It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 10:59

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 609

Kudos [?]: 969 [1], given: 22

Location: PA
Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 08:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:06) correct 63% (01:18) wrong based on 126 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20
(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I got C

OA is A which i disagree can someone explain why its A

as for S1 we can have -2 0 2 4 sum is +ve and < 20 product is 0 which is not positive
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Kudos [?]: 969 [1], given: 22

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42608

Kudos [?]: 135640 [1], given: 12705

Re: Tough DS on number properties [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 11:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rxs0005 wrote:
Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20
The product of the middle two of these integers is positive


I got C

OA is A which i disagree can someone explain why its A

as for S1 we can have -2 0 2 4 sum is +ve and < 20 product is 0 which is not positive


In YES/No DS questions statement is sufficient if you can answer either definitive YES or definitive NO to the question

Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

First of all: the product of four consecutive even integers can be either 0 (when one of the eve integers is zero) or positive (when all integers are positive or negative).

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20:

If the greatest term is \(\geq{8}\), eg {2,4,6,8}, then the sum will be equal or more than 20.
If the smallest term \(<-2\), eg {-4,-2,0,2}, then the sum won't be positive.

Hence this statement gives only TWO possible sets {0,2,4,6} and {-2,0,2,4} --> \(sum<20\) and \(product =0\), so in either case the product is NOT positives. Sufficient.

(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive.

It's possible to have {0,2,4,6} --> product is zero OR {2,4,6,8} --> product is positive OR {-8,-6,-4,-2}--> product is positive. Not sufficient.


Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135640 [1], given: 12705

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 99

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 53

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: Tough DS on number properties [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 23:09
Bunuel wrote:
In YES/No DS questions statement is sufficient if you can answer either definitive YES or definitive NO to the question

Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

First of all: the product of four consecutive even integers can be either 0 (when one of the eve integers is zero) or positive (when all integers are positive or negative).

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20:

If the greatest term is \(\geq{8}\), eg {2,4,6,8}, then the sum will be equal or more than 20.
If the smallest term \(<-2\), eg {-4,-2,0,2}, then the sum won't be positive.

Hence this statement gives only TWO possible sets {0,2,4,6} and {-2,0,2,4} --> \(sum<20\) and \(product =0\), so in either case the product is NOT positives. Sufficient.

(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive.

It's possible to have {0,2,4,6} --> product is zero OR {2,4,6,8} --> product is positive OR {-8,-6,-4,-2}--> product is positive. Not sufficient.


Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.


Are negative numbers considered even or odd in GMAT?
I also chose A but because there is only one possibility here {0,2,4,6}.
_________________

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 53

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42608

Kudos [?]: 135640 [0], given: 12705

Re: Tough DS on number properties [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 23:52
TirthankarP wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In YES/No DS questions statement is sufficient if you can answer either definitive YES or definitive NO to the question

Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

First of all: the product of four consecutive even integers can be either 0 (when one of the eve integers is zero) or positive (when all integers are positive or negative).

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20:

If the greatest term is \(\geq{8}\), eg {2,4,6,8}, then the sum will be equal or more than 20.
If the smallest term \(<-2\), eg {-4,-2,0,2}, then the sum won't be positive.

Hence this statement gives only TWO possible sets {0,2,4,6} and {-2,0,2,4} --> \(sum<20\) and \(product =0\), so in either case the product is NOT positives. Sufficient.

(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive.

It's possible to have {0,2,4,6} --> product is zero OR {2,4,6,8} --> product is positive OR {-8,-6,-4,-2}--> product is positive. Not sufficient.


Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.


Are negative numbers considered even or odd in GMAT?
I also chose A but because there is only one possibility here {0,2,4,6}.


An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder.

An odd number is an integer that is not evenly divisible by 2.

Thus, according to the above both negative and positive integers can be even or odd. For example, -2 is even and -3 is odd.

P.S. Zero is an even integer. Zero is nether positive nor negative, but zero is an even number.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135640 [0], given: 12705

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Location: India
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.17
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2013, 00:12
rxs0005 wrote:
Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20
(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I got C

OA is A which i disagree can someone explain why its A

as for S1 we can have -2 0 2 4 sum is +ve and < 20 product is 0 which is not positive


Let the 4 munbers be 2n,2n+2,2n+4,2n+6

Case1 : 0<8n+12<20 => n=-1,0 and product is 0 in both cases which is not positive.

Case2 : (2n+2)(2n+4)>0 => n<-2 or n>-1. if n=0 product is 0, if n=100 product is positive, ie not conclusive.

therefore ans is A

Hope it helped...
_________________

Private Tutor for Maths - Feel free to mail me


-Online OR Gurgaon (India).

Good Luck

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2013, 00:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.