GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video
GMAT Club

It is currently 01 Jun 2020, 18:35

FINAL DECISION
SORT BY
Most helpful
SORT BY Interview date
Recent interviewed
SORT BY Post date
Recent posted
Debrief posted on  Jan 19 2020 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Jan 19 2020 Final Decision: Admitted

"Today I had my interview for R2. The interview consisted of three panelists: one adcom (possibly), two alums ( one from automotive background) The interview lasted nearly 40-45 mins. Hereforth I will annote them as: adcom , alum #1, alum #2 alum #1: Let's hear about your work -ex Me: started with my work-ex, went on to convey my roles and field (iot and 5g) and my interest in tech from last 6 years by participating at India level competition etc. Adcom : Interrupted. Are you nervous? Me: Yes sir. A bit Adcom: have some water and also the choclates if you want. We are humans don't worry. I had water and then continued to showcase my interest in tech, research and about my self-published novel. Adcom: So, my friend here (alum #1) wants to know about why there are no flying cars, he is from automotive background THis was a case study kind of question I believe and thus I went to explain them about the market perspective. Me: (thinking) Sir, I recently saw a video about the market penetration. It was by Simon Sinek. It explains that a market penetration of about 18-20% is needed to launch a product. The market penetration for innovative automotive sector is limited. Even the electric cars are not there, because of problems of ion batteries. I think this particular innovation will need some time. Alum #1: So, it's lithium-ion battery. Me: yes, sir! I am sorry, thanks for correcting me. Adcom #1: So, you wrote in your essay about Quantum computing. What's that? I started with all jargon as to why its my fav. He again asked me. WHAT is QUANTUM computing. Me: Sir, it's a machine that performs better than a computer. We can do parallel processing and much more with it. Adcom #1: This everybody knows. Its lay man. Tell us more. We want more. Me: Sir I would need a pen and paper. They allowed and I went on to explain with few diagrams. Adcom #2: Okay, that's great! Thanks for explaining. If you are so inclined with technology and research then why MBA? Why not continue if you are so great at it. Me: Ma'am in future I would need the skills to be in roles of leadership and I think that skills that MBA will equip me with would help me prosper better in such roles. Its a future of generalists. ( I went on to convince them at every stage of the interview that this MBA would help me) Alum #2: Then why now? I mean you can do MBA at that time. Adcom #1: Rishav you are nervous! Don't be. Relax! Me: I am trying least to be nervous sir! (Smile) Alum #2: Relax! I sat at that position three times, so I understand what exactly you are going through. Me: Thanks Ma'am. And then I went on to explain why MBA now etc. Adcom #1: Rishav who wrote your essays. Me: (Perplexed). Sir I wrote. Adcom #1: Be honest with me. Me: (Smiling) Sir, I took help from my friends staying at ISB. Last year I had made friends and I approached them where they told me to express my professional roles in greater depth, which I did not do last time. Adcom #1: Okay! That’s fine. Alum #1: So what changed from last time. ( Professionaly and personally) Me: I have got more chances and got into such roles.. Blah bla Alum#2: Please explain the personal growth Me: I went on to explain my personal growth. Alum#2: So, you wrote that you will bring your collaborative nature to ISB? How? Tell an instance. Me: I explained them a recent collaborative instance. And then there were questions on my strengths and weakness, where Adcom was asking my strengths and weaknesses in a rapid fire round fashion. I was giving one word answer and suddenly when I was short of one words, I said sorry. Then they burst into laughter and said you can explain in further detail. At this point I thought to use my nervousness as one of my strengths. I told them one of my weaknesses as you have seen is my nervousness. I really want to improve on that. Alum #1: Have you worked on your nervousness? Me: yes sir. I took the roles of mentorship because I wanted to improve. I asked my lead to give me this role so that I could improve. And yes I have. Last time I was not even able to give answers and share my collaborative stories at the interview. Alum#2: Rishav you mention mentorship? Doesn’t qualcomm have training programs already? Me: yes ma’am its there but given the role I was in, it was a new role in Qualcomm India. It started in 2017, so things are not structured as well in other structured roles and its end-to end understanding of the chipsets. So I started the training programs. Alum#1: Tell me about the publishing exp. Adcom #1:Also, Tell us what you could have changed throughout this process. Alum #2: yes.tell that too. Me: I explained but somehow missed to explain what would have happened better. And then there were few back and forth questions on why MBA why MBA now? Which roles why this why that? Does Indian companies have that roles? Etc. And then finally they asked me any questions and added a word of caution that please dont ask the questions you would ask your friend. I asked them the question and then there was a phase of laughter. Then again adcom asked me: Adcom#1: Okay, so now you know a lot about ISB. What if I said that you have to pay a lot and its not worth it? Then would you change your decision. Me: Sir! Its one data point. Adcom#1: Well! That’s correct. I understood from that one statement about your thought process. Me: (Smile) Hehe. Thanks sir! I have this ideology that one should take all perspective. If one is studying about Karl Marx, then one should also study Swami Vivekananda to gain perceptions in life. All: Good! Good! Then a bit of hand shakes and curtain falls! I don’t know about the result but the experience was thrilling. I wish I have such discussions everyday. Given my background, I know it would be tough with this interview but it’s fine, even one alum had made it to ISB in three attempts and this really bolstered my belief. I wish all the best to other future aspirants and people who have interviews scheduled now."

rish2708 from India GMAT 690; WE: 41 months; Computer Software
0 out of 0 people found this Debrief helpful.

Was this Debrief helpful for you?

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Jan 19 2020 Final Decision: Admitted

"I have realised interviewer wants to know three things 1) Who you are? 2) Where you want to be? 3) How ISB is going to help? In my interview, For 1) , I was asked about my past experiences, reasons for the decisions I have taken, and questions to check my core competency. for 2), I had to explain my long term goals, and then how I want to achieve them through my short term goal achievement. Other question is what if not ISB? for 3) , I was to help the panel understand, how I can achieve the goals through ISB. For e.x., how I am planning to get the desired job, or what all events I will be taking at ISB, etc. Additionally, they talk about your hobbies, and other interests as well."

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 730; WE: 24 months; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 16 2020 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Jan 04 2020 Final Decision: Admitted

"Below were the questions Tell us about yourself, I had a couple of initial job switches so they quizzed me on that aspect quite a bit Why MBA, I have close to 7 years of work experience so they also asked why not 2 years ago. Why should ISB select me Asked me about my post MBA plans Asked me about my extra Curriculars and personal interests mentioned in the app Asked me about a work conflict situation I have worked in 3 different roles at my org so they asked me what my major learning’s were from each role"

Amallals GMAT 680;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 22 2020 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Jan 04 2020 Final Decision: Admitted

"I was interviewed on 4th Jan 2020 at ITC Windsor, Bangalore. The panel consisted of 3 Alumni. The interview went in the following way. 1. Have you visited any of the campuses? 2. Why do you think the Power Industry will undergo a disruption in the coming decade? (Essay) 3. What difference did you feel between the working styles in India and Kenya? Do you like working more in a Team Lead position or as a Team player? 4. A lot of questions on one of my interests - F1 Racing. 5. Finally, Why ISB and why MBA? 6. What are your future goals? 7. How would you make use of your experience in your target industry? 8. What are the challenges currently faced by the Power Producing companies? 9. What kind of changes are required to be brought to revive the sector? 10. Why is there a negative growth in the power industry? In this scenario, will the international players invest? 11. Any questions for us? Overall, the interview was not stressful at all, and the panel listened to what I had to say patiently. The session lasted for around 35 minutes."

an93ag from India GMAT 710; WE: 40 months; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 15 2020 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Dec 28 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"The interview consisted of three panelists: all alums 1) Describe the work you do at Oracle? 2) you have mentioned about taking an initiative at work place. what was that? 3) with just 1 yr of work experience, how did you convince your directors (regarding the initiative I took) 4) why did u come up with the initiative and what are the changes that you have observed after it has been implemented? 5) Is there a way to measure the change? 6) You have written basketball is your hobby, Can you name the greatest basketball player of all time? 7) why product management? 8) what are you expecting from ISB? 9) Do you know about agile and waterfall product development methods? 10) guesstimate the number of electric cuts that happen in India on a regular day? (As I was from electrical dept) 11) any questions? Duration: 25-30 min. Place: HYD campus. Decision: deferred admission."

aryastarkk from India GMAT 710; WE: 21 months; Computer Software

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 06 2020 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Dec 28 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"My Interview Experience Profile: Overall 5.5 years of experience. I took up various roles during my career. Started off as a software developer, then later took up sales, and the most recent experience comes from a startup where I juggled various roles such as operations, product management, account management, and sales. Panel size: 3 Members (ISB Alumni) Interview Duration: 1 hr 15 mins I was nervous going into the interview but knew I had to break the ice with the interviewers for 2 reasons. One to relieve my nerves and two to come off as a confident candidate. I proactively initiated the conversation after they apologized for the delay to start the interview. After the initial small talk, the interviewer started off by asking me to run through my resume. They tried to probe through my experience and also cross questioned me on the experiences I had shared in the essays. I believe they wanted to find out how proactive I was in my work. Also, there was a lot of questioning that went into my work related gaps and for which I had given them honest answers. Expereince related questions: 1) What was your strategy for account management? 2) How big a team did you manage? 3) Since you mentioned product management, how was your approach to coming up with new features? 4) Did you come up with features that generated revenue? 5) Why did you leave your third job in such a short duration? 6) Why did you have gaps? 7) Why did you leave your job again? It seems very easy for you to leave jobs? 8) You did not mention much description in the application about your job roles? Why? 9) How are you with multi tasking? I was also questioned regarding my short terms goal(product management) and long term goal(Entrepreneurship). Goals related questions: 1) Why product management? 2) Why not get online courses/certifications rather than ISB? 3) What in your terms is the role of a product manager? 4) Why ISB? 5) How do you think ISB is going to help you with your long term goals? 6) Why you think you are currently in-adept to pursue your goals? 7) How is your short term goal and ISB help you with your long term goal? There were other questions but its hard to recollect. After these, they posed some scenario based questions. Scenario based questions: 1) If you are tied up between 2 features for a product. Which one would you choose and why? 2) Suppose that you are to get an important feature implemented and you have to get it done with a specific person but this person has mentioned that he could not get this request accomodated because of the work load and other commitments of his team. How would you resolve this situation and get your work done? 3) How would you collect feedback/requirements from children to come up with a MVP? 4) Assume that we are a potential client, give us an elevator pitch of your services? In the above questions, they tried to block my answers by saying that what if that was not an option type counters. I had to come up another new solution to the situation. For example: In the question 2, when I said that I would reach out to the upper management to give me an alternative team, they  would tell that you could not approach the upper management then what? Next when I said that what if tried to reach out to other teams who could have available schedule to fit my requested, they told that that too was not an option and I had to some how convince the current person. Finally I arrived at a solution where I told that I would talk to the person to explain him how would it benefit us both if we could accomodate this request in the current hectic schedule and that it would help us showcase our performance. Like creating a win win scenario. They were satisfied. The above was the case of other scenario questions. Finally, the interrogative mode was turned down abd everybody got into a jovial mode. There was another round of small talk before they decided to end the inteeview. I shook their hands and professed that I hoped I left an impression with you guys and left. Pointers: 1) Create an exhaustive list of questions by putting yourself in the shoes of the interviewer while preparing for the interview. Ask yourself, what might they ask, what might they want to dig deep in, what is unconvincing in my profile, etc 2) Role play with a friend or someone close to become comfortable. 3) Get some exercise and meditation because it will help you manage the jitters. Remember, the calmer you are the better your performance 4) Be positive. You might start to question yourself during the preparation but do not let the negativity control you and push through. Be hopeful that everything will work out and its not the end of the world if you do not perform good. I know its easier said than done but in any case try having this mentality. 5) Lastly, I believe anybody(With the right effort) can achieve anything. So, go get what you want in life. PS: There are some questions that I missed out. I could not recollect as it was a lengthy interview. Please PM or email me at winisamus7@gmail.com if you require any other information that can help you guys. I will be more than happy to help."

Winisamus7 from India GMAT 680; WE: 72 months; Computer Software

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 12 2020 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Dec 22 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"The interview was in Delhi. Taken by 2 alumni. Highly specific and interactive. Following are some of the questions that were asked, though not exactly in chronological order *Tell us something about yourself? *There was a lot of talk regarding my college, school in Delhi, career choices after college, etc. *Lack of stability in career-changing jobs, etc. (I have substantial gaps) Why did you leave your earlier job? Career Plan A, Plan B, etc * After you quit your job, how did you manage finances. * How did you handle a difficult situation in your career? *Leadership ability? How did you start your entrepreneurship gig. Detailed questioning about the idea, marketing, prospects, business model, future plans, etc. *Why not a career in the field you are in right now? Why one in the one you've chosen? Why are you planning a career shift? *Do you know what kind of recruiters come to ISB? Do you think you'll be able to carve out your career path as you've planned? * Which other college have you applied to? Have you got through? I told them I had. Then why ISB? * Do you want to ask us any questions. I told them I had many friends who'd passed out from ISB, so I did not have any."

adi666 from India GMAT 710; Other

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 25 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 20 2019 Final Decision: Admitted from WL

"I was interviewed at Delhi on 20th Oct. 2019. There were 2 alumni taking the interview. 1. They started with usual 'Tell me about yourself in 4-5 mins' routine. Which I did. 2. Then they asked about one of the achievements that I had mentioned in my CV. 3. Then why MBA, why ISB? 4. Why not executive MBA? (I have 10+ yrs of work-ex, so I expected this question) 5. Then really extensive on global current affairs (What is Iran crisis, who is Greta Thunberg, what's her protest all about etc.) 6. Lot of back and forth on the same, (I was a bit tentative in my answers on these current affairs questions, so may be to put me in the spot) 7. Then a question about hobbies, I mentioned reading, then they asked which was the last book I had read and what was it about, then they suggested other books which offered contrary opinions to the book I had mentioned. 7. Then a couple of hypothetical situation based questions related to my career goals and further cross questioning on the same. Basically ethical dilemma questions. 8. Finally, If you have any question for us. It was interactive only, but they drilled really deep into the answers that I had. Result: Wait listed."

umeshsukhwani from India GMAT 710; WE: 168 months; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Dec 02 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 20 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"My interview was in Hyderabad campus 10 am slot (first slot of the day). 2 members in panel - relatively very young - might be alums. A bit about me - B. Tech - Mechanical, working in L&T Construction in design department for 5 years (will be 69 months by Mar'20) 1) Tell me about your yourself 2) You have mentioned lot of extra curricular achievements in college, tell us your significant achievements in college....bit of cross questioning and inquired further details (general) about my final year project (I informed about final yr project in significant achievements). 3) Then lot of discussion around my profile - typical day in office, achievements, how my projects run, project value, tenure, etc. 4) Why MBA? Career goals? 5) Discussed a lot about Industry 4.0 (I mentioned it in my career plans) with cross questioning. 6) Will u join back in L&T (take sabbatical)? How will u fit back there? 7) If not sabbatical, what is your target industry and target companies? (specifically asked to name few) 8) Tell us something about you which is not available in your application 9) Apart from work, Did you do any courses for your personal development? Overall, the interview was very casual and more like a chilled out discussion for about 30 min. They let me finish whatever I wanted to say. Started a bit nervously but became very relaxed as they were giving positive acknowledgement and were very friendly. Had very good feeling immediately after interview."

pradeep15793 from India GMAT 710; WE: 69 months; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Dec 29 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 19 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"The panel consisted of 2 alums, both from the same industry as I aspired to be in (as mentioned in essays). It started off with my impression of the campus (my interview was at Mohali campus), then one of them asked why would I want to be in a school having a relatively larger batch size, and some cross-questioning ensued on this, creating a mildly stressful atmosphere. After this, they asked me about my hobbies (scale modeling) and my undergrad startup experience, and the entire conversation thereafter revolved around these two aspects. They went deep into details on these topics, which was quite unexpected: · what made you take up your hobby · what’s the workflow for a project · how did you build your online audience · could you make something now? · business model of startup · how much revenue was generated · how was the income spent · you have traveled a lot, any learnings? · differences between India and countries you have visited No questions such as why MBA or ISB. In the end, when prompted, I asked them a question to which both of them answered in length. Coming out of the room, I felt that I answered too many questions for a 20-minute long session."

vivek360 from India GMAT 740; WE: 50 months; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 12 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"I was interviewed in Bangalore, my interview was relatively short ~23min. My panel was running late by an hour and seemed to be in a hurry. The interview started off with the questions directly. -I was asked about my work-ex as an ops manager -They asked questions about a project that I was most proud of. They did interrupt to ask follow up questions/ask if there were alternate approaches to the issue. Did not let me finish the complete explanation, i was told to give a brief overview. -They they asked why MBA- answered. This was the first time they looked convinced. Then they asked if I had questions for them. My experience was okay, the panel maintained an expressionless face throughout so it was difficult for me to gauge how the interview was going. My advice- be calm and composed and focus on answering the questions with a cool head. Good luck!"

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 720; WE: 52 months; Retail

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Apr 06 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
On Campus Interviewed on: Apr 04 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Gaurav: Most of the questions are related to my current and previous work experience. They then asked about my extracurricular activities and one question on my Family background. Two panels- One from PGPPro, and other one looks to be from PGPMAX. I felt it was completed in Relatively short time."

Ram1991 from India

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Apr 04 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
On Campus Interviewed on: Mar 26 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"The panel comprised of 2 alumni members - A PGPMAX alum and a PGPPro alum (was on skype). The interview lasted about 40 mins. Most of the questions asked were situational and related to my work experience and leadership experience. A few questions were asked on my plans post ISB, family and my hobbies. They also gave an opportunity, in case I have any questions for them. It was very conversational."

This user wants to stay Private from India Investment Banking

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 09 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Mar 09 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Questions below- 1. Tell us about your job? 2. Job profile? 3. Why do you want to pursue MBA? 4. Why ISB? The interview was relatively short lasting for just 20 minutes. The panel comprised of 3 members - one from the founding batch of PGPPRO and 2 were ex-PGPMAX. Thanks!"

thejoker003 from India WE: 111 months; Computer Software

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 10 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
Skype Interviewed on: Mar 09 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I had requested for a Skype interview as I was traveling. The interview started around 45 mins late and there was a panel of 3 people. Most of the questions were around my entrepreneurial journey and projects undertaken. There were few questions about why I would be looking at the program and if I would have time to devote. They asked me if I had any questions and I spoke to them about the entrepreneurial focus of the program. I guess it went on well but they were completely poker faced so don't know what to expect :P #fingerscrossed Hope this helped. Cheers :)"

parthoxo from India WE: 9 months; Advertising and PR

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 12 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Mar 09 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I was second in interview in Meeting Room 1. It was delayed by 45 mins. The panel consisted of three. The panel comprised of 3 members - one from the founding batch of PGPPRO and 2 were ex-PGPMAX like for joker. The interview was primarily based on present job description, challenges faced, leadership examples from life/job, reason for doing the course and management of time for the course. The interview was very interactive and informal."

TaureanBull from India WE: 150 months; Military & Defense

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 15 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 17 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"My interview was something in between of a conversation and a stress one. The first I was asked is "So what do you do", post that following was the course of interview: 1. Hows your new job different from the old one 2. Took a project from there, asked how would I have approached it differently if I were a consultant (the career I aspire after ISB) 3. The gave me a case (YES, this was completely unexpected) most of my interview was the case discussion, where I was cross questioned at every single sentence I said, by all three panelists, at a time. At this point I was pretty stressed and mush have definitely appeared so. after 40 minutes of case discussion, they asked me to go. Then stopped the second moment and asked what would you do if you don't get into consulting. No cross questioning at this. They asked why MBA, and god know why but I laughed :D then answered Managing stress during the interview is not entirely in your hand. make sure your content is solid. Dont just say/agree to any random thing just cause you want to get it over with. -Regards"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 05 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Feb 03 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Interview debrief Had my interview at 10:45 via Skype. I am a Delhi applicant and I couldn't travel to Hyderabad due to work commitments. Interview started an hour late. Q. Why couldn't you travel to Hyderabad? People usually don't miss such opportunities. My ans in brief: had super important work related meeting last night. Taking a morning flight from Delhi would've been a gamble due to fog, so requested for a Skype interview instead. (I think they understood) Q. What work do you do? Ans in brief: I work at a Healthcare startup where I am managing the company's first equity raise. I am the only one doing this, and the process is usually handled by seasoned bankers. Took them through the entire process of how I identified potential investors, how I got the docs in place, initiated conversations, and got multiple term sheets. Q. What challenges did you face in the entire process Ans in brief: I told them getting the story right is extremely critical and I initially struggled with the same. We started to see great interests from investors as soon as we got the story right. I also told him I faced a challenge while discussing the company's valuation as I have no background in it. I told them I relied on my previous employers' feedback, and a lot of research to get the valuation bit right. Q. Why would previous employers help? Isn't there a brief of confidentiality? Ans in brief: I share extremely good relations with all my previous employers. Gave them instances of how they've proactively helped me whenever I've reached out. Also told them that I had the company's promoter informed whenever I shared any info with anybody outside the company. Q. Asked a couple more questions regarding my work. Work related conversation went on for 40 mins. Q. Why Mba? Technical courses should help to advance in fund raise profiles. Ans in brief: I told them that I intend to have a far broader role than simply being stuck to a finance role. I see myself in a financial consultancy profile, and studying management in detail will be a big value add to my future roles. Q. There was a followup question to this which I don't quite remember. I answered that with decent level of conviction. Q. What is impact investment for you? How did your previous organizations categories investments as impact investments. Ans: gave a generic answer to what impact is. Q. Tell us about your work for stray animals Ans in brief: told them how I have established an unofficial network of volunteers across 6 cities (that I've lived in in the last 10 years). Told them how it all started Nad how we ended up with 70 people working for stray dogs. Q. What inspired me to take it up? Ans in brief: watching my mom get up at 4am very morning to feed the 20 odd dogs around my house. Q. What will the Healthcare company do about the fund raise if I have to leave the organization in a month's time to start my program. Ans in brief: then investment process is in its final stages and the money should hit out account in 30 days. The interview went on for 1 hour. Brief profile: 710 in gmat. 4 years experience in impact investment and 1 year at the Healthcare company raising funds for it."

abhishekr10 from India GMAT 710; WE: 47 months; Venture Capital

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 01 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Jan 19 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"Hello. A brief introduction first. I am a design graduate from NIFT with extensive work ex in apparel retail at India's leading organizations namely Raymond and Fabindia. I'd quit my full- time role as a designer to expand my scope mainly into the field of marketing a few months before this interview. At that time I'd taken up a freelance project as a marketing manager for a private label based out of Delhi. Now that you know my profile briefly, let me take you through that one hour of the interview, which changed my life forever! My interview was scheduled at at 10.40 AM, I arrived the location (Sheraton, New Delhi) by 10 AM and headed straight to register myself. This is when, probably the best part of the entire interview process happened to me- when the Adcom rep asked me- "Are you here to take an interview or are you giving one?" I was like- "Umm.. Can I? Nevermind. I am Shruti and I am here for my interview at 10.40 AM." I was guided to a waiting room filled with other candidates waiting for their 10.40 AM slot who were completing their verification formalities. This is the time you should use to pace yourself and tell yourself that you'll be the best of you today. This can be done in multiple ways- either you can talk to your fellow mates or you can shut your yes and draw deep breaths or you can call someone for a pep talk! Whatever works for you. I indulged in some small talk with the candidates sitting next to me before I was called in at 11 AM by a member of my own interview panel (that's how it is). Here’s how the questions were like .. Q: Hi Shruti. I am XYZ. How are you feeling? Q: So, (glancing though my application) Tell us something about you on this application? Q: Howcome the transition from engineering prep to NIFT? Q: Oh but you are a 9 pointer and a gold medalist, then what more did Raymond want? Q. What are you doing currently? 5 minutes gone by. Q. Give us a strategy right now for this brand you are working with right now? You have a paper and pencil and there is a glass of water if you want to drink water. You have a minute. Q. It is not a sustainable business model. How will these guys remember you 10 years from now? Q. Ok. Forget this. Now you are a marketing head at ABC, What will be your strategy? Take a minute. Think. Q. Not sure. This is not enough. Anyway, how will you implement this? 55 minutes gone by. Q. Alright. Tell us something about your family? Q. Huge sum. How will you repay the loan? Q. Any questions for us? Q. Shruti. I still don’t know why MBA? Anyway. Bye. I was sure that I needed to start working harder on my plan B since plan A would yield a negative result. However, upon receiving an admit, when I look back I realize that there were two key behavioral tactics that might have worked in my favor. First, never contradict yourself even if they try to push you over the edge. Hold your ground strong and back it up with a rational reasoning. Second, take your time to answer when stumped with an unexpected question. Being a designer, lacking understanding of marketing or strategy my only support was common sense and my experience. I made the best of that one minute by recollecting similar instances from my past."

ShrutiJain from India GMAT 650; WE: 81 months; Retail

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Apr 14 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Jan 15 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Hello. A brief introduction first. I am a design graduate from NIFT with extensive work ex in apparel retail at India's leading organizations namely Raymond and Fabindia. I'd quit my full- time role as a designer to expand my scope mainly into the field of marketing a few months before this interview. At that time I'd taken up a freelance project as a marketing manager for a private label based out of Delhi. Now that you know my profile briefly, let me take you through that one hour of the interview, which changed my life forever! My interview was scheduled at at 10.40 AM, I arrived the location (Sheraton, New Delhi) by 10 AM and headed straight to register myself. This is when, probably the best part of the entire interview process happened to me- when the Adcom rep asked me- "Are you here to take an interview or are you giving one?" I was like- "Umm.. Can I? Nevermind. I am Shruti and I am here for my interview at 10.40 AM." I was guided to a waiting room filled with other candidates waiting for their 10.40 AM slot who were completing their verification formalities. This is the time you should use to pace yourself and tell yourself that you'll be the best of you today. This can be done in multiple ways- either you can talk to your fellow mates or you can shut your yes and draw deep breaths or you can call someone for a pep talk! Whatever works for you. I indulged in some small talk with the candidates sitting next to me before I was called in at 11 AM by a member of my own interview panel (that's how it is). Here’s how the questions were like .. Q: Hi Shruti. I am XYZ. How are you feeling? Q: So, (glancing though my application) Tell us something about you on this application? Q: Howcome the transition from engineering prep to NIFT? Q: Oh but you are a 9 pointer and a gold medalist, then what more did Raymond want? Q. What are you doing currently? 5 minutes gone by. Q. Give us a strategy right now for this brand you are working with right now? You have a paper and pencil and there is a glass of water if you want to drink water. You have a minute. Q. It is not a sustainable business model. How will these guys remember you 10 years from now? Q. Ok. Forget this. Now you are a marketing head at ABC, What will be your strategy? Take a minute. Think. Q. Not sure. This is not enough. Anyway, how will you implement this? 55 minutes gone by. Q. Alright. Tell us something about your family? Q. Huge sum. How will you repay the loan? Q. Any questions for us? Q. Shruti. I still don’t know why MBA? Anyway. Bye. I was sure that I needed to start working harder on my plan B since plan A would yield a negative result. However, upon receiving an admit, when I look back I realize that there were two key behavioral tactics that might have worked in my favor. First, never contradict yourself even if they try to push you over the edge. Hold your ground strong and back it up with a rational reasoning. Second, take your time to answer when stumped with an unexpected question. Being a designer, lacking understanding of marketing or strategy my only support was common sense and my experience. I made the best of that one minute by recollecting similar instances from my past."

ShrutiJain from India

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 12 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 30 2018 Final Decision: Matriculating

"My brief profile: B.Tech NIT Trichy, M.S in Aerospace Engineering (University of Florida), Work ex of 6.9 years in Bell Helicopter Textron as a Product Development Engineer. 6 Research Papers, 2 scholarships and 5 awards. Lots of extra curricula Location was ITC Windsor in Bangalore. My panel had three alums. Interview was all on my work. It started like, "lets start with your work". I described the nature of my role, project that I was in (a new helicopter development program) and key contributions. There were a lot of cross questions and the panelists were really encouraging me to add a surprising level of detail in all my answers, like even which methods, software or tools I am using, engineering details, nature of interactions with shop floor people, technicians, end users, cross -functional groups, customers, etc. They also asked me on my papers and innovations and emphasized on providing as much scientific detail as I could. I explained everything but never used any technical jargon. I elaborated my answers well, yet kept them simple and never used any technical jargon. I broke down all engineering or scientific terms in 'what it means to you' language. They also asked me why I decided to return to India and why I took this job - and from thereon transitioned towards my post MBA goals. Here again they wanted specific answers. They read my essays and picked up my aspirations in consulting to understand and know why I want it to get into that and how I think I can realistically get there. They cross-questioned on my flexibility to do something else and my alternatives, if I dont get into that. I mentioned about my other choice area of product management. They asked for company names and what i meant by product management. I took example of indian automotive companies and homegrown products at that. They went back to why not aerospace and I explained the limitations of the indian aerospace industry and why I was keen to stay away from industries that are heavy on outsourcing. As a 'hardware' person, they asked for my opinion on the future of indian physical products or consumer durables and where we can make world class products. I said motorcycles, cars, trucks and consumer electronics and after a couple of cross-questions on the same, the interview basically concluded there. They asked if I had any questions and I asked a couple. The interview was very cordial and conversational and lasted a little above 45 minutes. They seemed happy with my answers and at the end they asked that 'on a lighter side, how much does a helicopter cost'. I came out of the interview with a smile and got the offer a month and a half later. I guess the key take away is that they want to make sure you know what you do now, what you want to do post mba and why. All the best to folks going for the R2 interviews! Hope this helps!"

smukherjee87 from India GMAT 680; WE: 79 months; Aerospace and Defense

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 29 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Oct 26 2018 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"Profile: B.E. from BIT Mesra, 4 years in optical product development, extra-curriculars on public policy I interviewed in the Bangalore location. Panel comprised of an alumnus, an adcom and a prof. The alumnus was pretty much leading the interview. The ISB format is pretty stress-based. As I got up to go, the interviewer asked me to take something if I need. I denied, and he reinforced. I took my file which I didn't need to. Probably mistake no. 1. Questions were focused on the essay and the recommender review. 1. Tell me about your current role. 2. More details about it. (Keep it very high level. So much investment makes you tend to give more in-depth view. One might think (s)he is going in the right direction it but maintaining high-level and understandable stance against using technical language was a tricky balance for me.) 3. Tell me about this innovation+leadership experience of yours. 4. Walk me through what you did. 5. Some cross questions -> did this happen first or that happened first. 6. Your recommender has given great reviews. Show us how you showed innovation. I mentioned another example which wasn't as big. 7. More cross questions -> what did you do exactly other than processes. Concretely, what was the idea. Again, high-level/low-level needs to be maintained. 8. If you got to take this decision today, what would you do? Would you innovate similarly or differently. That was it. I hope it helps to understand what to intentionally avoid."

Reveur from India GMAT 720; WE: 48 months; Telecommunications

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 24 2018 [#permalink] ISB
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 21 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"The campus is an hour away from where I stay and I wanted to reach the location by 15:30 hrs. I started early to have lunch on my way and about 14:40 I get a call from the ISB team saying that the panel is running early and I was 10 mins away from the location and I rushed to the location. After my registration, I called the number from which I had a gotten a call and informed them about my arrival and 5 mins later I was called upstairs and I felt nostalgic and was thinking about the last time. Around 15:00 hrs I see a girl walking out of a room and a minute later I was called and I I have a legal name that is different from how I am called in real life and I told them to call me X in short and I went into the room and pleasantries were exchanged. Two panel members (P2). Let's call them A and B. B informed about my name and how I like to be referred to as X B: How are you feeling? Me: Hungry and nervous A and B: why so? (surprised look) Me: I started early to have lunch but I got a call saying that the panel was running early and I came B: but are you comfortable? Me- yes this is more important than a meal, please go ahead B: ok so you did engineering and did all these i.e walk me through your resume Me: gave them answer . made a mistake and the panel caught it and were like what.. I took my time to explain.. I was holding onto my passport and the panel told me you don't have to hold it and I replied I was nervous - Ok what work did you do at these companies - you have venture (family business) why don't you join there - Current role and what does your company do - oh so do you have a product that you sell? - is it like skype - oh if not like skype so it is like product M All in like 5-7 mins - okay what is your most ruthless business principle - repeated the question with an example - ok forget that so how are you trying to compete with Y - but still product M is from a million dollar company how are you going to do? It will buy your company etc . I don't care about 1,2,3 features of your product, I have a company of my own. - ok you are targeting country K - Do you know when the million dollar company started? any guess? - yes, so about 15+ years of brand and what are you going to do - okay now product M is launched there what will you do ( country K) - okay now you know product M is getting launched what will you do - okay let us say that product M is offering the same features then what you do - okay after 4 months the product is launched and now what do you do? - but again it is a million dollar company they can buy you out. what do you do. you are offering for 100 rupees but the other company is offering at 90 rupees - okay now you are hired by the million dollar company for double the salary how will you market product M and take over the market share of your company - now switch roles you know that someone in other company is trying to overtake your market share My face looked so sad and dejected. An apologized sorry X, I am putting you in a difficult situation, your work title is this and you need to make such decisions. I, in fact, thanked him for such questions. I took 30-45 seconds to prepare my answer whenever a cross-question was thrown at me. I had a pen and paper in front of me and noted down bullet points and expanded on that - (after a long time ) okay but wouldn't that take additional cost - so you are telling me that you will out-innovate a million dollar company - okay so now it's a million dollar company the best is to sell it - okay now the company wants to buy your product and how will you motivate the team to sell/not sell I asked for a minute and noted down points Me: answered on how to sell and motivate the team B: but you did not address the employees for the product what about me Me; Oh I forgot, answered A: so you know how to sell your product better? Me: yes both A and B: are you taking the learning to work Me: I was answering no to a question and there was a coincidence to this question above and I said no that's not what I meant and I explained myself B: you mentioned uplift in your resume for sales. How do you quantify that? Me: I look at previous quarter revenue and look at % growth B: you mentioned you're taking some courses ( mentioned in my re-app essay about taking some online courses) Me: Answered about the courses B: why ISB Me: gave a standard answer and also said need a network to expand my family biz as well ( not sure if that was a good point) B: ok so you want a network Me: yes I want to expand my venture so I need that B: you were mentioning that you need some skills from MBA.. can you mention what skills Me: yes I want to be an entrepreneur B; so by just joining will you become one? me: I may not but ISB will put me in the right direction both A and B looking at each other: any questions: Me; the interview was really wonderful I got to look at things blah blah .. I am sorry that I could not hold back my words. A: I understand it is okay Me: asked my question A and B: replied"

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 710;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 15 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Oct 14 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"My interview was pretty straight forward 1)Walk us through your cv 2)Why MBA, why now and why isb (10 mins ) 3)How will you contribute 4)Asked me to elaborate on the initiative I led for an ngo 5) Ahobby 6)Any questions for us My interview lasted for 40 mins, of which 10-12 mins them answering the question I asked them"

UM1 from India

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 14 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 13 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I was interviewed in Hyatt Regency, New Delhi. It was pretty much on time and only a delay of half an hour or so. The interview, contrary to what was being discussed outside, was more conversational than grilling. Panel of two (not sure adcom or alumni, seemed young enough to be an alumni only). Q: Introduce your career progression, a few queries relating to current role. Q: What are three things you're looking forward to at ISB? Q: Your job going quite well, why take a break? I intend to develop a career in business consulting, so rest of it was on those lines Q: What's your Plan B if consulting doesn't work out? Q: Why consulting? Q: What are those qualities in you that make you ideal for consulting? Q: Okay you're good at problem solving, then let's do a problem: Estimate the number of commuters in Delhi Metro? Walk us through your approach. Had a bit of discussion and exchange while problem solving. Seemed satisfied after a strategy was formulated. Q: Okay tell us more about your family? General conversation. Q: Okay anything else you wish to ask us or anything you wish to tell us about your profile? Asked about Global Management and expected diversity. They explained in good detail. Total Duration: About half hour. 1 month to go! Key takeaway: Prepare well framed answers about: Your career. What are your looking for in ISB? Why MBA? Why now? Your future goals, your qualities that make you ideal for it. and thats it! Good Luck!"

pareekpranjal from India GMAT 710; WE: 57 months; Non-Profit and Government

yes
no