GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB v HKUST MBA ($) vs UNC Kenan Flagler ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 2.31
ISB v HKUST MBA ($) vs UNC Kenan Flagler ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 00:50
I've had admit offers from ISB, HKUST, and UNC Kenan Flagler and would appreciate advice. HKUST and UNC Kenan Flagler are offering about 25% of total cost in scholarship. ISB hasn't offered anything (yet).

Background: 7 years work experience as a litigating lawyer in India. POST MBA goal: strategy consulting, with long term goal being public sector consulting.

Ideally, I would like to work outside India (preferably the US). In all honesty, I do not see HKUST being a sustainable option, because of the language as well as my past experience/future goals. The political uncertainty doesn't help things either. I definitely think my profile would work in the US, however, is a 20 ranked US program a suitable way to enter an MBB for an 32 year old (at time of graduation) Indian male?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
ISB v HKUST MBA ($) vs UNC Kenan Flagler ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 08:18
Congrats on your admit!

I agree about your evaluation of HKUST in terms of language and local recruiting. You would have to recruit in Asia elsewhere....

At the same time MBB Is a competitive industry and KF places a number of folks but it is a handful and probably 1-2 international students from KF since not all recruit internationals. I would say chances are low and would have a second back up option. Perhaps consulting but not MBB.

Either way I would agree with you about KF. I wonder if someone from KF can comment about recruiting consulting. woody93 - would you have any feedback?

Posted from my mobile device
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB v HKUST MBA ($) vs UNC Kenan Flagler ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 08:30
Hi happy to help. Like bb said, recruiting for consulting is competitive everywhere. I can help out a bit on consulting at UNC this year. Historically, our top 2 have always been Deloitte and McKinsey. As someone recruiting for consulting at KF, I can speak to this years intern numbers from what I have ascertained thus far.

6-7 Deloitte (*Deloitte used to be 8-12 per class but they no longer sponsor internationals)
4-5 McKinsey (was a bit lower than last years 8-9)
2-3 Accenture
1-2 Simon Kutcher
2-3 PwC
1-2 Bain
1-2 BCG
1-2 ATK
1-2 ZS

These are pretty decent percentages given our small-ish class at 250. This is just from what I know so far and I am certain there are more. As an international, you have a few more hurdles to reach but with a high gmat, great casing, and good networking you can definitely do consulting from UNC.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 08:37
Thanks for your replies. I'd like to attend UNC, it'll be a bit of a slog getting that consulting gig (even outside of an MBB) being international, but I do know that it can be done. However, I am wary of letting ISB go (program starts in April) as I am concerned about the F1 visa process. If something goes wrong at any point in that process, I'd have lost ISB, HKUST and UNC! My thought process currently, therefore, is biased towards ISB, a great program, relatively simpler for an Indian to get into an MBB, with none of the pre and post MBA visa hurdles.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 08:43
ratbert3334 - I feel the most critical thing for consulting would be interviewing and public speaking - the client readiness. Whatever MBA program you attend, that will be evaluated quite a bit so I would recommend preparing for that ahead of time (i.e. now or before you start your MBA)
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 08:50
bb wrote:
ratbert3334 - I feel the most critical thing for consulting would be interviewing and public speaking - the client readiness. Whatever MBA program you attend, that will be evaluated quite a bit so I would recommend preparing for that ahead of time (i.e. now or before you start your MBA)

Thanks for the advice, BB. Read your post on what to do pre MBA, as well, very informative. https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-b ... 95863.html
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2020, 09:11
Hi, I'm just giving my 2 cents here and am not an expert, but have done some research on ISB prospects in consulting. The Indian consulting scenario differs from the North American scenario in one massive way - average age of recruitment post MBA. In India MBB typically recruit 23-26 yr grads out of Indian business schools and its challenging when you're above that range. You may want to check this because in NA the trend is very different and age is generally not a factor in consulting recruitment unless one is 35+. Again this is just my opinion based on some research I had done for consulting roles post ISB.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2020, 09:14
Thanks for weighing in. The cut off in the US could even be a little sooner than 35 but is definitely more forgiving. There are certain challenges the more experience candidates would face when recruiting out of bschool. Not the end of the world but something to keep in mind

ThusSpokeZ wrote:
Hi, I'm just giving my 2 cents here and am not an expert, but have done some research on ISB prospects in consulting. The Indian consulting scenario differs from the North American scenario in one massive way - average age of recruitment post MBA. In India MBB typically recruit 23-26 yr grads out of Indian business schools and its challenging when you're above that range. You may want to check this because in NA the trend is very different and age is generally not a factor in consulting recruitment unless one is 35+. Again this is just my opinion based on some research I had done for consulting roles post ISB.

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2020, 09:47
ThusSpokeZ wrote:

That was my initial thought as well. However, having spoken to current ISB students and alumni, I've been assured that age shouldn't be an issue. Of course, without actual data and numbers in hand, it could all be hot air. In any event, I do agree with you that being a slightly older candidate in India would be a disadvantage.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB v HKUST MBA ($) vs UNC Kenan Flagler ($)   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2020, 09:47

ISB v HKUST MBA ($) vs UNC Kenan Flagler ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate