Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V37
GPA: 9.1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Is setting down in another country an achievement? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
iLemonade wrote:
HI guys, now this will probably sound lame but I'll still ask. I am originally from Eastern Europe (non-EU), after completing MSc in Economics and BA in Europe I have landed at a job first in Germany, then in Switzerland. I dont think i am doing something outstanding in my current job but getting one in the EU was a struggle due to visa regulations and overall competition. I can probably teach intercultural communication at this stage because of the amount of countries I lived in and the languages I speak. My friends from back home would consider that I have achieved something, I however think it is somewhat strange to use this example as my biggest achievement in life.
What do you think?

I think that having very strong cross-cultural skills is indeed an asset and that you may be able to position that as something you offer to bring the school. As mentioned in an earlier reply, a school like Tuck will love your strong international experience and all MBA programs are very global in nature so to lesser or greater degrees depending on the school, you can absolutely leverage it.
Think in terms of how you can help other students- make introductions? help provide tips for doing business in various countries? Help set up international travel trips and make connections? Think about how you can add value and that will help you stand out in the application process. And then depending on your goals post MBA, you may be able to weave and leverage this skill into your overall narrative. It would not be the only thing- but it could definitely help round you out in the overall application. To learn more about how to leverage your strengths, we'd be glad to talk to you further. Reach out at this link so we can learn more about you: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is def a nice dimension to your profile. B-schools are increasingly becoming more and more global so your ability to connect this to how it has been valuable in your career and will be moving forward
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
iLemonade wrote:
HI guys, now this will probably sound lame but I'll still ask. I am originally from Eastern Europe (non-EU), after completing MSc in Economics and BA in Europe I have landed at a job first in Germany, then in Switzerland. I dont think i am doing something outstanding in my current job but getting one in the EU was a struggle due to visa regulations and overall competition. I can probably teach intercultural communication at this stage because of the amount of countries I lived in and the languages I speak. My friends from back home would consider that I have achieved something, I however think it is somewhat strange to use this example as my biggest achievement in life.
What do you think?

As someone with some experience in this I can definitely say that it can be! It all depends on how you present it and what you take away from it. So if you tell this story in the right way (feel free to be in touch if you’d like some professional help with that of course!) it can definitely be used in your favor.

There are plenty of people who dream of doing exactly what you have done, after all, and that counts for something. Additionally, many business schools really do value international experience of all kinds and you’ve got heaps of that!
GMAT Club Bot