Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 25 May 2017, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x positive?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 9

Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 19:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:04) correct 42% (00:54) wrong based on 284 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is x positive?

(1) 1/(x+1) < 1
(2) (x-1) is a perfect square.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 38890
Followers: 7735

Kudos [?]: 106152 [5] , given: 11607

Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2012, 01:02
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jayoptimist wrote:
Is x positive?

(1) 1/(x+1) < 1
(2) (x-1) is a perfect square.

What is wrong with the following line of thought for condition 1

1/(x+1) < 1

1 < (x+1)

1 -1 < x+1-1

0 < x Hence x>0.


We can not multiple \(\frac{1}{x+1}< 1\) by \(x+1\) since we don't know whether this expression (\(x+1\)) is positive or negative, for the first case we should keep the same sign but for the second case we should flip the sign (when multiplying by negative number we should flip the sign of the inequity).

Is x positive?

(1) 1/(x+1) < 1. If \(x=10\) then the answer is YES, but if \(x=-10\) then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

Or if you want to solve this inequality then: \(\frac{1}{x+1}< 1\) --> \(1-\frac{1}{x+1}>0\) --> \(\frac{x}{x+1}>0\) --> \(x>0\) or \(x<-1\), hence \(x\) could be positive as well as negative. Not sufficient.

(2) (x-1) is a perfect square. Given: \(x-1=\{perfect \ square\}\) --> \(x=\{perfect \ square\}+1\). Now, since perfect square is more than or equal to zero, then \(x=\{perfect \ square\}+1=non-negative+1=positive\). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 209
Location: New Delhi, India
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 12

Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 20:46
jayoptimist wrote:
Is X positive?

1) 1/(x+1) < 1
2) (x-1) is a perfect square.

What is wrong with the following line of thought for condition 1

1/(x+1) < 1

1 < (x+1)

1 -1 < x+1-1

0 < x Hence x>0.

Hi

For statement 1:
x can be +ve or -ve for positive ( 1,2 ) canbe true for negative values (-3) satisfies the condition, hence 1 is insufficient

for statement 2:
(x-1) is a perfect square hence positive
=> x-1>0 or x>1, hence positive

Thus correct answer is B
_________________

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: GMAT Streetfighter!!
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2013, 02:34
Bunuel wrote:
jayoptimist wrote:
Is x positive?

(1) 1/(x+1) < 1
(2) (x-1) is a perfect square.

What is wrong with the following line of thought for condition 1

1/(x+1) < 1

1 < (x+1)

1 -1 < x+1-1

0 < x Hence x>0.


We can not multiple \(\frac{1}{x+1}< 1\) by \(x+1\) since we don't know whether this expression (\(x+1\)) is positive or negative, for the first case we should keep the same sign but for the second case we should flip the sign (when multiplying by negative number we should flip the sign of the inequity).

Is x positive?

(1) 1/(x+1) < 1. If \(x=10\) then the answer is YES, but if \(x=-10\) then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

Or if you want to solve this inequality then: \(\frac{1}{x+1}< 1\) --> \(1-\frac{1}{x+1}>0\) --> \(\frac{x}{x+1}>0\) --> \(x>0\) or \(x<-1\), hence \(x\) could be positive as well as negative. Not sufficient.

(2) (x-1) is a perfect square. Given: \(x-1=\{perfect \ square\}\) --> \(x=\{perfect \ square\}+1\). Now, since perfect square is more than or equal to zero, then \(x=\{perfect \ square\}+1=non-negative+1=positive\). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,

How did you arrive at x<-1 in the explanation below?

"\frac{x}{x+1}>0 --> x>0 or x<-1, hence x could be positive as well as negative. Not sufficient."
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 38890
Followers: 7735

Kudos [?]: 106152 [0], given: 11607

Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2013, 04:16
jgomey wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jayoptimist wrote:
Is x positive?

(1) 1/(x+1) < 1
(2) (x-1) is a perfect square.

What is wrong with the following line of thought for condition 1

1/(x+1) < 1

1 < (x+1)

1 -1 < x+1-1

0 < x Hence x>0.


We can not multiple \(\frac{1}{x+1}< 1\) by \(x+1\) since we don't know whether this expression (\(x+1\)) is positive or negative, for the first case we should keep the same sign but for the second case we should flip the sign (when multiplying by negative number we should flip the sign of the inequity).

Is x positive?

(1) 1/(x+1) < 1. If \(x=10\) then the answer is YES, but if \(x=-10\) then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

Or if you want to solve this inequality then: \(\frac{1}{x+1}< 1\) --> \(1-\frac{1}{x+1}>0\) --> \(\frac{x}{x+1}>0\) --> \(x>0\) or \(x<-1\), hence \(x\) could be positive as well as negative. Not sufficient.

(2) (x-1) is a perfect square. Given: \(x-1=\{perfect \ square\}\) --> \(x=\{perfect \ square\}+1\). Now, since perfect square is more than or equal to zero, then \(x=\{perfect \ square\}+1=non-negative+1=positive\). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,

How did you arrive at x<-1 in the explanation below?

"\frac{x}{x+1}>0 --> x>0 or x<-1, hence x could be positive as well as negative. Not sufficient."


We have \(\frac{x}{x+1}>0\).

The roots are -1, and 0 (equate the expressions to zero to get the roots and list them in ascending order), this gives us 3 ranges: \(x<-1\), \(-1<x<0\), and \(x>0\).

Now, test some extreme value: for example if \(x\) is very large number then all two terms (x and x+1) will be positive which gives the positive result for the whole expression, so when \(x>0\) the expression is positive. Now the trick: as in the 3rd range expression is positive then in 2rd it'll be negative and finally in 1st it'll be positive again: + - +. So, the ranges when the expression is positive are: \(x<-1\) (1st range) and \(x>0\) (3rd range).

For more check:
x2-4x-94661.html#p731476
inequalities-trick-91482.html
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html?hilit=extreme#p868863
xy-plane-71492.html?hilit=solving%20quadratic#p841486

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: GMAT Streetfighter!!
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2013, 18:33
The light bulb clicked!!!!

Got it so the condition is met for all numbers less than -1 or greater than 0, but any number between 0 and -1 (Fraction) will result in a negative number.

But even without thinking about the possibility of a fraction, Statement 1 is insufficient because x>0 or x<-1 right?

I know this is a silly, but I didn't realize I could find the roots by doing this:

x/x+1>0

so

x=0

and

x+1=0...x=-1


Is my thinking correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 15451
Followers: 649

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2014, 00:04
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 15451
Followers: 649

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 07:40
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 15451
Followers: 649

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 07:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 112
Location: India
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 208

Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 06:14
1/X+1<1
1/x+1-1<0

On simplification we get x/x+1>0
this mean both numerator and denominator has same sign this can be both positive or negative
ns

statement 2 is clearly sufficient
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is x positive? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 19:59
1) 1/(X+1) <1; For this to happen, mod of |X+1| should be greater than 1
|X+1|>1--> X<0 or X>-2
Not Sufficient

2) (X-1) is a perfect square. A perfect Sq is always positive. So X-1>0 --> X>1
Sufficient
Re: Is x positive?   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2017, 19:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x positive? chetan2u 1 07 Jan 2017, 05:22
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x is positive, is x prime? brockr1 15 07 Apr 2016, 12:22
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x positive? Gnpth 2 19 Aug 2015, 06:14
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x is a positive integer, is x an integer? ezinis 4 27 Sep 2015, 08:36
20 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x is a positive integer, is x prime? tarek99 9 17 Mar 2016, 06:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is x positive?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.