It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1620 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 15:21
shrewd1 wrote:
GMATNinja my issue with OA is that even though option E suggests that space telescopes have a drawback and cannot do a certain thing, it does not cast doubt on the argument that ground telescopes might become obsolete. maybe there would be a new kind of telescope/maybe even ground telescopes suck at that thing. We dont know!
is this not a very good quality QG question?

You are right that ground telescopes might still become obsolete, even if (E) is true. However, we do not need an answer that PROVES that ground telescopes will not become obsolete. Rather, we need an answer choice that casts the most doubt on the author's conclusion. Choice (E) directly weakens the author's argument and conclusion, so it is the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1620 [0], given: 403

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 81

CAT Tests
Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 01:52
sayantanc2k wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
Really not able to convince how option E is the correct answer.

we need to assume more to chose this.

Experts please help, why 'B' is wrong

The conclusion is about a causal relation:

Space telescopes are better in one feature, and HENCE they will make earth telescopes obsolete.

Stating a negative feature of the space telescopes attacks this causal relation (though it may not directly attack the possibility that earth telescope will be obsoleted). Because space telescopes has a negative feature they will NOT be able to make the earth satellites obsolete.

If one considers "ground-based telescopes will soon become obsolete" the conclusion then your point is definitely valid. But if one considers "Superior feature of space telescope will cause ground-based telescopes to be obsolete", then option E is correct. In GMAT this causal relation as a conclusion is often tested.

For the same reason stated above option B is wrong. It does not attack the causal relation, but only supports why earth based telescopes may not be obsoleted. (Moreover, the condition that was used to prove that Space telescopes will replace earth telescopes, still holds good - even after mounting the telescopes on higher grounds, the distortion will not be eliminated, and hence the space telescopes still remain better of the two - nonetheless, this does not play any role in attacking the causal relation.)

Hi,
Plz explain how can we assume that light gathering capacity is better on ground based telescopes. The passage mentions 2 telescopes but we cant rule out that another kind of telescope may exist which contains better light gathering capacity and so, ground based telescope does not have such a feature. Also, why is option D wrong?

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 01:55
GMATNinja wrote:
shrewd1 wrote:
GMATNinja my issue with OA is that even though option E suggests that space telescopes have a drawback and cannot do a certain thing, it does not cast doubt on the argument that ground telescopes might become obsolete. maybe there would be a new kind of telescope/maybe even ground telescopes suck at that thing. We dont know!
is this not a very good quality QG question?

You are right that ground telescopes might still become obsolete, even if (E) is true. However, we do not need an answer that PROVES that ground telescopes will not become obsolete. Rather, we need an answer choice that casts the most doubt on the author's conclusion. Choice (E) directly weakens the author's argument and conclusion, so it is the best answer.

I had the same doubt and so I eliminated option E, but I fail to understand why i8s option D incorrect? In d, we are providing an advantage feature of ground based telescope.

Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2017, 01:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap