Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [19]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618611 [19]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [8]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Is x > 0? (1) |x + 3| = 4x – 3 (2) |x + 1| = 2x – 1 [#permalink]
Whenever i see this type of question i start to solve for X. Now in this case, from st-1 i got X = 2 or 0 From st-2 also the same answer and i ticked E. Can someone explain how i should start to think for this type of questions?? however i forgot to put back tha values and check.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
amitjash wrote:
Whenever i see this type of question i start to solve for X. Now in this case, from st-1 i got X = 2 or 0 From st-2 also the same answer and i ticked E. Can someone explain how i should start to think for this type of questions?? however i forgot to put back tha values and check.

I did same and got tricked. Can someone explain why we are getting x=0 and it doesn't fit the equation. Are we doing anything wrong on absolute problems?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
saxenashobhit wrote:
amitjash wrote:

I did same and got tricked. Can someone explain why we are getting x=0 and it doesn't fit the equation. Are we doing anything wrong on absolute problems?

When you are dealing with absolute values, and you solve it in 2 cases assuming first that expression >= 0 and then that expression < 0, you must verify the solution you get to make sure you don't violate the extra assumption you made in the beginning

Eg.When you assume x+3>0, it means you assume x>-3. You get an answer 2, which is valid as no assumptions are violated
When you assume x+3<0, it means you assume x<-3. You get an answer 0, which is invalid given your assumption

You do not need to necessarily "plug the solution back in", it is sufficient to check against the assumption you made while deciding the sign of the absolute value
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618611 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saxenashobhit wrote:
amitjash wrote:

Solving for \(x\) is not the best way to deal with this problem.

But if you do this way you should know that checking validity of the solutions is very important for absolute value questions.

When you solve these kind of questions with check point method (discussed at: some-inequalities-questions-93760.html?hilit=substitute%20method), you test validity of solution on the stage of obtaining these values (by checking whether the value is in the range you are testing at the moment) and if the value obtained IS in the range you are testing at the moment, you don't need to substitute it afterwards to check, you've already done the checking and if the value obtained IS NOT in the range you are testing at the moment you also don't need to substitute it afterwards to check, you've already done the checking.

When you just expand the absolute value once with negative sign and once with positive sign then you should check whether obtained solution(s) satisfy equation be substituting solution(s) back to the equation.

Check 3-steps approach in Wlaker's post on Absolute Value for more on this: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Shortcut LHS, RHS for this one anyone?

Cheers!
J :)

Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\) --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(4x-3\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{3}{4}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\). The smae here: LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(2x-1\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{1}{2}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D. (You can see that you don't even need to find exact value(s) of x to answer the question.)

Similar question to practice: is-x-0-1-x-3-4x-3-2-x-3-2x-127978.html

Is it because you have 2x - 1 and therefore 2x>=1, x>=1/2?

What if you had 2x + 1? Will it still work? Don't thimk so right? We would need to analyze both scenarios

Please advice
Cheers!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618611 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Shortcut LHS, RHS for this one anyone?

Cheers!

Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\) --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(4x-3\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{3}{4}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\). The smae here: LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(2x-1\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{1}{2}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D. (You can see that you don't even need to find exact value(s) of x to answer the question.)

Similar question to practice: is-x-0-1-x-3-4x-3-2-x-3-2x-127978.html

Is it because you have 2x - 1 and therefore 2x>=1, x>=1/2?

What if you had 2x + 1? Will it still work? Don't thimk so right? We would need to analyze both scenarios

Please advice
Cheers!

We could still solve \(|x + 1| = 2x + 1\) with this approach to get x. LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative, so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(2x+1\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}}\). For, \(x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}}\), \(x+1>0\), hence \(|x + 1| = x + 1\) --> \(x + 1 = 2x + 1\) --> \(x=0\).

But if it were \(|x - 1| = 2x + 1\), then getting \(x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}}\) from LHS, wouldn't be useful to determine whether \(|x - 1| = x - 1\) or \(|x - 1| = -(x - 1)\) because \(x-1\) could be positive as well as negative for different x'es which are more than or equal to -1/2. Therefore we should use usual method of solving for \(|x - 1| = 2x + 1\), not RHS/LHS.

So, this method is not universal and can be applied only when non-modulus part defines x in such way that helps to get the sign of absolute value expression on the other side.

Does this make sense?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [2]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM