Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [17]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [6]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [3]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [2]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Is the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation [#permalink]
Kudos
Note: Range Rule of Determining SD states that the SD of a set is equal to 1/4 of its range.

(1) Set A consists of consecutive multiples of 10
No information about set B.
(Insufficient)

(2) Set B consists of consecutive multiples of 2
No information about set A.
(Insufficient)

Statement 1&2 together:

Case 1:
Let Set A = {10,20,30,40}
Set B = {10,20,30,40}
S.D. will be equal.

Case 2: SET A = {10,20,30,40}
Range = 40-10 = 30
SD = 30/4 = 7.5

Set B = {2,8,14,20,26,32,38}
Range = 38-2 = 36
SD = 36/4 = 9

SD of Set B is greater

Case 3: SET A = {10,20,30,40}
Range = 40-10 = 30
SD = 30/4 = 7.5

Set B = {2,8,14,20}
Range = 20-2 = 18
SD = 18/4 = 4.5

SD of Set A is greater

(Insufficient)

IMO E

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Is the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In theory, the standard deviation of either set could be zero if one of the sets contains only one element. If we allow that possibility, the answer is immediately E.

If we disallow that possibility, then if the set of consecutive multiples of 10 is {10, 20}, its standard deviation is 5 (every element in the set is 5 away from the mean, so that is automatically the standard deviation). If you take a very large set of consecutive multiples of 2, say all the multiples of 2 between 0 and 1000, almost every value in this set will be more than 5 away from the mean, and the standard deviation will be much larger than 5. So the answer is still E.

If we knew the sets were the same size, then both statements would be sufficient together, since then the elements of A would be a greater distance apart than the elements of B (in fact, the standard deviation of A would be precisely five times as big as that of B, because the distances within A would be five times as big).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Ans - E

Standard deviations is under root of variance, which is diff of term and the av, the more this deviation is the more is SD

Statement 1
Given info on set A, but no B. Not sufficient

Statement B
Gives info on set B, but no A, Not sufficient

With Statement 1 and 2
Even if Set A is consecutive multiple of 10, and set B is consecutive multiple of 2.

It is unsure what would the variance be depending of the starting number. Set B can still be a multiple of set A, which will prove otherwise.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Is the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation [#permalink]
Standard deviation depends on the variance and also number of terms in the set.Here in both the statements we don't have number of terms mentioned so we can't conclude from any of the statements.

Answer E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [1]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Is the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

Is the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation of set B ?

Someone just pointed out I missed the word consecutive twice!
I subsequently change my answer to Ian's above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-the-stand ... l#p2561705
:)

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 11 Sep 2022, 07:33.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 11 Sep 2022, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

Is the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation of set B ?

Target question: Is the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation of set B ?

When I scan the two statements, they both feel insufficient, AND I’m pretty sure I can identify some cases with conflicting answers to the target question. So, I’m going to head straight to……

Statements 1 and 2 combined
There are several scenarios that satisfy BOTH statements. Here are two:
Case a: Set A = {10, 20, 30, 40} and Set B = {2, 2, 2, 2}. In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, the standard deviation of set A is greater than standard deviation of set B
Case b: Set A = {11, 11, 11, 11} and Set B = {2, 20, 200, 2000}. In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, the standard deviation of set A is NOT greater than standard deviation of set B
Since we can’t answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow

Can you please share some clarifications on the highlighted examples. Shouldn't the numbers be consecutive multiples of 10 and 2 respectively.

Also - Can we just conclude that the information combined is not sufficient as the number of terms are not known in either of the sets ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
gmatophobia wrote:
Can you please share some clarifications on the highlighted examples. Shouldn't the numbers be consecutive multiples of 10 and 2 respectively.
Also - Can we just conclude that the information combined is not sufficient as the number of terms are not known in either of the sets ?

Thanks for the heads up!
I've changed my solution accordingly.

Kudos for you!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Quantity A = The standard deviation of the set {1, 3, 5}

Quantity B = The standard deviation of the set {8,10,12}

Quantity A is greater.Quantity B is greater.The two quantities are equalThe relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts