Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Is it good to give up on some question types? [#permalink]
It all depends on your target score if you are targeting 550-680, then leaving some questions can be a good strategy. However if your target score is 700 or above, then leaving difficult questions is counter productive. Your scaled score is cumulative weighted average of the questions. Harder questions have greater weight-age. Answering 15 easy questions will give you lower score than answering 15 tough questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
On combinatorics questions, if I had not figured out the process or approach to solve within the first 30 seconds, I was going to the next problem. The balance you need is important on the real test because if you get behind on the pacing, it will be extremely tough to get back inline. I agree with the other post that you need to answer tough questions consistently if you want to score past 700, but then you need to be comfortable getting 700-800 questions and doing them efficiently. I would say if you can easily get past 600-700 questions, then start to tackle more and more 700-800 questions to get in a good rhythm.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I'm scoring around 700-720 in my manhattan tests but I really struggle with my timing . On both sections , I end up being in a situation where I have to answer 15 questions in the last 15 minutes !

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
From everything you are saying, you have a serious timing issue. Under no circumstance should you ever have 15 questions and 15 minutes. If you are using the 3 minute MAX rule on any question you should never put yourself in that position. My advice is to start going back through questions that took you too long and put them in your error log. You need to start recognizing why questions are taking you too long so you can start answering those questions in a more efficient manor. You should not be spending 3 4 or 5 minutes on a question hoping to get it right, just so you have immediately guess on 1-2 questions later in the test. That costs you way too many points. You need to work on your timing, as well as your benchmarks you should be hitting throughout the test so you know at all times that you are on track. If you spend more than 3 minutes on ANY quesiton in your practice, add it to your error log. Go back and figure out why it took you too long. Did you approach it the wrong way? Was there a shortcut you missed? Did you sit there scratching your head for 2 minutes? What was it? Start learning, so that right when you see any questions your pen hits the scratch pad and you start working through the problem in the most efficient way possible. This will take time and practice, but you MUST start addressing this now, b/c the GMAT will crush you for poor timing.

Check out this post:
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
What are some of the common question types that are really time consuming ? For instance a lot of ppl say boldface questions in CR is difficult , probability and combinatorics questions are difficult.

Do you guys follow a strategy of giving up immediately on time consuming questions ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hello,

Difficulty of question is really a subjective matter, some area you may find easy could be very difficult for someone else.

However, never discard a question on the basis of type of Question, because you are not aware that whether the question thrown at you is really difficult or not.

For example - in case of probability of combinations, suppose you get the 1st question of your quant from any of these areas, the question might be too simple just testing your basics for the same area. If you have developed a notion that you do not wanna try questions from the per-determined area, you may loose on easy questions as well.

Ideal strategy

1) Determine your strengths and weakness firts (topic wise / area wise), take help of error log for the same
2) For your weaknesses, use first 20/30 seconds (for CR and quant) to determine whether you would really like to give more time to try the question or not, if you think you can crack it with time, give time else make intelligent guess and move on.
3) You can prepare list of general strategies to be used for intelligent guessing (believe me it works)

Good Luck
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thanks for all the input guys !

Although Would it be wise to change my timing strategy this late on considering I'm just three weeks away from my test date ? Besides I'm scoring around 700-720 on MGMAT tests and this is what I want to score on the actual GMAT . So does it make sense to change me strategy now or just stick to what's working fine ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys !

Although Would it be wise to change my timing strategy this late on considering I'm just three weeks away from my test date ? Besides I'm scoring around 700-720 on MGMAT tests and this is what I want to score on the actual GMAT . So does it make sense to change me strategy now or just stick to what's working fine ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hello,

Honestly speaking, you can work on the same and you can improve on your timing strategies (specially the aspects discussed on the thread), do not make wholesale changes in your timings strategy, the matter is about tackling the issues of the difficult areas that you have identified.

Identify your weakness areas first, make two three educated guessing strategies and you are on your way !! , i would always prefer to make an educated guess with 20/30 seconds on question rather skip the Q.

If you need help on the same, let me know with the areas that you feel you want to devise educating strategies, i might give you insight into it ( but please understand its gonna be intelligent guessing :) )

good luck
Retired Moderator
Send PM
@oasisgc

Thanks !

In quant I feel I take a lot of time with inscribed figures ( geometry) ,absolute value equations , inequalities . But quant overall isn't really a problem ( I'm scoring 49-51in MGMAT tests )

Verbal is were I struggle with som question types . I take a lot of time to do SC questions ( infant , I do CR questions faster than i do SC questions ) . I find that I keep reading SC questions over and over again to figure out mistakes .

RC - i need some help with inference questions and structure questions . RC is easily my weakest of th 3 question types .

Any suggestions ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I used to get caught up trying to solve a single problem and taking 3 - 4 minutes, it does not help your overall score... Uses a stop watch while practising and do not let any question go beyond 2.5 minutes, beyond 2 mins,start eliminating and pick the one that makes the most sense and move on...
Retired Moderator
Send PM
@mbadreamzz - which question types did you find time consuming ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Bot