Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [1]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Send PM
Re: Is it too late to start for GMAT prep now? [#permalink]
Rushabhjinwala wrote:
I just started preparing for GMAT and realized that I am very late. I was wondering if it was worth pursuing GMAT now if I want to go in the September 2020 intake. I have the luxury of spending 5 - 6 hours daily for studies. I was wondering if it would be too late by the time I get my scores and apply for colleges.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Rushabh,

Let me be frank with you. I have been through the same phase and I went into an absolute chaos. Last year (October 2018), I started preparing for GMAT - I juggled between my hectic job and endless GMAT studies. I ended up taking the GMAT on November 17th and scored a 660. Taking into consideration my work experience and work profile, that score would give me only a slim chance to get over the line. I knew that I would not be able to apply to any schools and hence I left it.

Therefore, my advice would be to not rush into this. Take your time, figure things out. Also, GMAT is only one factor in the applications. There is a huge storm that comes after you get your desired score: it is called the Application.

My advice:
Start preparing for the GMAT now, and take your time. Make a study plan that complements everything else you do in a typical day, and form a habit.
Let's say you start preparing now, and you take the GMAT by January 2020:
Scenario 1: You get your desired score - Awesome! Now you can take your time and shortlist schools, understand what MBA suits your needs
Scenario 2: You fall short of your desired score - No worries! You have ample time to retake and get to that score.

Fast forward to 2021 - Rushabh is in his dream B-School doing his MBA!

Do let me know if you have any questions for me!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3
Send PM
Dillesh4096 wrote:
Rushabhjinwala wrote:
I just started preparing for GMAT and realized that I am very late. I was wondering if it was worth pursuing GMAT now if I want to go in the September 2020 intake. I have the luxury of spending 5 - 6 hours daily for studies. I was wondering if it would be too late by the time I get my scores and apply for colleges.

Hi Rushabh,

Welcome to GMATCLUB.

Have you given any competitive exam before?

If yes, it should not be a problem at all. Even if you haven’t given one, with a little effort you should be able to apply for round 2 or worst case round 3 for 2020 intake.

Can you help with me following to suggest better?

1. Your target score

2. Work experience and education background

3. Which schools you’re targeting for

Regards

Hi Dillesh,

I was also going through the same kind of dilemma. Am I too late for R2/R3

I am planning to apply for ISB. And I had started preparing since a month - The best I've gotten in mocks so far is 650. I don't know if that is enough.

Am I already too late?

How long does the process after the GMAT take?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rushabhjinwala,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so that's something to consider as you plan out your studies going forward.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
whyyash wrote:
Hi Dillesh,

I was also going through the same kind of dilemma. Am I too late for R2/R3

I am planning to apply for ISB. And I had started preparing since a month - The best I've gotten in mocks so far is 650. I don't know if that is enough.

Am I already too late?

How long does the process after the GMAT take?

Hi whyyash,

You're definitely not late for R3, and since you've already touched a 650 in mocks, you can try and touch 700 with almost 50 days in hand.

But a 700 or above is a secure position if you have a generic profile.

For preparation, try and solve all the official guide questions (at least for verbal) and rely only on the GMAT test prep mocks from mba.com

All the best.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rushabhjinwala,

To better answer your question, I need to know your baseline score as well as your score goal. Thus, in short order could you take an official practice exam and report back with your score breakdown? Once I have that information I can provide some detailed advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Never to late. Every hour, every day leads to an improvement over not starting at all. Go for it, and see what happens. If you work on your essays concurrently, you still have time to put together a strong R2 application.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Rushabhjinwala wrote:

Rushabhjinwala
It's never late or early. Think about your goals and evaluate your situation. If 2020 is really what matters then start ASAP(assuming you have not started anything yet) or if you are aware of GMAT exam(finer aspects) then you need a study plan.
You may would like to go through this post.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/study-plan-f ... 98342.html

I totally agree what Dillesh and experts mentioned above. Start with a GMAT Prep mock(free one) to get into the groove and know your level as far as GMAT preparation is concerned.

Hurrying would anyhow ruin things even if you have done 6 months of disciplined preparation.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rishabh, best strategy now would be to give an official mock test right away and see where you are. Who knows you are already there, in which case you can look at smoothing your the rough edges and appear in the exam soon.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Is it too late to start for GMAT prep now? [#permalink]
Start now. Learn OG2020 thoroughly and search Q and A for additional quant/verbal practices from this forum.

It is not that late if you aim R3 in 2020 intake. Even you can't make R3, you can go for R1 for 2021 intake. However, let's target R3 for 2020 intake first.

Best wishes

GMAT Club Bot
Is it too late to start for GMAT prep now? [#permalink]