Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [10]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [5]
Given Kudos: 77
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: It is frequently assumed that the mechanization of work has a revoluti [#permalink]
It can be inferred from the passage that the author would consider which of the following to be an indication of a fundamental alteration in the conditions of women`s work?

A Statistics showing that the majority of women now occupy white-collar positions
B Interviews with married men indicating that they are now doing some household tasks
C Surveys of the labor market documenting the recent creation of a new class of jobs in electronics in which women workers outnumber men four to one
D Census results showing that working women’s wages and salaries are, on the average, as high as those of working men
E Enrollment figures from universities demonstrating that increasing numbers of young women are choosing to continue their education beyond the undergraduate level

Why is A incorrect?
A is clearly stated in the passage where as D is not.
What did I miss guys?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [2]
Send PM
Re: It is frequently assumed that the mechanization of work has a revoluti [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
AdityaHongunti wrote:
Lovely and an easy passage. The questions were straight and forward.
Q1. A and E contenders. The first line of second paragraph " ...question the assumption" gives us a clear answer choice A. This is the first time ever i have seen a 100% correct answer. Each and every person who answered was right.
My wish- If this were an official GMAT RC passage. Is this truly a 700+ level passage?

It depends also on your skills. What for you is simple for others are tough. yes, it is an official passage but not from GMAT but GRE. Actually, they are the same.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Kudos
Which of the following best describes the function of the concluding sentence of the passage?

(A) It sums up the general points concerning the mechanization of work made in the passage as a whole.
(B) It draws a conclusion concerning the effects of the mechanization of work which goes beyond the evidence presented in the passage as a whole.
(C) It restates the point concerning technology made in the sentence immediately preceding it.
(D) It qualifies the author's agreement with scholars who argue for a major revision in the assess-ment of the impact of mechanization on soci-ety.
(E) It suggests a compromise between two seem-ingly contradictory views concerning the effects of mechanization on society.

Please explain why B is the answer.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
If you read almost the entire last paragraph

Quote:
Fundamentally, however, the conditions under which women work have changed little since before the Industrial Revolution: the segregation of occupations by gender, lower pay for women as a group, jobs that require relatively low levels of skill and offer women little opportunity for advancement all persist, while women's household labor remains demanding. Recent historical investigation has led to a major revision of the notion that technology is always inherently revolutionary in its effects on society. Mechanization may even have slowed any change in the traditional position of women both in the labor market and in the home.

hope now is more evident to you.

Ask for further assistance.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: NTU '22 (S)
Send PM
It can be inferred from the passage that the author most probably believes which of the following to be true concerning those historians who study the history of women?

A Their work provides insights important to those examining social phenomena affecting the lives of both sexes.
B Their work can only be used cautiously by scholars in other disciplines.
C Because they concentrate only on the role of women in the workplace, they draw more reliable conclusions than do other historians.
D While highly interesting, their work has not had an impact on most historians’ current assumptions concerning the revolutionary effect of technology in the workplace.
E They oppose the further mechanization of work, which, according to their findings, tends to perpetuate existing inequalities in society.

I marked D as the answer. Could someone explain why A is the answer?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Very good passage ! Surprisingly got all correct in 12-13 minutes (3:50 to read). Generally get 1 odd inference questions wrong. :)

I must admit, I got this question correct by fluke :

It can be inferred from the passage that the author most probably believes which of the following to be true concerning those historians who study the history of women?

A Their work provides insights important to those examining social phenomena affecting the lives of both sexes. --> Contender
B Their work can only be used cautiously by scholars in other disciplines. --> Other disciplines we dont know
C Because they concentrate only on the role of women in the workplace, they draw more reliable conclusions than do other historians. --> Contender
D While highly interesting, their work has not had an impact on most historians’ current assumptions concerning the revolutionary effect of technology in the workplace. --> Did have an impact, last 2 lines. If it didnt have an impact, the author wouldnt have written the essay in the first place. :D
E They oppose the further mechanization of work, which, according to their findings, tends to perpetuate existing inequalities in society. --> No basis. They just said it aint good enough in transforming social roles.

Was confused between A and C, Eliminated C as we didnt have any indication of reliability. B, D, E were anyways out. I was not sure about this answer.

Happy! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V34
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi, I tried to explain Q4. It may help you

It can be inferred from the passage that the author would consider which of the following to be an indication of a fundamental alteration in the conditions of women`s work?

