It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 03:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is believed that military strategists in the medieval

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
It is believed that military strategists in the medieval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2012, 03:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:01) correct 31% (01:13) wrong based on 244 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It is believed that military strategists in the medieval ages used manned kites surveying enemy troops, so anticipating techniques of modern aerial surveillance.
(A) used manned kites surveying enemy troops, so anticipating techniques of
(B) were using manned kites to survey enemy troops anticipating techniques of
(C) had used manned kites, surveyed enemy troops, and anticipated techniques of
(D) used manned kites to survey enemy troops, a technique anticipating
(E) using manned kites to survey enemy troops, were anticipating techniques of

I dont agree with the OA....i'll post my apprehension in the next post so that it does not interfere anyone's thinking process
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: manned kites [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2012, 03:09
upasanadatta wrote:
I dont agree with the OA....i'll post my apprehension in the next post so that it does not interfere anyone's thinking process

In D, the OA, isnt 'a technique....' wrongly modifying the entire clause 'used manned kites surveying enemy troops' ? the 'a technique.....' partis a noun modifier, not a verb modifier....please help
Quote:

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9050 [4], given: 335

Re: manned kites [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2012, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

It is believed that military strategists in the medieval ages used manned kites surveying enemy troops, so anticipating techniques of modern aerial surveillance.

The sentence means that it is believed that in the medieval ages, military strategists used manned kite. They did so to survey enemy troops. This technique of the past led to the modern aerial surveillance.

1. The verb-ing modifier “surveying” is modifying kites because it is not preceded by a comma. However, from the meaning of the sentence, the purpose of using manned kites was to survey the enemy troops. Hence, we must to+verb to denote the purpose.
2. Another verb-ing modifier “anticipating” is modifying the preceding clause “strategists used manned kites”. However, placemen of “so” before this modifier denotes that anticipation was a conscious effort on the part of the strategists. This is certainly not the intended meaning of the sentence. So this part has to be changed.

POE:

(A) used manned kites surveying enemy troops, so anticipating techniques of. Incorrect for reasons stated above.

(B) were using manned kites to survey enemy troops anticipating techniques of: Incorrect. Firstly, this sentence is providing general information about the strategists and hence must be written in the simple past tense. Use of past continuous is incorrect. Secondly, verb-ing modifier “anticipating” is now modifying “enemy troops”, suggesting that enemy troops anticipated the modern aerial surveillance. This is absolutely illogical.

(C) had used manned kites, surveyed enemy troops, and anticipated techniques of: Incorrect. Firstly, use of past perfect tense is not correct because it is unnecessarily establishing the sequencing here. Secondly, “surveyed” now does not denote the purpose of using the manned kites. “anticipated” again looks like a conscious action done by the strategists.

(D) used manned kites to survey enemy troops, a technique anticipating: CORRECT. “to survey” correctly denotes the purpose now. “a technique anticipating” is modifying the entire clause. We have a noun (a technique) + noun modifier (anticipating modern aerial surveillance). Noun + noun modifiers can zoom into any aspect of the preceding clause to modify it. Here it is modifying the entire clause.

(E) using manned kites to survey enemy troops, were anticipating techniques of: Incorrect. Firstly, verb-ing modifier “using” is illogically modifying “medieval ages”, suggesting they used manned kites. Again, this choice denotes that the strategists were consciously anticipating the modern aerial surveillance. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

1. Noun + noun modifiers can modify either a noun entity or the entire preceding clause.
2. When presenting general facts, we must use simple tense (present/past).
3. Be wary of changes in the sentence that distorts the original meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9050 [4], given: 335

G

Kudos [?]: 9068 [0], given: 1154

It is believed that military strategists in the medieval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 14:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) used manned kites surveying enemy troops, so anticipating techniques of
(B) were using manned kites to survey enemy troops anticipating techniques of
(C) had used manned kites, surveyed enemy troops, and anticipated techniques of
(E) using manned kites to survey enemy troops, were anticipating techniques of

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3480 [1], given: 123

Premium Member
Re: It is believed that military strategists in the medieval age [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 16:34
This post received
KUDOS

(A) used manned kites surveying enemy troops, so anticipating techniques of >>> Wrong. "so anticipating" is wrong modifier, hence, coveys wrongmeaning. The strategists did not anticipate techniques. Must be "the techniques used to anticipate something".

(B) were using manned kites to survey enemy troops anticipating techniques of >>> Wrong. Because "anticipating" modifies enemy troops. that's wrong.

(C) had used manned kites, surveyed enemy troops, and anticipated techniques >>> Wrong. Not parallel

(D) used manned kites to survey enemy troops, a technique anticipating >>> Correct. Good structure and correct modifier

(E) using manned kites to survey enemy troops, were anticipating techniques of >>> Wrong. Not parallel.

So, I vote for D.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3480 [1], given: 123

G

Re: It is believed that military strategists in the medieval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2013, 02:42
Official Answer (OA) – D
Concepts Tested – Meaning, Verb Tense
The sentence, in its original form, makes no sense. It appears as though the kites
are doing the surveying on their own. Also the last part of the sentence after the
comma (so anticipating....) makes no logical sense with the rest of the sentence.
So eliminate A

B - Unnecessarily uses the past continuous tense. Also distorts the meaning by
making it appear as though the enemy troops were anticipating something.

C - Makes ‘used’, ‘surveyed’, and ‘anticipated’ parallel but this is not what the
sentence is implying. The manned kites were actually used to do the survey.

Between D and E, E again distorts the meaning by suggesting that the military
strategists were anticipating something. ‘Anticipating’ in the original sentence
implies ‘preceding’ or ‘was a forerunner of’. D gets this meaning across correctly
and is the best answer.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Re: It is believed that military strategists in the medieval age [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2013, 04:31
pqhai wrote:

(A) used manned kites surveying enemy troops, so anticipating techniques of >>> Wrong. "so anticipating" is wrong modifier, hence, coveys wrongmeaning. The strategists did not anticipate techniques. Must be "the techniques used to anticipate something".

(B) were using manned kites to survey enemy troops anticipating techniques of >>> Wrong. Because "anticipating" modifies enemy troops. that's wrong.

(C) had used manned kites, surveyed enemy troops, and anticipated techniques >>> Wrong. Not parallel

(D) used manned kites to survey enemy troops, a technique anticipating >>> Correct. Good structure and correct modifier

(E) using manned kites to survey enemy troops, were anticipating techniques of >>> Wrong. Not parallel.

So, I vote for D.

@carcass - Although I picked D, I had a doubt - a technique after the comma is modifying the entire phrase before the comma or just the enemy troops. Can you please explain.

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 12

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 59

GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2013, 06:51
The sentence has a clear split of verb tense. A simple past "used" and modifier "a technique..." is best in Option D

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 59

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 09:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2014, 00:02
I think I'm starting to appreciate the Noun+Noun Modifier nuances.

Thanks e-gmat!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 22:55

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 22:33

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 09:26
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Re: It is believed that military strategists in the medieval   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2017, 09:26

It is believed that military strategists in the medieval

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap