Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [72]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [10]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [3]
Send PM
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two deca [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the ans is A.What is the OA?

I think attempt to is the correct idiom.
In E that has begun is wrong.Whenever a definite time is specified (like 'two decades ago' in this case) you have to use simplepast tense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two deca [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Idiom: is it attempt to, attempt for, or attempt at?
Here it is "Attempt to", so eliminate B, C, and D.

In E, present perfect is the wrong verb tense to use, despite its apparent consistency with "has been unsuccessful".
Present perfect is typically used for actions that began in the past and continue into the present. It can also be used to specify a past event at an indefinite point in the past.
Here, the "two decades ago" makes present perfect an incorrect tense.
Consider "I have lived in New York five years ago." -- doesn't sound right and it isn't right.

So The correct answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Kudos
Correct usage of "attempt" is attempt + to + verb

A) Grammatically and idiomatically correct.
B) "for ratifying" is incorrect.
C) "for ratifying" is incorrect.
D) "at ratifying" is incorrect.
E) "has begun" is used incorrectly making two events disjoint. The structure "An attempt that has begun two decades ago, has been unsuccessful" is incorrect. Correct form will be "An attempt that begun two decades ago, has been unsuccessful".

Correct answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,
I have the same issue as many others with this problem. Usage of 'begun' isn't satisfying as it should be 'began'. 'Begun' is the past participle form of 'begin'. Here, begin word acts as a verb and not as a participle, therefore either it should be preceded by 'has/have' to make it a correct verb or it should be changed to the past form of 'begin' e.e. 'began'.
Please if any expert can comment on this.
Thanks in advance..!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.
(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, --- CORRECT
(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment ----- For ratifying is wrong idiom
(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago begun --- ----- For ratifying is wrong idiom
(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, ---- --- Attempt at is wrong idiom
(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment ----- -- 'Has' is wrong tense, it is not continuing till present
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi all,
I have the same issue as many others with this problem. Usage of 'begun' isn't satisfying as it should be 'began'. 'Begun' is the past participle form of 'begin'. Here, begin word acts as a verb and not as a participle, therefore either it should be preceded by 'has/have' to make it a correct verb or it should be changed to the past form of 'begin' e.e. 'began'.
Please if any expert can comment on this.
Thanks in advance..!!

Hi experts,

Can some one explain the question posted above. I have the same doubt. Usage of begun seems wrong and it should have been 'began'. Please let me know if there is some thing i should know.

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Dear Sukant2010 and deepak824,

If you change "begun" to "has began" or "began", the sentence ends up having two verbs (has began/began, has been unsuccessful) without a conjunction in between -- not allowed.

The participle form of the verb can act as an adjective modifier qualifying the "attempt". The resulting sentence (A) has one subject (attempt) and one verb (has been unsuccessful). So you do actually need the participle form here.

--Prasad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
scheol79 wrote:
I eventually picked A, but the modifier 'begun almost decades ago' made me pause and think for a bit.

It is obvious that 'begun almost decades ago' is meant to modify the attempt in the context.

But I think that the placement of 'begun almost decades ago', can suggest that the Equal Rights Amendment began almost decades ago, not the attempt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vahabMBA wrote:
scheol79 wrote:
I eventually picked A, but the modifier 'begun almost decades ago' made me pause and think for a bit.

It is obvious that 'begun almost decades ago' is meant to modify the attempt in the context.

But I think that the placement of 'begun almost decades ago', can suggest that the Equal Rights Amendment began almost decades ago, not the attempt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...

A modifier may in some exceptional cases refer to a noun slightly far away from it. One such case is when another "mission critical" modifier comes in between the modifier and the noun it refers to. A "mission critical" modifier is frequently a prepositional phrase that cannot be placed in another position in the sentence conveniently.

In this case as well, the mission critical modifier "to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment" comes in between the modifier "begun almost two decades ago" and the noun it refers to ("attempt"). Such usage is acceptable in GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Economist wrote:
An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,
(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago
(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,
(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment

SCtest3-15

Is "Attempt for something" always incorrect? Please clarify.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nihalsaket wrote:
Economist wrote:

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,
(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago
(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,
(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment

SCtest3-15

Is "Attempt for something" always incorrect? Please clarify.

Yes, The verb "attempt" always depicts intention and for intention we should use the infinitive form "to+verb", not the form "for+verb-ing".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
vahabMBA wrote:
scheol79 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...

A modifier may in some exceptional cases refer to a noun slightly far away from it. One such case is when another "mission critical" modifier comes in between the modifier and the noun it refers to. A "mission critical" modifier is frequently a prepositional phrase that cannot be placed in another position in the sentence conveniently.

In this case as well, the mission critical modifier "to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment" comes in between the modifier "begun almost two decades ago" and the noun it refers to ("attempt"). Such usage is acceptable in GMAT.

But what is wrong in E? It clearly explain the "attempt" and still idiomatic by using "to". I think I'm confused that when should we treat it as "mission critical modifier".
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnotherGmater wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
vahabMBA wrote:

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...

But what is wrong in E? It clearly explain the "attempt" and still idiomatic by using "to". I think I'm confused that when should we treat it as "mission critical modifier".

The Manhattan SC guide provides a list of the such exceptions to the modifier touch rule.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Send PM
An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink]
so when "begun" is used as a modifier, it's okay to not to have it in non-past perfect?

I would've thought it should be "began". Why can't you use "began" as a modifier?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink]