FINAL DECISION
SORT BY
Most helpful
SORT BY Interview date
Recent interviewed
SORT BY Post date
Recent posted
Debrief posted on  Nov 25 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 20 2019 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"I was interviewed at Delhi on 20th Oct. 2019. There were 2 alumni taking the interview. 1. They started with usual 'Tell me about yourself in 4-5 mins' routine. Which I did. 2. Then they asked about one of the achievements that I had mentioned in my CV. 3. Then why MBA, why ISB? 4. Why not executive MBA? (I have 10+ yrs of work-ex, so I expected this question) 5. Then really extensive on global current affairs (What is Iran crisis, who is Greta Thunberg, what's her protest all about etc.) 6. Lot of back and forth on the same, (I was a bit tentative in my answers on these current affairs questions, so may be to put me in the spot) 7. Then a question about hobbies, I mentioned reading, then they asked which was the last book I had read and what was it about, then they suggested other books which offered contrary opinions to the book I had mentioned. 7. Then a couple of hypothetical situation based questions related to my career goals and further cross questioning on the same. Basically ethical dilemma questions. 8. Finally, If you have any question for us. It was interactive only, but they drilled really deep into the answers that I had. Result: Wait listed."

umeshsukhwani from India GMAT 710; WE: 168 months; Energy and Utilities
0 out of 0 people found this Debrief helpful.

Was this Debrief helpful for you?

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Dec 02 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 20 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"My interview was in Hyderabad campus 10 am slot (first slot of the day). 2 members in panel - relatively very young - might be alums. A bit about me - B. Tech - Mechanical, working in L&T Construction in design department for 5 years (will be 69 months by Mar'20) 1) Tell me about your yourself 2) You have mentioned lot of extra curricular achievements in college, tell us your significant achievements in college....bit of cross questioning and inquired further details (general) about my final year project (I informed about final yr project in significant achievements). 3) Then lot of discussion around my profile - typical day in office, achievements, how my projects run, project value, tenure, etc. 4) Why MBA? Career goals? 5) Discussed a lot about Industry 4.0 (I mentioned it in my career plans) with cross questioning. 6) Will u join back in L&T (take sabbatical)? How will u fit back there? 7) If not sabbatical, what is your target industry and target companies? (specifically asked to name few) 8) Tell us something about you which is not available in your application 9) Apart from work, Did you do any courses for your personal development? Overall, the interview was very casual and more like a chilled out discussion for about 30 min. They let me finish whatever I wanted to say. Started a bit nervously but became very relaxed as they were giving positive acknowledgement and were very friendly. Had very good feeling immediately after interview."

pradeep15793 from India GMAT 710; WE: 69 months; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Apr 06 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
On Campus Interviewed on: Apr 04 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Gaurav: Most of the questions are related to my current and previous work experience. They then asked about my extracurricular activities and one question on my Family background. Two panels- One from PGPPro, and other one looks to be from PGPMAX. I felt it was completed in Relatively short time."

Ram1991 from India

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Apr 04 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
On Campus Interviewed on: Mar 26 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"The panel comprised of 2 alumni members - A PGPMAX alum and a PGPPro alum (was on skype). The interview lasted about 40 mins. Most of the questions asked were situational and related to my work experience and leadership experience. A few questions were asked on my plans post ISB, family and my hobbies. They also gave an opportunity, in case I have any questions for them. It was very conversational."

This user wants to stay Private from India Investment Banking

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 09 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Mar 09 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Questions below- 1. Tell us about your job? 2. Job profile? 3. Why do you want to pursue MBA? 4. Why ISB? The interview was relatively short lasting for just 20 minutes. The panel comprised of 3 members - one from the founding batch of PGPPRO and 2 were ex-PGPMAX. Thanks!"

thejoker003 from India WE: 111 months; Computer Software

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 10 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
Skype Interviewed on: Mar 09 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I had requested for a Skype interview as I was traveling. The interview started around 45 mins late and there was a panel of 3 people. Most of the questions were around my entrepreneurial journey and projects undertaken. There were few questions about why I would be looking at the program and if I would have time to devote. They asked me if I had any questions and I spoke to them about the entrepreneurial focus of the program. I guess it went on well but they were completely poker faced so don't know what to expect :P #fingerscrossed Hope this helped. Cheers :)"

parthoxo from India WE: 9 months; Advertising and PR

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 12 2019 [#permalink] ISB, PGP Pro
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Mar 09 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I was second in interview in Meeting Room 1. It was delayed by 45 mins. The panel consisted of three. The panel comprised of 3 members - one from the founding batch of PGPPRO and 2 were ex-PGPMAX like for joker. The interview was primarily based on present job description, challenges faced, leadership examples from life/job, reason for doing the course and management of time for the course. The interview was very interactive and informal."

TaureanBull from India WE: 150 months; Military & Defense

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 15 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 17 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"My interview was something in between of a conversation and a stress one. The first I was asked is "So what do you do", post that following was the course of interview: 1. Hows your new job different from the old one 2. Took a project from there, asked how would I have approached it differently if I were a consultant (the career I aspire after ISB) 3. The gave me a case (YES, this was completely unexpected) most of my interview was the case discussion, where I was cross questioned at every single sentence I said, by all three panelists, at a time. At this point I was pretty stressed and mush have definitely appeared so. after 40 minutes of case discussion, they asked me to go. Then stopped the second moment and asked what would you do if you don't get into consulting. No cross questioning at this. They asked why MBA, and god know why but I laughed :D then answered Managing stress during the interview is not entirely in your hand. make sure your content is solid. Dont just say/agree to any random thing just cause you want to get it over with. -Regards"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 05 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Feb 03 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Interview debrief Had my interview at 10:45 via Skype. I am a Delhi applicant and I couldn't travel to Hyderabad due to work commitments. Interview started an hour late. Q. Why couldn't you travel to Hyderabad? People usually don't miss such opportunities. My ans in brief: had super important work related meeting last night. Taking a morning flight from Delhi would've been a gamble due to fog, so requested for a Skype interview instead. (I think they understood) Q. What work do you do? Ans in brief: I work at a Healthcare startup where I am managing the company's first equity raise. I am the only one doing this, and the process is usually handled by seasoned bankers. Took them through the entire process of how I identified potential investors, how I got the docs in place, initiated conversations, and got multiple term sheets. Q. What challenges did you face in the entire process Ans in brief: I told them getting the story right is extremely critical and I initially struggled with the same. We started to see great interests from investors as soon as we got the story right. I also told him I faced a challenge while discussing the company's valuation as I have no background in it. I told them I relied on my previous employers' feedback, and a lot of research to get the valuation bit right. Q. Why would previous employers help? Isn't there a brief of confidentiality? Ans in brief: I share extremely good relations with all my previous employers. Gave them instances of how they've proactively helped me whenever I've reached out. Also told them that I had the company's promoter informed whenever I shared any info with anybody outside the company. Q. Asked a couple more questions regarding my work. Work related conversation went on for 40 mins. Q. Why Mba? Technical courses should help to advance in fund raise profiles. Ans in brief: I told them that I intend to have a far broader role than simply being stuck to a finance role. I see myself in a financial consultancy profile, and studying management in detail will be a big value add to my future roles. Q. There was a followup question to this which I don't quite remember. I answered that with decent level of conviction. Q. What is impact investment for you? How did your previous organizations categories investments as impact investments. Ans: gave a generic answer to what impact is. Q. Tell us about your work for stray animals Ans in brief: told them how I have established an unofficial network of volunteers across 6 cities (that I've lived in in the last 10 years). Told them how it all started Nad how we ended up with 70 people working for stray dogs. Q. What inspired me to take it up? Ans in brief: watching my mom get up at 4am very morning to feed the 20 odd dogs around my house. Q. What will the Healthcare company do about the fund raise if I have to leave the organization in a month's time to start my program. Ans in brief: then investment process is in its final stages and the money should hit out account in 30 days. The interview went on for 1 hour. Brief profile: 710 in gmat. 4 years experience in impact investment and 1 year at the Healthcare company raising funds for it."

abhishekr10 from India GMAT 710; WE: 47 months; Venture Capital

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 01 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Jan 19 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"Hello. A brief introduction first. I am a design graduate from NIFT with extensive work ex in apparel retail at India's leading organizations namely Raymond and Fabindia. I'd quit my full- time role as a designer to expand my scope mainly into the field of marketing a few months before this interview. At that time I'd taken up a freelance project as a marketing manager for a private label based out of Delhi. Now that you know my profile briefly, let me take you through that one hour of the interview, which changed my life forever! My interview was scheduled at at 10.40 AM, I arrived the location (Sheraton, New Delhi) by 10 AM and headed straight to register myself. This is when, probably the best part of the entire interview process happened to me- when the Adcom rep asked me- "Are you here to take an interview or are you giving one?" I was like- "Umm.. Can I? Nevermind. I am Shruti and I am here for my interview at 10.40 AM." I was guided to a waiting room filled with other candidates waiting for their 10.40 AM slot who were completing their verification formalities. This is the time you should use to pace yourself and tell yourself that you'll be the best of you today. This can be done in multiple ways- either you can talk to your fellow mates or you can shut your yes and draw deep breaths or you can call someone for a pep talk! Whatever works for you. I indulged in some small talk with the candidates sitting next to me before I was called in at 11 AM by a member of my own interview panel (that's how it is). Here’s how the questions were like .. Q: Hi Shruti. I am XYZ. How are you feeling? Q: So, (glancing though my application) Tell us something about you on this application? Q: Howcome the transition from engineering prep to NIFT? Q: Oh but you are a 9 pointer and a gold medalist, then what more did Raymond want? Q. What are you doing currently? 5 minutes gone by. Q. Give us a strategy right now for this brand you are working with right now? You have a paper and pencil and there is a glass of water if you want to drink water. You have a minute. Q. It is not a sustainable business model. How will these guys remember you 10 years from now? Q. Ok. Forget this. Now you are a marketing head at ABC, What will be your strategy? Take a minute. Think. Q. Not sure. This is not enough. Anyway, how will you implement this? 55 minutes gone by. Q. Alright. Tell us something about your family? Q. Huge sum. How will you repay the loan? Q. Any questions for us? Q. Shruti. I still don’t know why MBA? Anyway. Bye. I was sure that I needed to start working harder on my plan B since plan A would yield a negative result. However, upon receiving an admit, when I look back I realize that there were two key behavioral tactics that might have worked in my favor. First, never contradict yourself even if they try to push you over the edge. Hold your ground strong and back it up with a rational reasoning. Second, take your time to answer when stumped with an unexpected question. Being a designer, lacking understanding of marketing or strategy my only support was common sense and my experience. I made the best of that one minute by recollecting similar instances from my past."

ShrutiJain from India GMAT 650; WE: 81 months; Retail

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Apr 14 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Jan 15 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Hello. A brief introduction first. I am a design graduate from NIFT with extensive work ex in apparel retail at India's leading organizations namely Raymond and Fabindia. I'd quit my full- time role as a designer to expand my scope mainly into the field of marketing a few months before this interview. At that time I'd taken up a freelance project as a marketing manager for a private label based out of Delhi. Now that you know my profile briefly, let me take you through that one hour of the interview, which changed my life forever! My interview was scheduled at at 10.40 AM, I arrived the location (Sheraton, New Delhi) by 10 AM and headed straight to register myself. This is when, probably the best part of the entire interview process happened to me- when the Adcom rep asked me- "Are you here to take an interview or are you giving one?" I was like- "Umm.. Can I? Nevermind. I am Shruti and I am here for my interview at 10.40 AM." I was guided to a waiting room filled with other candidates waiting for their 10.40 AM slot who were completing their verification formalities. This is the time you should use to pace yourself and tell yourself that you'll be the best of you today. This can be done in multiple ways- either you can talk to your fellow mates or you can shut your yes and draw deep breaths or you can call someone for a pep talk! Whatever works for you. I indulged in some small talk with the candidates sitting next to me before I was called in at 11 AM by a member of my own interview panel (that's how it is). Here’s how the questions were like .. Q: Hi Shruti. I am XYZ. How are you feeling? Q: So, (glancing though my application) Tell us something about you on this application? Q: Howcome the transition from engineering prep to NIFT? Q: Oh but you are a 9 pointer and a gold medalist, then what more did Raymond want? Q. What are you doing currently? 5 minutes gone by. Q. Give us a strategy right now for this brand you are working with right now? You have a paper and pencil and there is a glass of water if you want to drink water. You have a minute. Q. It is not a sustainable business model. How will these guys remember you 10 years from now? Q. Ok. Forget this. Now you are a marketing head at ABC, What will be your strategy? Take a minute. Think. Q. Not sure. This is not enough. Anyway, how will you implement this? 55 minutes gone by. Q. Alright. Tell us something about your family? Q. Huge sum. How will you repay the loan? Q. Any questions for us? Q. Shruti. I still don’t know why MBA? Anyway. Bye. I was sure that I needed to start working harder on my plan B since plan A would yield a negative result. However, upon receiving an admit, when I look back I realize that there were two key behavioral tactics that might have worked in my favor. First, never contradict yourself even if they try to push you over the edge. Hold your ground strong and back it up with a rational reasoning. Second, take your time to answer when stumped with an unexpected question. Being a designer, lacking understanding of marketing or strategy my only support was common sense and my experience. I made the best of that one minute by recollecting similar instances from my past."

ShrutiJain from India

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 12 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 30 2018 Final Decision: Matriculating

"My brief profile: B.Tech NIT Trichy, M.S in Aerospace Engineering (University of Florida), Work ex of 6.9 years in Bell Helicopter Textron as a Product Development Engineer. 6 Research Papers, 2 scholarships and 5 awards. Lots of extra curricula Location was ITC Windsor in Bangalore. My panel had three alums. Interview was all on my work. It started like, "lets start with your work". I described the nature of my role, project that I was in (a new helicopter development program) and key contributions. There were a lot of cross questions and the panelists were really encouraging me to add a surprising level of detail in all my answers, like even which methods, software or tools I am using, engineering details, nature of interactions with shop floor people, technicians, end users, cross -functional groups, customers, etc. They also asked me on my papers and innovations and emphasized on providing as much scientific detail as I could. I explained everything but never used any technical jargon. I elaborated my answers well, yet kept them simple and never used any technical jargon. I broke down all engineering or scientific terms in 'what it means to you' language. They also asked me why I decided to return to India and why I took this job - and from thereon transitioned towards my post MBA goals. Here again they wanted specific answers. They read my essays and picked up my aspirations in consulting to understand and know why I want it to get into that and how I think I can realistically get there. They cross-questioned on my flexibility to do something else and my alternatives, if I dont get into that. I mentioned about my other choice area of product management. They asked for company names and what i meant by product management. I took example of indian automotive companies and homegrown products at that. They went back to why not aerospace and I explained the limitations of the indian aerospace industry and why I was keen to stay away from industries that are heavy on outsourcing. As a 'hardware' person, they asked for my opinion on the future of indian physical products or consumer durables and where we can make world class products. I said motorcycles, cars, trucks and consumer electronics and after a couple of cross-questions on the same, the interview basically concluded there. They asked if I had any questions and I asked a couple. The interview was very cordial and conversational and lasted a little above 45 minutes. They seemed happy with my answers and at the end they asked that 'on a lighter side, how much does a helicopter cost'. I came out of the interview with a smile and got the offer a month and a half later. I guess the key take away is that they want to make sure you know what you do now, what you want to do post mba and why. All the best to folks going for the R2 interviews! Hope this helps!"

smukherjee87 from India GMAT 680; WE: 79 months; Aerospace and Defense

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 29 2019 [#permalink] ISB, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Oct 26 2018 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"Profile: B.E. from BIT Mesra, 4 years in optical product development, extra-curriculars on public policy I interviewed in the Bangalore location. Panel comprised of an alumnus, an adcom and a prof. The alumnus was pretty much leading the interview. The ISB format is pretty stress-based. As I got up to go, the interviewer asked me to take something if I need. I denied, and he reinforced. I took my file which I didn't need to. Probably mistake no. 1. Questions were focused on the essay and the recommender review. 1. Tell me about your current role. 2. More details about it. (Keep it very high level. So much investment makes you tend to give more in-depth view. One might think (s)he is going in the right direction it but maintaining high-level and understandable stance against using technical language was a tricky balance for me.) 3. Tell me about this innovation+leadership experience of yours. 4. Walk me through what you did. 5. Some cross questions -> did this happen first or that happened first. 6. Your recommender has given great reviews. Show us how you showed innovation. I mentioned another example which wasn't as big. 7. More cross questions -> what did you do exactly other than processes. Concretely, what was the idea. Again, high-level/low-level needs to be maintained. 8. If you got to take this decision today, what would you do? Would you innovate similarly or differently. That was it. I hope it helps to understand what to intentionally avoid."

Reveur from India GMAT 720; WE: 48 months; Telecommunications

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 24 2018 [#permalink] ISB
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 21 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"The campus is an hour away from where I stay and I wanted to reach the location by 15:30 hrs. I started early to have lunch on my way and about 14:40 I get a call from the ISB team saying that the panel is running early and I was 10 mins away from the location and I rushed to the location. After my registration, I called the number from which I had a gotten a call and informed them about my arrival and 5 mins later I was called upstairs and I felt nostalgic and was thinking about the last time. Around 15:00 hrs I see a girl walking out of a room and a minute later I was called and I I have a legal name that is different from how I am called in real life and I told them to call me X in short and I went into the room and pleasantries were exchanged. Two panel members (P2). Let's call them A and B. B informed about my name and how I like to be referred to as X B: How are you feeling? Me: Hungry and nervous A and B: why so? (surprised look) Me: I started early to have lunch but I got a call saying that the panel was running early and I came B: but are you comfortable? Me- yes this is more important than a meal, please go ahead B: ok so you did engineering and did all these i.e walk me through your resume Me: gave them answer . made a mistake and the panel caught it and were like what.. I took my time to explain.. I was holding onto my passport and the panel told me you don't have to hold it and I replied I was nervous - Ok what work did you do at these companies - you have venture (family business) why don't you join there - Current role and what does your company do - oh so do you have a product that you sell? - is it like skype - oh if not like skype so it is like product M All in like 5-7 mins - okay what is your most ruthless business principle - repeated the question with an example - ok forget that so how are you trying to compete with Y - but still product M is from a million dollar company how are you going to do? It will buy your company etc . I don't care about 1,2,3 features of your product, I have a company of my own. - ok you are targeting country K - Do you know when the million dollar company started? any guess? - yes, so about 15+ years of brand and what are you going to do - okay now product M is launched there what will you do ( country K) - okay now you know product M is getting launched what will you do - okay let us say that product M is offering the same features then what you do - okay after 4 months the product is launched and now what do you do? - but again it is a million dollar company they can buy you out. what do you do. you are offering for 100 rupees but the other company is offering at 90 rupees - okay now you are hired by the million dollar company for double the salary how will you market product M and take over the market share of your company - now switch roles you know that someone in other company is trying to overtake your market share My face looked so sad and dejected. An apologized sorry X, I am putting you in a difficult situation, your work title is this and you need to make such decisions. I, in fact, thanked him for such questions. I took 30-45 seconds to prepare my answer whenever a cross-question was thrown at me. I had a pen and paper in front of me and noted down bullet points and expanded on that - (after a long time ) okay but wouldn't that take additional cost - so you are telling me that you will out-innovate a million dollar company - okay so now it's a million dollar company the best is to sell it - okay now the company wants to buy your product and how will you motivate the team to sell/not sell I asked for a minute and noted down points Me: answered on how to sell and motivate the team B: but you did not address the employees for the product what about me Me; Oh I forgot, answered A: so you know how to sell your product better? Me: yes both A and B: are you taking the learning to work Me: I was answering no to a question and there was a coincidence to this question above and I said no that's not what I meant and I explained myself B: you mentioned uplift in your resume for sales. How do you quantify that? Me: I look at previous quarter revenue and look at % growth B: you mentioned you're taking some courses ( mentioned in my re-app essay about taking some online courses) Me: Answered about the courses B: why ISB Me: gave a standard answer and also said need a network to expand my family biz as well ( not sure if that was a good point) B: ok so you want a network Me: yes I want to expand my venture so I need that B: you were mentioning that you need some skills from MBA.. can you mention what skills Me: yes I want to be an entrepreneur B; so by just joining will you become one? me: I may not but ISB will put me in the right direction both A and B looking at each other: any questions: Me; the interview was really wonderful I got to look at things blah blah .. I am sorry that I could not hold back my words. A: I understand it is okay Me: asked my question A and B: replied"

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 710;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 15 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Oct 14 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"My interview was pretty straight forward 1)Walk us through your cv 2)Why MBA, why now and why isb (10 mins ) 3)How will you contribute 4)Asked me to elaborate on the initiative I led for an ngo 5) Ahobby 6)Any questions for us My interview lasted for 40 mins, of which 10-12 mins them answering the question I asked them"

UM1 from India

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 14 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 13 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I was interviewed in Hyatt Regency, New Delhi. It was pretty much on time and only a delay of half an hour or so. The interview, contrary to what was being discussed outside, was more conversational than grilling. Panel of two (not sure adcom or alumni, seemed young enough to be an alumni only). Q: Introduce your career progression, a few queries relating to current role. Q: What are three things you're looking forward to at ISB? Q: Your job going quite well, why take a break? I intend to develop a career in business consulting, so rest of it was on those lines Q: What's your Plan B if consulting doesn't work out? Q: Why consulting? Q: What are those qualities in you that make you ideal for consulting? Q: Okay you're good at problem solving, then let's do a problem: Estimate the number of commuters in Delhi Metro? Walk us through your approach. Had a bit of discussion and exchange while problem solving. Seemed satisfied after a strategy was formulated. Q: Okay tell us more about your family? General conversation. Q: Okay anything else you wish to ask us or anything you wish to tell us about your profile? Asked about Global Management and expected diversity. They explained in good detail. Total Duration: About half hour. 1 month to go! Key takeaway: Prepare well framed answers about: Your career. What are your looking for in ISB? Why MBA? Why now? Your future goals, your qualities that make you ideal for it. and thats it! Good Luck!"

pareekpranjal from India GMAT 710; WE: 57 months; Non-Profit and Government

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 29 2018 [#permalink] ISB
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 13 2018

"Location : Hyderabad Campus I was interviewed by 2 male alums (both looked like they might be in their thirties). One was slightly warmer and more expressive and one was fairly straight faced. Here are some of the questions they asked : You've had recent role shift, tell us about your new role. What skills from your previous role in XYZ company have helped you in your current role? What will you learn at ISB that you can't learn from Coursera? Why waste a year? To be an entrepreneur you don't need an MBA. Explain what skills you lack that you are expecting to learn from here? Name an entrepreneur that inspires you and why. Explain what your company does the way you would to a child in 5th standard in 3 sentences. Talk about a time when you lead a team at your previous workplace. Talk about a challenge you've faced in the workplace. What are your weaknesses as a professional? We value diversity. How can you contribute to the diversity in the classroom? What is a challenge you face in your current startup? The interview went on for 45 minutes, and I tried to answer all questions with confidence and clarity. They cross questioned me a lot on the "Why MBA?" question. Apart from that they seemed okay with my answers. The tone was courteous but I wouldn't say friendly. My advice would be to have extreme clarity about your current role, current industry and your reason to do an MBA and to be honest during the interview. Good luck!"

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 690; WE: 52 months; Entertainment and Sports

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 07 2018 [#permalink] ISB
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 06 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"Started off with my current work. Spent around 15 mins on this. They asked my core responsibilities and came up with counter-questions to check whether I really accomplished the achievements. The next 45 mins were spent on my start-up. Everything from how I came up with the idea, funding, feasibility, competitors, research undertaken in the field, marketing strategies used etc. They asked a few application questions as well. Spent 5 to 10 mins on Why MBA, Why ISB, Is MBA necessary, Any other college, post-MBA goals, and their sync and feasibility, how I wish to accomplish them. Spent 2mins on one of my extra-curricular activities. Advise: Try to bring in your extra-curricular activities yourself by mentioning them somewhere. Reach out to me for any further queries."

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 720; Real Estate

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 26 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Skype Interviewed on: Feb 24 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"My interview was scheduled for 12:00 IST. It started an hour late at about 1:00pm IST. Questions: 1. Can you tell us about your current role? 2. Can you provide more details on your patents? - I have two patents that i mentioned in my application so talked about those They switched to my current role next. I work in lean six sigma. 3. What metrics would you implement in an eCommerce business like Amazon? 4. How would your skills be useful in the eCommerce business? 5. Do you get a lot of push-back from process owners in your job? How do you handle it? Next the panel asked about my goals. I want to go into management consulting. 6. What if you can't get into management consulting? What would be plan B? 7. Last, why do you want to move back to India? They asked if I had any questions. Talked a bit more about culture of ISB and opportunities in India. Overall, pretty easy and conversational interview."

This user wants to stay Private from United States GMAT 740; WE: 72 months; Manufacturing

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 17 2018 [#permalink] ISB
On Campus Interviewed on: Feb 14 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"3 member panel: 1. Tell me about your roles and responsibilities in company. 2. What your client is trying to get out of this project? 3. Tell me about your career progression in your current company. 4. Did you face any conflict in the project? How did you handle it? 5. Why MBA now? 6. What did you do to giveback to the society in your professional career? 7. If tomorrow I give you 5 cr INR, will you start your venture or will you pursue MBA? 8. What are the 5 entrepreneurial ideas you had in recent past? 9. What are the steps you think are required to start the venture? 10. What are some challenges you think you can face? 11. What are the operational challenges you think you can face? 12. Any questions for us?"

This user wants to stay Private from India

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 12 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 11 2018

"Slot: Morning; City: Bangalore; Location: ITC Windsor. I reach the venue 15mins earlier than the scheduled time. I was directed to the waiting hall where everyone who was in the same slot as mine waited. We were asked to go to another room where we were checked for Identification (Passport name/id check). Post that another waiting room where the panellists came and took the candidates to respective rooms/panel. My wait wasn't too long either. I was taken to a room where there were 3 panellists. Let's call them Panellist P1, P2 and P3. After brief introduction and handshakes, P1 asked me, "how are you feeling today?" I answered "Just fine, but a bit nervous." P1 consoled me by saying "What can we do for you to make you comfortable". I thought to myself "Grant me the admit." :lol: LOL. I said "Its natural to be little nervous at this stage and also there is a reputation of ISB interviews that precedes it. Not that I am impacted by it, but I guess I will be fine as we go along." P3 laughed and said, "I guess you read too much on what's written on the internet and WhatsApp messages." I said, "I don't read too much into it. Every interview is a very personal experience and no two people are same. So post my interview I may have my own story to convey which could be very different from what other people feel." P1 said, "We are here to help you in whichever way possible and help you make the right decision." I said,"Well thank you!" P3 said "OK! Let's start then." P3: Do you know about SEC? (I have 9+ yrs of experience) My answer: No I don't know about it. (P3 looked a touch shocked.) P3: It's a senior executive club in ISB. If you are admitted to ISB you will be a part of that club. Do you know anything about it? My Answer: I read somewhere about the fact that once you are 8+ experience and make your way to ISB you tend to be categorized differently. I didn't know there was a specific club. P3: (nodded while I answered). OK that's alright. So you have 10 yrs of experience why do you want to take a break and get into the space of product management? Why ISB? Why take a break at all? My Answer: (I came prepared for this, but I didn't expect that they will start with this.) I tried to remain calm and remember that he asked me a 3 part question to start the interview so I have to give him a 3 part answer. P3: you have a great job and you are comfortably placed I am not sure why this is a right time for you? My Answer: I answered from a different perspective detailing my career progression, etc. P1: You could break into the space of product management without an MBA? Did you consider digital certifications? or Online certifications? My Answer: I had this aspect covered as well. I had a series of questions on why product management is the right space for me and why I chose it. How my current work aligns with the goals, etc. Next 10mins spent on me explaining to them why I think this was the best space for me. P3 kept checking his watch in between when I answered these questions. :roll: I think he was trying to throw me off or derail my thought process throughout the interview. :roll: Or Maybe I did bore him with my answers. :grin: Not sure.. :lol: P2 kept smiling while I answered and jumped in the middle of these cross questions. It was clear that he worked in the space of Product Management and he looked almost convinced from my answers. Some more cross questions on career goals, what is my plan B, what is my plan B when I don't make it to ISB, Why can't pursue my plan B now, etc. I wrote a lot about my CSR activities in Essay 1. On that P3 asked, "You mentioned a line on your essay which almost makes it sound cocky! Why do you think ISB needs to know about it, given that there is limited real estate on your essay." I clarified "It's not meant to be cocky; I just wanted to convey that I don't look to get anything tangible from my CSR initiatives. " P3 nodded and cracked a silly joke. We all laughed. I think he was trying to test me here! P2 asked me a question on challenging project/situation in my current organization. I answered. To my answer, P1 said, "We must say, you have come very well prepared for the interview, to all our questions, and that's not a bad thing. :o :o ". I thought "OK that came out of nowhere :o " They all agreed and giggled. I smiled! :o P3 asked me, "Tell me something about you that's not written on your application and on the documents that are in front of us." I mentioned a story about my 2 yr old daughter and what I learnt from it. They smiled. P3 asked if I had any questions for them. I asked my question on ISB SEC club (as that was new information for me), visiting faculties, and other student club engagements. With that my interview wrapped up. :angel: :angel: Now an excruciating wait till March 5. :| :| :roll: Key Takeaways: * Be thorough with your goals and career aspirations. * Be thorough with your application and essays * Have your plan Bs in place and have proper rationale to back it up. * Research on ISB clubs if you belong to a certain category (as I did) or have a career inclination. Feel free to reach out in case you need to discuss anything."

TheMechanic from India GMAT 710; WE: 108 months;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 14 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Dec 20 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"Lead Engineer, Samsung, 40 months 730, Q50 V38 NIT Rourkela, CSE, 7.08/10 I left early, due to the fear of Bangalore traffic, reached the hotel 2 hours early *sigh*. It was lunchtime and unfortunately, my interview call came an hour late. P1 came to call me around 3 PM (slot was at 2 PM). When he asked me how I was, I gave an honest reply, “Extremely hungry!”. He apologized and gave reasons for the delay. Anyway, here is the debrief to my interview: P1: Man, Co2010 P2: Woman, Alum, much younger P1: So tell me something about yourself Started off with a brief introduction but I was interrupted halfway and they jumped directly at work-related questions. For around 25 minutes, they asked me questions related to my project (Samsung Pay), its rivals, how to improve the product, what my role has been specified in the global team, etc. (Basically they left no stones unturned to verify and understand everything I wrote in my JD and essays) Then they asked people management related questions, challenges that I have faced with people or in the project, how I overcame, how do I use the learnings in my day to day life, etc. I was able to answer each question with relative ease and confidence. ~25 minutes gone… P2: So I am done, P1 do you have anything to add? (I was so glad to hear that since the interview had gone excellent up until this point) P1: (Looking at me and then my application) I just need 2 more minutes. (me: gulp!) So, Rohan, you have had an excellent career till now, and have been working with product managers. (my goal revolved around becoming a PM) Why can’t you just try to get a Product Manager at your current workplace? With utmost confidence, I gave an answer that I had prepared and refined over and over again but the panelists had a poker face. P2: Ok, so we understand that why you need an MBA but why ISB? *grilling starts* They negated every point that I stated : Diversity: 90% of ISB students are engineers out of which 70% are from Tech, so diversity goes for a toss Specific courses: You’ll get those courses online Study groups: There are online forums/blogs for discussions, you can meet people online or offline, etc. Brand name: You already have a good pedestal at Samsung They grilled me for some time and I tried defending, but sometimes they didn’t even let me finish my sentence or speak at all. (very IMP to keep a straight/smiling face during stress interviews) Then, they asked that if I were to join ISB what electives would I take. I told them a few, but it was here things actually went south. P1: So what major do these fall under? Me: Sorry, I don’t know P1: Ok, do you know what majors you want to do at ISB? (I couldn’t remember a damn thing) Me; Sorry, I don’t know How many majors does ISB offer, what are they… -> don’t know Grilling for a few more minutes!! P2: Is ISB a university or an institute? Me: University… Oh no, sorry its an institute. P1: What body is ISB accredited by? Me: Sorry I don’t know. P1 went into a rage stating that in his n years of interviewing experience he had never come across such a batch of interviewees who didn’t even know what major they want to do or what ISB is or has to offer ( apparently he had faced this situation with a lot of candidates this time ). They both went on for 5 minutes explaining that I shouldn’t be paying so much money to study at a place I don’t know about. All the time I was silent because I knew that my dream had to wait another year. P2: So, I guess we have nothing more to ask. Do you have anything else to ask? Given how the interview had gone I had a lot of things to say, but I just asked a question regarding ELP on which we had a 2-minute discussion. When it ended, we got up and shook hands while they said that they understand that I have done pretty good work and that I want to become a PM, but I should seriously consider other options. 25 minutes of cloud 9, then 10-15 minutes of grilling and I was back to square 1, feeling terrible about myself. Most of the people, with whom I shared this experience, said that its ok, you still have a chance, it was a normal stress interview, etc. etc., but I could remember the panelists' faces and words, and knew my fate. 2.5 weeks later, I got the accept mail :) Please feel free to DM me for any queries!"

rohanpatra from India GMAT 730; Consumer Electronics

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 02 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 26 2017 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"Here is my interview experience, if its still of anyone's use: Reached almost an hour early, there were almost 8-10 candidates for mine and the next slot. It's good to be early as you get comfortable with the atmosphere and the nervousness takes a back seat, at least till you are with the panel. Coming to the interview...it was almost 15-20 mins later than the allotted time. I was called by an alumni, greeted nicely. There were 3 alumni. In a matter of 10 secs we were on the questions. First was, tell us about yourself. They eagerly listened to me, so glad. Then they asked about my ventures and I hope I answered satisfactorily. I had prepared well, but somehow I was quite nervous even though the atmosphere was as friendly as it can get. After a couple of questions about my work, they asked about short term goal, what role am looking for and my knowledge about it. Please read about this well. It looks like just another question but they can get into the details of the role and your research in it. Next they asked about my extra curricular that I had mentioned. How I made a difference in a situation. Impact etc. And then a few questions to test my presence of mind, my opinion of the industry I was targeting in short term. They asked me why I want to do one year course. How does it fit, and why a 2nd MBA. I had prepared well for this, I don't know if they were happy with my answer as there was no reaction at all and no cross questions. Lastly they asked me if I had any questions. I asked. And one of them answered on behalf of all, very nicely and succinctly. The interview lasted for up to 30 mins. I didn't see the time when I entered but had a fair idea. Overall, the panel is friendly and aren't looking for faults. They were looking for a match between essays and me. I hope I didn't leave a gap there. I don't know how it went, there was hardly any emotion there except for nodding while I answered. And a couple of smiles to make me comfortable. Those experienced can tell me what to take away. As there was almost no cross questioning. I am so anxious now. Tips for future candidates: prepare your interview per your essays, short term plan. The importance of these can not be over expressed! I didn't make a questionnaire out of my essay, but I think this will make you super confident to tackle questions and you will look genuine. Confidence is the key. Practice practice practice!!! All the best!!"

spc11 from India GMAT 710; Other

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 02 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 18 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"I would like to share my interview experience. I interviewed on 18th November at Mumbai in the afternoon slot. There were around 70 candidates - spread across several time slots and 12 panels, with 2 interviewers in each panel. Word of advise - reach the venue an hour before your slot, so that you are ready when your turn comes. The registration process is simple - fill your name, passport number and sign before and after the interview. (That's it) My interviewers were ISB alums (both from Co16). One of them (let's call him A) came over to invite me into the room. He asked me to bring a pen and paper along (which I was carrying in my bag, though we didn't use it). Then as we entered the room, he introduced me to the other panelist (call him B). Both greeted me in a happy mood. They had gone through my resume and essays thoroughly. 'A' started off with some of the points he noticed in my resume (about my extra-curricular and hobbies). It had piqued his interest, as he shared some of them, so he went on asking questions and cross-questions to understand my level of involvement. I was very confident and answered well here. I think this was largest segment in my interview. Then B asked me about my work (again details, role and some significant achievements); how I felt about working in teams; then jumped back to the projects that I had worked on. One project had the mention of Saudi Arabia, so then A started asking me about the latest news from SA (just to check my awareness). We then talked about my short term goal. My plan is to shift from data analytics to marketing. They were trying to assess how firm I was about my goal; my reasons; how I'm planning to make the shift. B then asked me about the beer-diaper syndrome (I read about this some years back, so could answer this). Finally, they asked the most customary questions of them all - Do you have any questions for us? I sought their advise on maintaining balance in academics and club activities at ISB and which according to them, would help achieve my goal. Overall, it was a casual interview. Takeaways - All questions are related to the points mentioned in your resume and essay, so make sure to go through them. Expect some questions such as the Saudi Arabia example I gave above (again this came from my resume). The interviewers may try to derail your arguments by providing contrary facts. At this point, be calm and state your understanding. (this happened quite a few times while discussing my short term goals). If you have any specific question, I'm happy to help. All the best."

sriramiitr from India GMAT 760;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 30 2018 [#permalink] ISB
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 07 2016 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I got an Interview call on 30th Jan, 2016 and it was an Off-campus Interview in Delhi. There were 2 alumni ( supposedly from the same background as mine since they asked me few technical questions on my experience ) The questions were: 1. Are you a Trained Dancer? Why don't you pursue that? I was not but since I mentioned that I teach in a dance studio, they probably presumed that. 2. What's the name of the dance studio you work at? 3. They scanned my application hard-copy and were really prepared to grill me on some results achieved. How did you achieve those results? 4. How and why did you shift into this different domain? I don't think technical people are able to do that? 5. How would you achieve the Post-Mba goal you have written? What would you do at ISB? 6. Why did you shift back to technical work? I think they were really skeptical of my work experience. 7. Why ISB? Why MBA now? 8. Questions for us? I asked 2 questions. They responded perfectly clearing my concerns. Overall it was a nice experience though I was sure they were not fully convinced of my work profile."

pria131 from India GMAT 720; Computer Software

yes
no