GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 09:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Is root{x} a prime number?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 1004
Re: Is root{x} a prime number?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 00:56
ArunpriyanJ wrote:
Bunuel, I have a question. Usually while solving modulus questions we take two cases 1) x>0 2) x<0. According to the first statement when x>0 we get x=9 which is valid, but when x<0 we get x=1 (which is not valid). Now, in some of the earlier questions when x<0 and if we got a positive value for it we neglected it and considered that x had only one valid value. In this question why hasn't something similar been done


Both x=1 and x=9 are valid for (1). Please elaborate what you mean?[/quote]

Bunel, I too have the same doubt in my mind. I will try to explain it.

By taking condition,
X>0, i got the value of X as 9

And by taking the condition X<0, I have got the solution as X=1, Which is not a valid solution with the given condition.

So i took X=9 only and got the answer as A.


Pls explain how X=1 with the condition X<0 is valid.


Thanks in advance[/quote]

we are taking condition x<=7/3 to be equation 3x-7 as <=0
So x=1 is acceptable
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 03 Jun 2015
Posts: 81
Re: Is root{x} a prime number?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 07:14
LM wrote:
Is \(\sqrt{x}\) a prime number?

(1) \(|3x-7|=2x+2\)

(2) \(x^2=9x\)


Fact (1) |3x-7|=2x+2
==> 3x-7=+(2x+2) or 3x-7=-(2x+2)
==> x=9 (\(\sqrt{9}=3\) YES) or x=1 (\(\sqrt{1}=1\) NO) Hence INSUFF.

Fact (2) x^2=9x
==> x^2-9x=0
==> x(x-9)=0
==> x=0 (\(\sqrt{0}=0\) NO) or x=9 (\(\sqrt{9}=3\) YES) Hence INSUFF.
(1)+(2) gives x=9 Hence SUFF
Ans: C
_________________

Sortem sternit fortem!

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Posts: 61
Location: India
Reviews Badge
Is root{x} a prime number?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 01:39
From 1 x=1 or 9. Hence sqrt(x) has 2 values. Not sufficient.
From 2 x=0 or 9. Hence sqrt(x) has 2 values. Not sufficient.
Both: x=9. Hence sqrt(x) is 3 which is prime. Sufficient.
Hence C. :)


Press Kudos if this helped!! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 368
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is root{x} a prime number?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 01:57
LM wrote:
Is \(\sqrt{x}\) a prime number?

(1) \(|3x-7|=2x+2\)

(2) \(x^2=9x\)


1) |3x - 7| = 2x + 2
=> x = 1, 9
Insufficient.

2) \(x^2\) = 9x
=> x = 0,9
Insufficient.

1+2)
x = 0,1,9
=> x = 0, 1 do not support both statements so we cannot use them.
Only value of x = 9 remains.
=> \(\sqrt{x}\) = 3
Sufficient.

C is the answer.
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2014
Posts: 160
Location: India
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Is root{x} a prime number?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 03:39
x=1 and x=9 both are valid

|3x-7|=|3*1-7|=|-4|=4(modulus of any value is +ve)

2x+2=2*1+2=4.

Hence valid



ArunpriyanJ wrote:
Bunuel, I have a question. Usually while solving modulus questions we take two cases 1) x>0 2) x<0. According to the first statement when x>0 we get x=9 which is valid, but when x<0 we get x=1 (which is not valid). Now, in some of the earlier questions when x<0 and if we got a positive value for it we neglected it and considered that x had only one valid value. In this question why hasn't something similar been done


Both x=1 and x=9 are valid for (1). Please elaborate what you mean?[/quote]

Bunel, I too have the same doubt in my mind. I will try to explain it.

By taking condition,
X>0, i got the value of X as 9

And by taking the condition X<0, I have got the solution as X=1, Which is not a valid solution with the given condition.

So i took X=9 only and got the answer as A.


Pls explain how X=1 with the condition X<0 is valid.


Thanks in advance[/quote]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 368
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is root{x} a prime number?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 05:10
gps5441 wrote:
x=1 and x=9 both are valid

|3x-7|=|3*1-7|=|-4|=4(modulus of any value is +ve)

2x+2=2*1+2=4.

Hence valid



ArunpriyanJ wrote:
Bunuel, I have a question. Usually while solving modulus questions we take two cases 1) x>0 2) x<0. According to the first statement when x>0 we get x=9 which is valid, but when x<0 we get x=1 (which is not valid). Now, in some of the earlier questions when x<0 and if we got a positive value for it we neglected it and considered that x had only one valid value. In this question why hasn't something similar been done

Both x=1 and x=9 are valid for (1). Please elaborate what you mean?

Bunel, I too have the same doubt in my mind. I will try to explain it.

By taking condition,
X>0, i got the value of X as 9

And by taking the condition X<0, I have got the solution as X=1, Which is not a valid solution with the given condition.

So i took X=9 only and got the answer as A.


Pls explain how X=1 with the condition X<0 is valid.


Thanks in advance


Statement 1
X = 1 or 9 (Both the values satisfy the equation)
If x = 1, then \(\sqrt{x}\) = 1 => Not a prime number.
If x = 9, then \(\sqrt{x}\) = 3 => Prime Number
2 different answers, so this is insufficient.

Statement 2
x = 0 or 9 (Both the values satisfy the equation)
If x = 0, then \(\sqrt{x}\) = 0 => Not a prime number.
If x = 9, then \(\sqrt{x}\) = 3 => Prime Number
2 different answers, so this is insufficient.

Statement 1 + Statement 2
x = 9 (The only common value)
=> \(\sqrt{x}\) = 3 => Prime Number
Unique Answer and hence, Sufficient.
C is the answer.

Hope this helps!
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9160
Premium Member
Re: Is root{x} a prime number?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 23:46
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is root{x} a prime number? &nbs [#permalink] 25 Aug 2018, 23:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is root{x} a prime number?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.