Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
naturallight wrote:
Is anyone else thinking about taking a federal student loan even though you don't *need* it?

Federal student loans have pretty decent interest rates, and plus you get to deduct the interest if you itemize your taxes (I think).

So you keep your stocks and bonds invested in the market. You borrow to cover your tuition. If the market goes up by more than the loan rate, you win. If the market goes down, you're pretty screwed, especially if you work in an industry that's correlated with the market.

But as long as you can make the mininum payments without selling your assets, you can take a long-term view and (hopefully) come out ahead.

What does everyone think?

Yea I thought about it, but I just didnt see an upside... unless you can get it unsubsidized... youd have to make 10% or so to just break even...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
pelihu wrote:
Both federal and private loans are only available up to the total cost of attending right?

Yes, but "total cost" is objective. You can take out quite a bit in "living expenses." I've heard of people paying for engagement rings with their student loans (not officially). I budgeted for all kinds of travel and extras when I submitted my loan application.

Also, your federal loan amount will probably only cover a fraction of your overall cost.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
brown wrote:
rhyme wrote:
naturallight wrote:
Is anyone else thinking about taking a federal student loan even though you don't *need* it?

Yea I thought about it, but I just didnt see an upside...

Federal student loans have deferred payments and are 0% interest while in school, right? So you can take out the loan and pay it all off after graduation. In the meantime, you can invest your money elsewhere.

Please correct me if that's wrong... in that case, I need to decline federal loans :)

I thought you could only borrow up to $8,500 at 0% interest while in school (the rest, up to $18K, is NOT interest free for two years), and ONLY if you qualify - that is, if your assets dont preclude you from qualifying. Otherwise.... you incur interest on all of it - from the moment you get it.

Presumably, if you don't NEED the money, you wont qualify for it on in a subsidized state (0% interest for 2 years) - in which case you'll pay 6.8%, which, while low, isnt risk free low - that is, to make that money earn at least 6.8% - post tax, you'd have to be making 8 or 9% minimum.

Namely:

A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. You wont be charged any interest before you begin repayment or during deferment periods. The federal government subsidizes the interest during these periods.

# You must have submitted a FAFSA.
# For subsidized Stafford loans, you must have financial need as determined by your school.
# You must be a U.S. citizen or national, a U.S. permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen.

So, if I've read things correctly, the BEST I can do is get $8,500 in interest free stuff for 2 years - assuming I qualify - but you still pay a fee...

"You�ll pay a fee of up to 4 percent of the loan, deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement. (Part of the fee is for insurance used to pay off loan defaults; the rest reduces the cost of the loan to the government.) Because of this deduction, you'll receive slightly less than the amount you're borrowing."

So I pay 4% on the 8500 - or $340 ... So I get to invest $8,160 for 2 years interest free - assuming I make 5% each year - I walk away with $8996, and owe $8500 - I make less than $500 - BEFORE taxes. If instead, I loose 5% each year - I loose about $1100.

All that paperwork, hassle, fees and RISK - even with the interest free loan!! - to MAYBE make an extra $10 a month doesnt seem worthwhile.

Aaudetat, correct me if im wrong ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Think of your school debt as a mortgage. Don't think of it as like credit card debt. It's "smart" debt, a true investment, not just money that you blew on plasma TV's and cars.

And whenever you're having trouble getting motivated to study, or if you're thinking of blowing off a study session so you can go see Chris Robinson's solo show at the house of blues, think to yourself, "Oh dam, I'm paying a lot of money to do this business school thing, I better make the most of it."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am freaking out about it a little. Thats a hefty monthly payment that commits you to having to work at a certain salary level for quite a long time. A former colleague of mine actually advised against business school for this very reason. He had come to view those monthly payments as a yoke that kept him from doing the kind of stuff he really wanted to do with his life.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
I am freaking out about it a little. Thats a hefty monthly payment that commits you to having to work at a certain salary level for quite a long time. A former colleague of mine actually advised against business school for this very reason. He had come to view those monthly payments as a yoke that kept him from doing the kind of stuff he really wanted to do with his life.

Bingo.. exactly what I'm worried about.

Squali83 - I'm definately leaning towards tech due to the cheaper tuition, plus I have free rent there. I'd love to got to Vandy, but the debt is scaring me off..I guess you can say I'm having cold feet right now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:

Damn this scenario scares the hell out of me...

Motivation to do an MBA is to explore diverse careers or do what i truly wanna do but if the HUGE debt that i will incur might screw the whole plans

scary...real scary
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Amorica,
Free rent def helps! That is really nice. As for being scared about debt, I have yet to meet a MBA that regrets making the move to pursue the degree. Almost everyone cherishes their time in school and says it was two of the most wonderful years of their life. Even though the debt is substantial, I would say it makes sense to worry but your worries should be eased.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Debt in this case isn't a horrible thing, lets do the math:

Say you spend 100-150k on an MBA, your prior salary was say 75k and your post is 110k, you have effectively increased your salary by 35k or around 1400 per month after tax. 150k at 6.5% over 15 years is $1300 a month, 100k at 6.5% over 15 years is $872 per month. So even on the high side, you are still technically ahead of the game. Worst case scenario, you put off buying a house for 5 years and agressively pay down debt first.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Did you miss the lost wages in your calculation ?

piper41955 wrote:
Debt in this case isn't a horrible thing, lets do the math:

Say you spend 100-150k on an MBA, your prior salary was say 75k and your post is 110k, you have effectively increased your salary by 35k or around 1400 per month after tax. 150k at 6.5% over 15 years is $1300 a month, 100k at 6.5% over 15 years is $872 per month. So even on the high side, you are still technically ahead of the game. Worst case scenario, you put off buying a house for 5 years and agressively pay down debt first.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The OP was worried about debt incurred, not the total cost of the MBA. Lost wages in this case will not significantly increase debt load assuming that debt covers your needs as well as tuition.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good info natty light :). The specifics for supplemental and private loans can vary by school. Some schools have preferred lenders that offer guaranteed loans in conjunction with the school. Some schools even guarantee loans for international students who wouldn't otherwise be able to borrow educational loans in the US.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]

Federal student loans have pretty decent interest rates, and plus you get to deduct the interest if you itemize your taxes (I think).

So you keep your stocks and bonds invested in the market. You borrow to cover your tuition. If the market goes up by more than the loan rate, you win. If the market goes down, you're pretty screwed, especially if you work in an industry that's correlated with the market.

But as long as you can make the mininum payments without selling your assets, you can take a long-term view and (hopefully) come out ahead.

What does everyone think?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the federal loan interest rate is around 6.8%.Even if you put your money in an online savings account such as ING (~5% interest rate) the difference is marginal. Might as well take the federal loan. Private loans at prime plus rates is a different story.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Both federal and private loans are only available up to the total cost of attending right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:

As far as I know, thats right.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
naturallight wrote:

Yea I thought about it, but I just didnt see an upside...

Federal student loans have deferred payments and are 0% interest while in school, right? So you can take out the loan and pay it all off after graduation. In the meantime, you can invest your money elsewhere.

Please correct me if that's wrong... in that case, I need to decline federal loans :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3