Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [12]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [2]
Given Kudos: 341
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V28
Send PM
Re: Is x+y>0? [#permalink]
Kudos
rajarshee wrote:
Is x+y>0 where x and y are non zero integers?

(1) |x|>y
(2) |y|>x

Answer: (C)

Question gives us some idea that the answer may be different for positive and negative integers. So let us think only along these lines.

Statement 1: INSUFFICIENT
Suppose x and y both are positive. Is it possible that |x| be greater than y? Yes, say x = 3 and y = 2. Is x+y>0? YES
If x and y both are negative, is it possible that |x| be greater than y? Yes again, say x = -3 and y = -2. Is x+y>0? NO

Statement 2: INSUFFICIENT
Same reasoning as before except that x and y are interchanged now.

Statements can also be analyzed as:
Statement 1 -> If magnitude of x is greater than y, then we have 2 possibilities:
y = positive: then distance of x from 0 is greater than the value of y.
y = negative: then x can be any integer.
Statement 2 -> If magnitude of y is greater than x, then the 2 possibilities are:
x = positive: then distance of y from 0 is greater than the value of x.
x = negative: then y can be any integer.

Hence after combining ->
x = negative and y = negative: consistent with both statements. Is x+y>0? NO
x = positive and y = negative: Since x is positive, so distance of y from 0 must be greater than the value of x (as per statement 2). Hence, y can be negative but will have a larger magnitude compared to x. Hence x + y is negative. Is x+y>0? NO
x = negative and y = positive: Since y is positive, so distance of x from 0 must be greater than the value of y (as per statement 1). Hence, x can be negative but will have a larger magnitude compared to y. Hence x + y is negative. Is x+y>0? NO
x = positive and y = positive: inconsistent with the 2 statements because in this case, either |x| > y or |y| > x. Both can't hold true together.

Hence, there is unique answer for the question asked after combining the 2 statements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Correct Answer is C.

Try to manipulate by taking value x=1 and y=1 which holds insufficient condition in both cases.

Regards:-
Sumit kumar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can you please check if the following method is fine?

To prove x + y >0 i.e ans should be a yes or a no

Statement a: |x|>y i.e LHS will always be +ve i.e y<0 or y = 0. Insufficient can't say anything about x
Statement b: |y|>x i.e LHS will always be +ve i.e x<0 or x = 0. Insufficient can't say anything about y

Statements combined. if y<0 i.e x also has to be less than 0 i.e x+y <0...similarly if y=0 i.e x also has to be 0 i.e x+y=0 in both the cases x+y is not greater 0. Hence C is the right answer

VeritasKarishma wrote:
rajarshee wrote:
Is x+y>0 where x and y are non zero integers?

(1) |x|>y
(2) |y|>x

Question: Is x + y > 0
When will the sum of x and y be positive?
When either both x and y are positive or only one of them is positive with higher absolute value than the other one (which could be 0 or negative).
In other cases, x+y will be negative or 0.

(1) |x|>y
This could hold when both x and y are positive (x = 4, y = 2) or when both x and y are negative (x = -4, y = -2) or other cases.
Hence this statement alone is not sufficient.

(2) |y|>x
This statement is symmetrical to statement 2 with just the variables reversed. IF statement 1 is not sufficient, statement 2 will also not be sufficient.

Using both,
|x| > y
|y| > x

Can both x and y be positive? No, because then only one's absolute value will be greater than the other.
Is it possible that one of them is positive with higher absolute value than the other one? No. Say the numbers are x = 5 and y = -3.
Here |y| cannot be greater than x.
Both the conditions are not met. So, we can say for sure that x+y is not greater than 0

Answer (C)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts