Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Should I take CFA L1???????

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Tuck 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wisconsin, Carlson, McCombs, Ross, Stern
 Q37  V35 GMAT 2: 690  Q44  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: FINANce!!!!!..:))))))))
Schools:Wharton..:)
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5 +
Send PM
Re: Is it Worth to Study for CFA L1 Before B-School Starts? [#permalink]
CFA and CAIA are two very different exams...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I feel you should totally go for CFA L1 , even if you are not planning a IM/Trading profile post MBA , mainly because L1 gives you a solid fundamentals on Financial statement analysis, economics and a bit of stats . L2 is even more rigorous and you will get a taste of finance courses at bschool .

I am an L3 candidate and a FRM holder I wish to clear L3 before I head to b school
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, General
Schools:INSEAD, ISB
 Q51  V40
WE 1: credit analyst 4yrs
WE 2: equity analyst 1yr
WE 3: tax associate 7months
Send PM
i'm a CFA charterholder and would suggest take it this June and you would still be left with almost 2-3months to rejuvinate before the MBA starts ....... there's no downside and definitely it'll help you get noticed by employers, but plz note that it is most helpful only in research and investment management roles, and is no trump card for core IB roles ....... it'll give you basics of finance and will cover almost 40-50% of finance topics in compulsary finance in MBA, so an edge anyway ...... but take it seriously because if you fail, you might hate to taken this decision and not enjoyed the next few months of easy life before an MBA and may be a taxing rest of the career
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth, Stern
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Can anyone recommend prep books?
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
The best prep book you will find is Schewser note books. They are 5 books that cover all of the matiral. I passed level one studying only from these books plus the Schewser and CFA institute mock Exams.
Good luck for you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Have you considered the CMA?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Tuck 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Send PM
Guys, I appreciate your feedbacks very much. The thing is that I’m not 100% sure that I want IB. Currently, my break is 60% IB, 20% consulting and 20% remaining on the tech industry.

That’s why I’m struggling to take this decision. If IB were my certain destiny, I’d study for the exam.

Furthermore, I’m 33 and some people say that it’s going to be an uphill battle to get an IB gig at that age. Such kind of advice hasn’t encouraged me to start studying. Instead, it has kept me from purchasing the Schewser pack and devoting this 25 hours/week to the cause.

I’d appreciate if people with working experience within the finance world tell me how IB recruiters view a guy who entered bschool at 33. Only solid (positive) prospects regarding my chances of getting, at least, a summer internship in a decent bank can tilt me back towards the CFA path.

@secondtime: Man, I don’t know what CMA is. Please enlighten me :-D

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
It stands for Certified Management Accountant; seems it would be more of a fit though if you are leaning towards something finance related that is not IB. From what I can tell the knowledge would be very applicable to a lot of other roles though. The problem IMO would be a little in terms of recognition, I wonder if people would think you won a country music award :).

https://www.imanet.org/ima_home.aspx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I met a Wells Fargo IB recruiter who had a CFA (or at least completed level 1) and was working in TMT. I asked him about it and he said it definitely helped him better understand the financial statements within his own work.

I'm a college student, who's also considering the CFA, so I don't have first hand experience but I have spoken to a lot of IB recruiters. From what I gathered, the CFA shows that you're able to handle the quantitative aspects of IB work but it doesn't pull as much weight as a brand name undergrad/bschool would. In some cases, they might think you're not committed to IB since the CFA is more geared toward investment management.

And with consulting, the CFA is nice but also doesn't do too much with your chances of entry.

Now, please note that this was advice given to me. However, you're 33 so there is an age gap and experience gap. (which is already very rare for IB entrance) This could mean that the above advice is totally useless but I just wanted to share what I learned.

From your post, I can tell that you might be a little hesitant so I'm not sure if it is a good idea since the CFA does require devotion. (and I'm just going to assume it's been a while since you were in a study mode) But, if you have the time and the money then I would definitely go for it. Again, you have to compare the time studying the CFA (and this doesn't even mean that you're guaranteed to pass but let's just be optimistic) to what you otherwise would have done.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
It is best to sit in the summer of the first year. The overlap for study is pretty large, so you can do L1 and the L2 as you graduate. The difference between an MBA who has just completed the CFA versus one who is sitting Level 3 is really very little. The commitment point is made, and the actual need for a CFA is only at levels above where an MBA is recruited, if at all.

So I say do yourself a favor and work out how to do the career thing now. The CFA will get easier later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth, Stern
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Do you guys even recommend buying additional materials? or does signing up for the exam already provide you with study materials and practice tests?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I think the Schweser notes are pretty popular. A colleague did it with just the books that came with it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Schweser notes are very effective.. but as you move from L1 to L2 to L3, the effectiveness decreases
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:HBS,Yale, British Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School
Send PM
Is they any CFA forum for studying and discussing exam questins, guidelines like GMAT CLUB. I am planning to give L1 exam nxt year.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Ashikurrahman wrote:
Is they any CFA forum for studying and discussing exam questins, guidelines like GMAT CLUB. I am planning to give L1 exam nxt year.

Posted from my mobile device

AnalystForum
GMAT Club Bot