GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is b < 0 ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2016
Posts: 80
Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 06:55
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:05) correct 40% (01:29) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is b < 0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3692
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 07:03
1
Manonamission wrote:
Is b<0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b

Please help in understanding the solution?


Statement 1 : \(b^3 < b\), here b could be a fraction less than 1 or it could be a negative integer. Hence, insufficient.

Statement 2 : \(b^2 > b\), here b could be negative integer or a positive integer but not a fraction less than 1. Hence, insufficient.

Combining , From 1 and 2 together, we can say b canot be a fraction or a positive integer, hence, it MUST be -ve. Sufficient. Answer C.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2016
Posts: 80
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 07:55
abhimahna wrote:
Manonamission wrote:
Is b<0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b

Please help in understanding the solution?


Statement 1 : \(b^3 < b\), here b could be a fraction less than 1 or it could be a negative integer. Hence, insufficient.

Statement 2 : \(b^2 > b\), here b could be negative integer or a positive integer but not a fraction less than 1. Hence, insufficient.

Combining , From 1 and 2 together, we can say b canot be a fraction or a positive integer, hence, it MUST be -ve. Sufficient. Answer C.
ou

Can you please specify how b could be a fraction < 1 or could be a negative integer via mathematical calculation?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6549
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 08:20
Manonamission wrote:
Is b < 0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b


Hi,

(1) \(b^3<b.......b^3-b<0......b(b^2-1)<0\)
Two cases..
b is positive then b^2-1<0 or b^2<1.... b is between 0and1.. possible
b is negative then b^2-1>0 or b^2>1...b is less than -1... possible
So b can be >0 or <0..
Insufficient..

(2) \(b^2>b.....b^2-b>0.......b(b-1)>0\)
Again two cases..
b is positive, then b-1also has to be >0....b-1>0....b>1.... possible
b is negative, then b-1<0....b<1....... possible
Insufficient..

Combined..
I) if b is positive, FROM statement 1, b should be between 0&1 AND FROM statement 2, b>1.... not possible
II) if b is negative, FROM statement 1, b should be less than -1 AND FROM statement 2, b is less than 1.... possible
Means b is less than -1

Sufficient... b<0....
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3692
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 08:46
1
Manonamission wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Manonamission wrote:
Is b<0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b

Please help in understanding the solution?


Statement 1 : \(b^3 < b\), here b could be a fraction less than 1 or it could be a negative integer. Hence, insufficient.

Statement 2 : \(b^2 > b\), here b could be negative integer or a positive integer but not a fraction less than 1. Hence, insufficient.

Combining , From 1 and 2 together, we can say b canot be a fraction or a positive integer, hence, it MUST be -ve. Sufficient. Answer C.
ou

Can you please specify how b could be a fraction < 1 or could be a negative integer via mathematical calculation?


\(b^3 < b\) can be written as \(b^3 - b < 0\) or \(b(b^2 -1)<0\)

This would mean b could be anything out of b<0 or b<1 or b<-1. That means b could be 1/2 also. In all the cases the equation will be satisfied.

Similarly, \(b^2 > b\) can be written as \(b^2 - b> 0\) or \(b(b-1)>0\), which means either b>1 or b<0.

Combining both the statements, I can say b < 0. Hence, Sufficient.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Retired Moderator
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1731
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 01:34
Manonamission wrote:
Is b < 0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b


from 1

b is a +ve fraction or b is -ve..insuff

from 2

1<b or b -ve

from both together the common denominator of b is b<0... suff
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Oct 2016
Posts: 2
Is b<0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 02:18
(1) b(^3)<b
(2) b(^2)>b

that is a question from manhattan Algebra book. The answer the manual suggests is C, but I have a doubt. It's true that the first statement is insufficient, but what about the second one?

In my opinion, If b(^2)>b, and I divide both the left term and the right term for b, the result is b>0, so that's sufficient.

The book solve this question testing it with real numbers:
first using b=2, so 4>2.
then using b=-2, so 4>-2.
Because both a positive and a negative number are possible solutions, that is not sufficient.

So i'm asking why simplifying the inequality dividing for b is not the right method.

Thank you.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47983
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 02:25
Aletoz wrote:
(1) b(^3)<b
(2) b(^2)>b

that is a question from manhattan Algebra book. The answer the manual suggests is C, but I have a doubt. It's true that the first statement is insufficient, but what about the second one?

In my opinion, If b(^2)>b, and I divide both the left term and the right term for b, the result is b>0, so that's sufficient.

The book solve this question testing it with real numbers:
first using b=2, so 4>2.
then using b=-2, so 4>-2.
Because both a positive and a negative number are possible solutions, that is not sufficient.

So i'm asking why simplifying the inequality dividing for b is not the right method.

Thank you.


Merging topics. Please refer to the discussion above.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47983
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 02:30
Aletoz wrote:
(1) b(^3)<b
(2) b(^2)>b

that is a question from manhattan Algebra book. The answer the manual suggests is C, but I have a doubt. It's true that the first statement is insufficient, but what about the second one?

In my opinion, If b(^2)>b, and I divide both the left term and the right term for b, the result is b>0, so that's sufficient.

The book solve this question testing it with real numbers:
first using b=2, so 4>2.
then using b=-2, so 4>-2.
Because both a positive and a negative number are possible solutions, that is not sufficient.

So i'm asking why simplifying the inequality dividing for b is not the right method.

Thank you.


As for your question: we cannot divide b^2 > b by b because we don't know the sign of b. If b > 0, then when dividing we get b > 1 BUT if b < 0, then when dividing we get b < 1 (recall that we should flip the sign of an inequality if we multiply/divide it by negative value).

Never multiply (or reduce) an inequality by a variable (or the expression with a variable) if you don't know its sign.

For more check the links below:
Inequalities Made Easy!

Solving Quadratic Inequalities - Graphic Approach
Inequality tips
Wavy Line Method Application - Complex Algebraic Inequalities

DS Inequalities Problems
PS Inequalities Problems

700+ Inequalities problems

inequalities-trick-91482.html
data-suff-inequalities-109078.html
range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html
graphic-approach-to-problems-with-inequalities-68037.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 532
Premium Member
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 01:54
Manonamission wrote:
Is b < 0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b


Dear Moderator,
I have another question , why is another rule of inequality not working here :

"When two inequalities have different signs , they can be subtracted , and we take the sign of the inequality from which we subtract".

hence \(b^3- b^2 < 0\)

\(b^2(b-1) <0\)
here b can be 1/2 or any negative number , hence this way after combining 1+2 we get that b can be >0 or b<0 hence insuff.

Where/what is the flaw in the above thank you.
_________________

- Stne

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47983
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 02:07
1
stne wrote:
Manonamission wrote:
Is b < 0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b


Dear Moderator,
I have another question , why is another rule of inequality not working here :

"When two inequalities have different signs , they can be subtracted , and we take the sign of the inequality from which we subtract".

hence \(b^3- b^2 < 0\)

\(b^2(b-1) <0\)
here b can be 1/2 or any negative number , hence this way after combining 1+2 we get that b can be >0 or b<0 hence insuff.

Where/what is the flaw in the above thank you.


You subtracted correctly.

\(b^2(b - 1) < 0\) gives b < 1 (b ≠ 0). But we have two other inequalities and we cannot ignore them. I'll let you find what ranges each of them gives and what is the intersection of these ranges.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 532
Premium Member
Re: Is b < 0 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 03:08
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:
Manonamission wrote:
Is b < 0 ?

(1) b^3 < b
(2) b^2 > b


Dear Moderator,
I have another question , why is another rule of inequality not working here :

"When two inequalities have different signs , they can be subtracted , and we take the sign of the inequality from which we subtract".

hence \(b^3- b^2 < 0\)

\(b^2(b-1) <0\)
here b can be 1/2 or any negative number , hence this way after combining 1+2 we get that b can be >0 or b<0 hence insuff.

Where/what is the flaw in the above thank you.


You subtracted correctly.

\(b^2(b - 1) < 0\) gives b < 1 (b ≠ 0). But we have two other inequalities and we cannot ignore them. I'll let you find what ranges each of them gives and what is the intersection of these ranges.



Right , after reading your response , the answer just hit me .
I should have brought all the variables to one side and then subtracted to get the correct range of b.

\(b^3 < b\)
\(b^3 - b <0\)
\(b(b^2 -1)<0\)
here b can be b <-1 and 0<b<1 so Insuff.

\(b^2 > b\)
\(b^2 - b >0\)
b(b-1)>0
here b<0 or b >1 hence insuff.

so clearly intersection of these ranges is b<-1

My Flaw : while combining both equations instead of bringing all the variables to one side and subtracting as below:
( Subtraction statement 2 from 1 after bringing all the variables to left side )
\(b(b^2 -1) - (b^2 - b) < 0\)
after simplification, the above eqn. becomes \(b(b^2-1-b)+1<0\) we find that only for b< -1 this eqn is satisfied.

I was simply doing \(b^3- b^2 <b-b\)
\(b^3- b^2 <0\)
\(b^2(b-1) <0\) so this eqn. does not give the true values
rather \(b(b^2-1-b)+1<0\) gives the true values of b.
_________________

- Stne

Re: Is b < 0 ? &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jul 2018, 03:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is b < 0 ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.