Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Geometryx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618997 [15]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64917 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64917 [3]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1288 [2]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: It costs $2,250 to fill right circular cylindrical Tank R with a certa [#permalink]
Bookmarks
The volume of a cylinder = \(πr^2h\)

From S1:

\(D_R = 2D_S\)
But, no info about height.
Hence, Insufficient.

From S2:

\(H_R = H_S\)
But, no info about radius.
Hence, Insufficient.

Combining both:
We can find the Radius and height.
Sufficient.

C is the answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64917 [2]
Send PM
Re: It costs $2,250 to fill right circular cylindrical Tank R with a certa [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
It costs $2,250 to fill right circular cylindrical Tank R with a certain industrial chemical. If the cost to fill any tank with this chemical is directly proportional to the volume of the chemical needed to fill the tank, how much does it cost to fill right circular cylindrical Tank S with the chemical?

(1) The diameter of the interior of Tank R is twice the diameter of the interior of Tank S.
(2) The interiors of Tanks R and S have the same height.

DS14602.01
Quantitative Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

kaylaquijas

We are given that price is directly proportional to volume.

Price = k*Volume

2250 = k * Vr
(Vr is the volume of tank R)

We need the cost to fill tank S. If we can find the relation between the volume of tank R and volume of tank S, we can find the price of filling tank S. Say their volumes are same. Then tank S will also need $2250 to fill up. Say volume of tank S is twice the volume of tank R, then tank S will need $4500 to fill up and so on...

Volume of a tank R = pi*r^2*h (it depends on radius and height)

(1) The diameter of the interior of Tank R is twice the diameter of the interior of Tank S.
So tank S has half the diameter of tank R i.e. it has half the radius of tank R.
This means that the volume of tank S is one fourth the volume of tank R if their heights are the same. Else volume will depend on height too.
Not sufficient alone since we don't know the relation of their heights.

Now we know that their heights are the same. But alone this is not sufficient because we don't have the relation of their radii.

Using both, we know that radius of S is 1/2 of the radius of tank R and height of tank S is the same as the height of tank R.

Volume of tank S = pi*r^2*h/4

Since the volume of tank S is only 1/4th of volume of tank R, price of filling it up will also be 1/4th of $2250 = $562.5

Though we don't need to do all these calculations.

KarishmaB
Thank you for this helpful explanation. To clarify, on the formula "Price = k*Volume" can you have Price*k = Volume instead?

I just didn't know if I multiple the constant by price or formula in setting up the problem to solve. Thank you again :)

It doesn't matter how you set it up.

Price = k * Volume or Volume = k * Price

The value of k in the two cases will be different. For example, we may find that Price = 3 * Volume, but had we set it up the other way around, we may have found that Volume = (1/3)* Price
Both are the same. k = 3 in one case and k = 1/3 in the other case.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
""If the cost to fill any tank with this chemical is directly proportional to the volume of the chemical needed to fill the tank"" translates to πr^2h=k2250 :

UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello experts, chetan2u VeritasKarishma GMATBusters
I was wondering whether could someone explain this part ""If the cost to fill any tank with this chemical is directly proportional to the volume of the chemical needed to fill the tank""

From what I know the formula when two elements a and b are directly proportional is a=kb , so I was wondering what is the impact of this phrase in this question , is it to just state that the πr^2h=2250 or if we were to strictly follow the information given we would have to present it with some other way like πr^2h=k2250 ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
since volume is directly proportional to cost of chemical and volume is piDH so u need both to find the ans.hence C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
tank r cost = 2250 $ is same as the vol of tank - 2250 ; pi * r^2 *h = 2250
now for tank S we need its r and h values
Dr= 2Ds
not sufficient as h is missing radius of s = radius of R /4
h is same , r is missing
from 1 & 2
pi* r2*h /4 = 2250/4 ; 562.5$
IMO C

Bunuel wrote:
It costs $2,250 to fill right circular cylindrical Tank R with a certain industrial chemical. If the cost to fill any tank with this chemical is directly proportional to the volume of the chemical needed to fill the tank, how much does it cost to fill right circular cylindrical Tank S with the chemical?

DS14602.01
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
I was wondering whether could someone explain this part ""If the cost to fill any tank with this chemical is directly proportional to the volume of the chemical needed to fill the tank""

From what I know the formula when two elements a and b are directly proportional is a=kb , so I was wondering what is the impact of this phrase in this question , is it to just state that the πr^2h=2250 or if we were to strictly follow the information given we would have to present it with some other way like πr^2h=k2250 ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

Volume of a cylinder = \(πr^2h\)

(1) We are not given \(h\); Insufficient.

(2) We are given \(r\); Insufficient

Considering both:
We have both \(r & h\); Sufficient.

The answer is \(C\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
KarishmaB

KarishmaB wrote:
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:

Directly proportional means

Volume = k * Price
Volume = k * 2250

We know that Volume =\( \pi*r^2*h \) so price is directly proportional to square of the radius (if height is constant). If the radius doubles, the price becomes 4 times. If radius becomes half, price becomes 1/4th. So you can get the actual price if you know that height doesn't change.

Check this post for some more examples:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/0 ... -directly/

We have ratio information, but no count. We don't know what h equals. We don't know what r equals. It's not possible to solve for two variables in one equation. How can you solve it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
It costs $2,250 to fill right circular cylindrical Tank R with a certa [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

DS14602.01

kaylaquijas

We are given that price is directly proportional to volume.

Price = k*Volume

2250 = k * Vr
(Vr is the volume of tank R)

We need the cost to fill tank S. If we can find the relation between the volume of tank R and volume of tank S, we can find the price of filling tank S. Say their volumes are same. Then tank S will also need $2250 to fill up. Say volume of tank S is twice the volume of tank R, then tank S will need $4500 to fill up and so on...

Volume of a tank R = pi*r^2*h (it depends on radius and height)

So tank S has half the diameter of tank R i.e. it has half the radius of tank R.
This means that the volume of tank S is one fourth the volume of tank R if their heights are the same. Else volume will depend on height too.
Not sufficient alone since we don't know the relation of their heights.

Now we know that their heights are the same. But alone this is not sufficient because we don't have the relation of their radii.

Using both, we know that radius of S is 1/2 of the radius of tank R and height of tank S is the same as the height of tank R.

Volume of tank S = pi*r^2*h/4

Since the volume of tank S is only 1/4th of volume of tank R, price of filling it up will also be 1/4th of $2250 = $562.5

Though we don't need to do all these calculations.

KarishmaB
Thank you for this helpful explanation. To clarify, on the formula "Price = k*Volume" can you have Price*k = Volume instead?

I just didn't know if I multiple the constant by price or formula in setting up the problem to solve. Thank you again :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

DS14602.01

dear Bunuel
I picked up E , I wonder how we know the chemical is filled fully in the right circular cylindrical tank.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618997 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

DS14602.01

dear Bunuel
I picked up E , I wonder how we know the chemical is filled fully in the right circular cylindrical tank.

It costs $2,250 to fill right circular cylindrical Tank R with a certain industrial chemical, means it costs that much to fill the cylinder up to its capacity. Otherwise the sentence won't make sense.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts