular problem at hand and personal preferences to choose which approach to take.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Bunuel,

Thanks

Yes, \(-a > b\) is the same as \(b < -a\), but it does NOT mean that \(|a| > |b|\). Consider: \(a=-1\) and \(b=-2\) --> \(-a=1>-2=b\) but \(|a|=1<2=|b|\).

As for your other question: it really depends on the particular problem at hand and personal preferences to choose which approach to take.

@Bunuel

I have this doubt:

b<-a...let say a= -3 and b=-5, (as given b<-a..it means b is also negative.). so mod of b> mod of a...hence A is suff. ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sunshinewhole wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Bunuel,

Thanks

@Bunuel

I have this doubt:

b<-a...let say a= -3 and b=-5, (as given b<-a..it means b is also negative.). so mod of b> mod of a...hence A is suff. ?

One example is NOT enough to say that a statement is sufficient.

Consider a=-5 and b=-3, to get the different answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
goodyear2013 wrote:
Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < -a
(2) a < 0

Question: Is |a| > |b|?
We need to find whether absolute value of a is more than absolute value of b.

Statement II is certainly not sufficient alone.

Statement I: b < -a
To analyse it, we need to consider two cases: 'a is positive' and 'a is negative'. Let's start with a is negative since that is stmnt II. If we see that it is not sufficient, we know that the answer would be (E).

If a is negative (say -5), -a is positive(say 5). We know that b is less than 5. b could be 2 or it could be -10. In one case, |b| is less than |a| and in the other, it is greater.

Hence, both statements together are not sufficient. Answer (E)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
goodyear2013 wrote:
Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < -a
(2) a < 0

We need to determine whether |a| > |b|.

Statement One Alone:

b < -a

We can rearrange the inequality in statement one to read:

b + a < 0

We do not have enough information to determine whether |a| > |b|.

For instance, if a = -3 and b = 2, |a| IS greater than |b|. However, if a = -1 and b = -2, |a| IS NOT greater than |b|. Statement one alone is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

a < 0

Just knowing that a < 0 is not enough information to answer the question. Similar to statement one, if a = -3 and b = 2, |a| IS greater than |b|; however, if a = -1 and b = -2, |a| IS NOT greater than |b|. Statement two alone is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statements one and two we know that b + a < 0 and a < 0. However, we still do not have enough information to determine whether |a| > |b|. As mentioned above, if a = -3 and b = 2, |a| IS greater than |b|; however, if a = -1 and b = -2, |a| IS NOT greater than |b|.

Answer: E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20709 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Is |a| > |b|?

The question asks whether a is further from 0 than b.

(1) \(b < -a\) --> \(b + a < 0\). The sum of two numbers is less than 0. This is clearly insufficient to say which one is further from 0. Not sufficient.

(2) \(a < 0\). Also insufficient.

(1)+(2) The sum of a and b is less than 0 and a is negative. How can we say which one is further from 0? If \(a = -1\) and \(b = -2\), then b is further but if \(a = -2\) and \(b = -1\), then a is further. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Bunuel, What does it means?

Originally posted by BillyZ on 19 Jan 2017, 04:12.
Last edited by BillyZ on 12 Feb 2017, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [1]
Send PM