Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [17]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [7]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [2]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Is |xy| > xy? (1) (x^2y^2)^(1/2) = xy (2) |x| + |y| = x + y [#permalink]
niks18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\)

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\)

If both \(x\) and \(y\) are positive or negative then \(|xy|=xy\) and if either of the two is negative and other is positive then \(|xy|>xy\)

Statement 1: LHS \(= \sqrt{(xy)^2}\) \(= |xy|\)
so we have \(|xy|=xy\). Hence we have a NO for our question stem. Sufficient

Statement 2: this implies magnitude of both \(x\) & \(y\) equals summation of both \(x\) & \(y\). Hence both \(x\) & \(y\) are positive. Hence \(|xy|=xy\)
Hence we have a NO for our question stem. Sufficient

Option \(D\)

if either of the two is negative and other is positive then \(|xy|>xy\) - Can you explain this further?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Kudos
Manveetha wrote:
niks18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\)

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\)

If both \(x\) and \(y\) are positive or negative then \(|xy|=xy\) and if either of the two is negative and other is positive then \(|xy|>xy\)

Statement 1: LHS \(= \sqrt{(xy)^2}\) \(= |xy|\)
so we have \(|xy|=xy\). Hence we have a NO for our question stem. Sufficient

Statement 2: this implies magnitude of both \(x\) & \(y\) equals summation of both \(x\) & \(y\). Hence both \(x\) & \(y\) are positive. Hence \(|xy|=xy\)
Hence we have a NO for our question stem. Sufficient

Option \(D\)

if either of the two is negative and other is positive then \(|xy|>xy\) - Can you explain this further?

Hi Manveetha

Take few examples, lets assume \(x=-2\) and \(y =2\), then \(xy=-2*2=-4\)

but \(|xy|=|-4|=|4|\)

hence \(|xy|>xy\) in this case
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\)

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\)

Bunuel, I think if we consider that x and y both are non zero then D would be the answer. But question stem does not mention that way. Can you please explain if my assessment is wrong?
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\)

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\)

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

The first step of VA (Variable Approach) method is modifying the original condition and the question, and rechecking the number of variables and the number of equations.

The question \(|xy| > xy\) is equivalent to \(xy < 0\).

Condition 1)
\(|xy| = xy\) is equivalent ot \(xy \ge 0\).
Since the answer is no, this condition is sufficient by CMT(Common Mistake Type) 1.

Condition 2)
\(|x| + |y| = x + y\)
=> \((|x| + |y|)^2 = (x + y)^2\)
<=> \(|x|^2 + 2|x||y| + |y|^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2\)
<=> \(x^2 + 2|x||y| + y^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2\)
<=> \(2|x||y| = 2xy\)
<=> \(|xy| = xy\)
<=> \(xy \ge 0\)
Then the answer is no and "no" is also an answer.
By CMT 1, this condition is also sufficient.

Therefore, D is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
RMD007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\)

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\)

Bunuel, I think if we consider that x and y both are non zero then D would be the answer. But question stem does not mention that way. Can you please explain if my assessment is wrong?

Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

Notice that the question basically asks whether xy is negative. Only when xy is negative \(|xy| > xy\).

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\). This implies that |xy| = xy. So, we have a NO answer to the question. Notice that |xy| = xy means that xy is positive or 0, so not negative. Sufficient.

Or: (1) says that xy equals to the square root of some number (x^2y^2). Since the square root function cannot give negative result, then it xy must be non-negative.

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\). This also implies that both x and y must be non-negative. So, again the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel.

I understood Statement-2 but confused with statement-1, my logic is as below

From question we can figure out that if xy>0, then lXYl= XY ; so XY>XY so we have to neglect this option
if xy<0, then l XY l = -(xy), So question becomes Is -(xy)>xy, this is what we have to look out from the question set.

So, -(xy)>xy is possible when we have different signs of x and Y (one + and another -); then we can definitely say "Yes" to the question Is -(xy)>xy
If X and Y have same signs then -(xy)<xy ; then a definite "NO" (to our question which is -(xy)>xy)
now in statement-1

X and Y both can be positive/negative; or X negative and Y positive (or vice versa) as the square will negate the effect of positivity/negativity of X/Y
So we can't be sure from statement 1 whether X/Y have same or different signs. Hence insufficient

I hope you understood my thinking and plz help to correct where me going wrong with my understanding
Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
cruiseav wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

Notice that the question basically asks whether xy is negative. Only when xy is negative \(|xy| > xy\).

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\). This implies that |xy| = xy. So, we have a NO answer to the question. Notice that |xy| = xy means that xy is positive or 0, so not negative. Sufficient.

Or: (1) says that xy equals to the square root of some number (x^2y^2). Since the square root function cannot give negative result, then it xy must be non-negative.

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\). This also implies that both x and y must be non-negative. So, again the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel.

From question we can figure out that if xy>0, then lXYl= XY ; so XY>XY so we have to neglect this option
if xy<0, then l XY l = -(xy), So question becomes Is -(xy)>xy, this is what we have to look out from the question set.

So, -(xy)>xy is possible when we have different signs of x and Y (one + and another -); then we can definitely say "Yes" to the question Is -(xy)>xy
If X and Y have same signs then -(xy)<xy ; then a definite "NO" (to our question which is -(xy)>xy)
now in statement-1

X and Y both can be positive/negative; or X negative and Y positive (or vice versa) as the square will negate the effect of positivity/negativity of X/Y
So we can't be sure from statement 1 whether X/Y have same or different signs. Hence insufficient

I hope you understood my thinking and plz help to correct where me going wrong with my understanding
Thanks

For \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\) to be true x and y cannot have different signs because if they do, then the right hand side would become negative: \(xy=negative\) and it cannot equal to the square root of any number (\(\sqrt{x^2y^2}\)), which is always positive or 0.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\)

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\)

What if "x" and "y" are zero?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

(1) \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\)

(2) \(|x|+|y|=x+y\)

What if "x" and "y" are zero?

x = y = 0 (which certainly is one of the possible cases for x and y) gives the same NO answer as all other possible cases for each of the statements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V28
Send PM
CAN/CANT WE CONSIDER BOTH X AND Y EQUAL ZERO??
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
venkateshradiant wrote:
CAN/CANT WE CONSIDER BOTH X AND Y EQUAL ZERO??

I tried addressing this here. If you meant something else, please elaborate your query.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
Send PM
Is |xy| > xy? (1) (x^2y^2)^(1/2) = xy (2) |x| + |y| = x + y [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
cruiseav wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is \(|xy| > xy\)?

Hi Bunuel.

now in statement-1

Thanks

For \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=xy\) to be true x and y cannot have different signs because if they do, then the right hand side would become negative: \(xy=negative\) and it cannot equal to the square root of any number (\(\sqrt{x^2y^2}\)), which is always positive or 0.

Bunuel - I understood the problem statement and what they are looking for. Stuck at option 1. Since \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}\) = xy, and not |xy| or -(xy), it proves that xy is non negative. However, I do not understand why you mentioned the sqr root of a number cannot be negative. \(\sqrt{-9}\) is not possible for a fact, but \(\sqrt{9}\) can be -3.

Appreciate any clarification.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
Bunuel - I understood the problem statement and what they are looking for. Stuck at option 1. Since \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}\) = xy, and not |xy| or -(xy), it proves that xy is non negative. However, I do not understand why you mentioned the sqr root of a number cannot be negative. \(\sqrt{-9}\) is not possible for a fact, but \(\sqrt{9}\) can be -3.

Mathematically, \(\sqrt{...}\) is the square root sign, a function (called the principal square root function), which cannot give negative result. So, this sign (\(\sqrt{...}\)) always means non-negative square root.

The graph of the function f(x) = √x

Notice that it's defined for non-negative numbers and is producing non-negative results.

TO SUMMARIZE:
When the GMAT (and generally in math) provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Engineer1 wrote:

Mathematically, \(\sqrt{...}\) is the square root sign, a function (called the principal square root function), which cannot give negative result. So, this sign (\(\sqrt{...}\)) always means non-negative square root.

The graph of the function f(x) = √x

Notice that it's defined for non-negative numbers and is producing non-negative results.

TO SUMMARIZE:
When the GMAT (and generally in math) provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand this now.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts