Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:
It's actually just a file that I have, not sure if I'm supposed to be posting it on forums, I can PM it to you though.

me too :) I want.

me too!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Me toooooooo......
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I worked 40+ hours every week while I was in college, and spent 20-30 hours per week on things for my fraternity (I was a founder, director of recruitment, VP, Historian, recruitment chair for the inter-fraternity council), and I finished in 3 years. Of course, my GPA sucked, but honestly, if it was just work and school, and if you take 4 or 5 years, then it's definitely possible. I think UCLA is considered a competitive place that grades pretty hard. I know from friends that good grades can be substantially easier to achieve at some other schools.

What I know about USD law school is that it's a small catholic school that coddles it's students (I know 4 people that graduate from there). Most of the top law schools teach theory for all 3 years, while lower ranked schools tend to primarily focus on teaching their students how to pass the bar exam. I don't know about working 70+ hours per week, but I worked 30-40 hours per week throughout law school (including the dreaded first year) and did just fine.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu - Really? I just don't see how there's enough time in the week. So if you work 9-5 Monday-Friday, then you have fraternity stuff 10 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday, that's 40 work hours and 20 frat hours. So then that basically means you have your evenings to go to class and study?

Again, I know it's technically possible, just seems like someone who is 18 years old wouldn't be able to handle that type of schedule. But apparently people do. My hats off to you and them.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, during the first and last few months of college I waited tables. Typically, I'd work 4 evenings a week (best money was Friday & Saturday of course) and Sunday during the day, where you could make great money being nice to old ladies drinking their asses off during brunch. For the 2 years in the middle, I wrote programs for data mining and database analysis for a Health Insurance consultant. I generally worked afternoons and weekends, but after a few months, I was allowed to work from home or late into the night in the office.

Fraternity business typically took all afternoon and evening on Mondays, with intramural sports 2-3 times during the week (I was an "A" league doubles tennis champ - tough at UCLA, as well as QB for our football team & hit 3rd for our softball team and played basketball & softball as well). We usually had a few philanthropic events each quarter that we sometimes did jointly with sororities. As a chapter leader, I also attended several national leadership conferences (drinking with other chapters), as well mid-year and regional conferences. Since we were on the quarter system, I had to plan rush 3 times per year, and lead recruiting efforts. 20-30 hours a week was the minimum, but included social events.

I'd go to class during the day like everyone else, but generally I'd try to schedule the bulk of my classes on either MW or TTh, say four 1 1/2 hour classes straight through between 9 -3 if I could work it out. That left me time to still get to work on the days I had class, and free time on the days I didn't. I never really studied much, maybe 2-3 hours per week total.

It was pretty hectic, but thinking back it was still really enjoyable. I don't recall being depressed about my situation or anything. Of course, I ended up with crappy grades, but to tell you the truth, I probably could have done better. Getting good grades just wasn't a priority at the time.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
me me me. I like to look at resumes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is This Possible? [#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I was just reading through the Wharton resume book and there are some really impressive resumes. But I'm surprised how many say things like, "Worked 40 hour weeks while in school to finance education, graduated with 3.9"

Is this bullsh*t or what? Is this possible? I know it's probably technically possible, but there seem to be a lot of people who claim this -- not just in the resume book I mentioned, but in other places I've heard things like this too.

For instance check out this excerpt from Wikipedia's entry on Red Sox GM Theo Epstein:

"While working 70-hour weeks for the Padres, he studied full-time at the University of San Diego School of Law, where he earned a Juris Doctor degree and passed the California bar exam in 1999."

A full time law student working 70-hour weeks on top of school? Uh, yeah sure...and I work 500 hour weeks and still find time to perform several brain surgeries.

Johnny, I want that, too! please

Hey, if you have a photographic memory, that is very possible.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Johnnyx9, you are right. Please do not post resume books on the forum.

All of you appear to have honest intentions, but there is a LOT of personal information on there and we dont want to be the ones responsible for any problems.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Well, during the first and last few months of college I waited tables. Typically, I'd work 4 evenings a week (best money was Friday & Saturday of course) and Sunday during the day, where you could make great money being nice to old ladies drinking their asses off during brunch. For the 2 years in the middle, I wrote programs for data mining and database analysis for a Health Insurance consultant. I generally worked afternoons and weekends, but after a few months, I was allowed to work from home or late into the night in the office.

Fraternity business typically took all afternoon and evening on Mondays, with intramural sports 2-3 times during the week (I was an "A" league doubles tennis champ - tough at UCLA, as well as QB for our football team & hit 3rd for our softball team and played basketball & softball as well). We usually had a few philanthropic events each quarter that we sometimes did jointly with sororities. As a chapter leader, I also attended several national leadership conferences (drinking with other chapters), as well mid-year and regional conferences. Since we were on the quarter system, I had to plan rush 3 times per year, and lead recruiting efforts. 20-30 hours a week was the minimum, but included social events.

I'd go to class during the day like everyone else, but generally I'd try to schedule the bulk of my classes on either MW or TTh, say four 1 1/2 hour classes straight through between 9 -3 if I could work it out. That left me time to still get to work on the days I had class, and free time on the days I didn't. I never really studied much, maybe 2-3 hours per week total.

It was pretty hectic, but thinking back it was still really enjoyable. I don't recall being depressed about my situation or anything. Of course, I ended up with crappy grades, but to tell you the truth, I probably could have done better. Getting good grades just wasn't a priority at the time.

That is very impressive.
Now if you had done this w/ Engineering major, it would be more impressive.
Whether some people would agree or not, just doing homeworks at a Top20 engineering school would require at least 15-20 hours a week.
Of course, if you have IQ200+, that could be a different story.

Nevertheless, you are impressive!
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
That is very impressive.
Now if you had done this w/ Engineering major, it would be more impressive.
Whether some people would agree or not, just doing homeworks at a Top20 engineering school would require at least 15-20 hours a week.
Of course, if you have IQ200+, that could be a different story.

Nevertheless, you are impressive!

Oh, without a doubt. At UCLA, pre-med was definitely the toughest and most competitive. I bet you'd have to study 2-3 hours a day to be confident about grades in Organic Chemistry or Microbiology and stuff like that. Engineering and other hard sciences were tough as well, because of the material but also because of the competitive nature of the students involved.

English, on the other hand, was filled with people that had a casual attitude towards grades in general. There was some discussion in another thread about how much work you have to put in to get certain grades. Putting in the level of work I did, I knew I'd probably get some B's and some A's. To really be sure of getting mostly A's, you'd probably need to work twice as hard. But, since English courses often relied on papers rather than exams a certain level of creativity and writing skill could make up for a lot of hours spent in preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
after looking at the resume book, now I am clear why Wharton was not so tempted with my background. hahaha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
after looking at the resume book, now I am clear why Wharton was not so tempted with my background. hahaha

After reading the first few, I'm convinced I'm utterly f*****. ....
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah exactly. After reading a few resumes I thought, "How did I ever think I stood a chance at an ultra-elite?"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wait till you guys see your own resumes in a few months after getting it churned from the career services at your schools.. trust me it will look a lot different..

my resume before i began applying for mba and after i began itself looked a lot different.. and i am confident i will take it to another level after i join the school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can I get the resume book too? Thanks.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd be interested in seeing it too, if someone wants to shoot it over to me. Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
id like to take a look too. thanks
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3