A Statistics showing that the majority of women now occupy white-collar positions -( White collar position doesn't mean that Women will pay higher or equal to Men's pay for the same level of Job) ( In passage it mentioned that
{white-collar instead of blue-collar work. Fundamentally, however, the conditions under which women work have changed little since before the Industrial Revolution: the segregation of occupations by gender, lower pay for women as a group, jobs that require relatively low levels of skill and offer women little opportunity for advancement all persist}

B Interviews with married men indicating that they are now doing some household tasks. Out of Scope ( there is nothing mentioned this).
C Surveys of the labor market documenting the recent creation of a new class of jobs in electronics in which women workers outnumber men four to one -( narrow to the only electronic area- doesn't tell about other areas)
D Census results showing that working women’s wages and salaries are, on the average, as high as those of working men ( This line shows that actually women are hiring for their capabilities and pays also higher than men )-Correct
E Enrollment figures from universities demonstrating that increasing numbers of young women are choosing to continue their education beyond the undergraduate level - Out of scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
can someone explain q6 please, I eliminated all the options except A and E.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sajal089 wrote:
can someone explain q6 please, I eliminated all the options except A and E.

In the first paragraph Jules Simon, a French politician warned that by providing employment in the industry will be end in some negative social transformation, here is the lines:

by doing so, women would give up their femininity. Friedrich Engels, however, predicted that women would be liberated from the social, legal, and economic subordination of the family by technological developments that made possible the recruitment of "the whole female sex. . . into public industry."

The historians who study the history of women basically refuting the Jules Simon prediction in the second paragraph, read these lines from the passage:

Historians, particularly those investigating the history of women, now seriously question this assumption of transforming power. They conclude that such dramatic technological innovations as the spinning jenny, the sewing machine, the typewriter, and the vacuum cleaner have not resulted in equally dramatic social changes.

Historian said these technologically advancement will transform women and men life equally not just the women. So option A is correct and E is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
Can someone please explain how (D) can be eliminated ?

7. Which of the following best describes the function of the concluding sentence of the passage?

(A) It sums up the general points concerning the mechanization of work made in the passage as a whole.
(B) It draws a conclusion concerning the effects of the mechanization of work which goes beyond the evidence presented in the passage as a whole.
(C) It restates the point concerning technology made in the sentence immediately preceding it.
(D) It qualifies the author's agreement with scholars who argue for a major revision in the assess-ment of the impact of mechanization on soci-ety.
(E) It suggests a compromise between two seem-ingly contradictory views concerning the effects of mechanization on society.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
abhinav261289 wrote:
Can someone please explain how (D) can be eliminated ?

7. Which of the following best describes the function of the concluding sentence of the passage?

Hi abhinav261289,

I will try to explain how I came to the correct answer, B, and eliminated D. Hope this is helpful for you. So here it goes -

As the last sentence may not be just enough, we will take the last two sentences of the passage. These are -
Recent historical investigation has led to a major revision of the notion that technology is always inherently revolutionary in its effects on society. Mechanization may even have slowed any change in the traditional position of women both in the labor market and in the home.

Okay, so if you have understood the passage, the main idea, which we get till now from the passage, is that mechanization of work can sometimes help in transformation of certain aspects in a postive way and sometimes it may not help at all. The case in which it does not help is being majorily discussed here, wherein the historians say that while assessing impact of mechanization of work on transformation of power for women, historians have realized that mechanization, even though has a positive impact, has not really helped in this situation for women.

Now coming to the second last line of the passage. Here we see that the author, while summarizing, agrees with the historians by saying that their is a revision of thought for mechanization ,or technology, impacting society.
In the very next line, the author also adds to the previous line a thought of his own, in which he says that mechanization may even have slowed the change, that is, it may even have had a negative impact on the situtation of women.

I hope the above helps you understand why 'B' is clearly the correct answer.

Also for 'D' -
Here the options says that 'It qualifies' the author's agreement. Here 'qualify' may mean that it has proven the authors conclusion as an example. But if you have understood the previous explanation by me, it can help you deduce that the last line is not an example but clearly a supplementary deduced thought post his conclusion, an add-on, if I may.

Hope this will help you resolve your confusion :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Can someone explain 1Q, 5Q, 6Q in detail ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts