GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 10:49


GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance


we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.


Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

     January 21, 2019

     January 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

Is rst = 1 ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message

Hide Tags

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 6823
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Is rst = 1 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 22:56
loki wrote:
Is rst = 1 ?

(1) rs = 1
(2) st = 1

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.

Since we have 3 variables, E is most likely to be the answer.
Then we need to consider both conditions 1) & 2) together.

If \(r = s = t = 1\), \(rst = 1\) and it is true.
If \(r = s = t = -1\), \(rst = -1\) and it is false.

Since we have two different cases, the answer is E.

Normally, in problems which require 2 or more additional equations, such as those in which the original conditions include 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, each of conditions 1) and 2) provide an additional equation. In these problems, the two key possibilities are that C is the answer (with probability 70%), and E is the answer (with probability 25%). Thus, there is only a 5% chance that A, B or D is the answer. This occurs in common mistake types 3 and 4. Since C (both conditions together are sufficient) is the most likely answer, we save time by first checking whether conditions 1) and 2) are sufficient, when taken together. Obviously, there may be cases in which the answer is A, B, D or E, but if conditions 1) and 2) are NOT sufficient when taken together, the answer must be E.

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13361
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Is rst = 1 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 11:13
Hi All,

We're asked if (R)(S)(T) = 1. This is a YES/NO question. We know nothing about the three variables (meaning that they could be ANYTHING). We can answer this question by TESTing VALUES.

1) (R)(S) = 1

We know nothing about the value of T….
If T = 1, then (R)(S)(T) =1(1) = 1 and the answer is YES
If T = 0, then (R)(S)(T) =1(0) = 0 and the answer is NO

2) (S)(T) = 1

We know nothing about the value of R…
…so we'd have the same situation as in Fact 1 (YES and NO answers)

(R)(S) = 1 and (S)(T) = 1
If R=1, S=1 and T=1, then (R)(S)(T) = 1 and the answer to the question is YES
If R=1/2, S = 2 and T = 1/2, then (R)(S)(T) = 1/2 and the answer to the question is NO.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at:

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is rst = 1 ? &nbs [#permalink] 20 Mar 2018, 11:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is rst = 1 ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.