GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 05:02

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 419
It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 03:15
2
13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:02) correct 46% (01:00) wrong based on 565 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources.

A) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources
B) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent contamination of water sources
C) to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
D) for our ecology and welfare to prevent the contamination of water resource
E) to prevent the contaminating of water resources for our ecology's welfare
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 713
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 03:33
C seems best here: to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
though i feel that following would have been also OK: for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contamination of water sources

faults :
A) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources
B) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent contamination of water sources----->we need "the contamination"
C) to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
D) for our ecology and welfare to prevent the contamination of water resource
E) to prevent the contaminating of water resources for our ecology's welfare
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 160
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 07:39
aditya8062 wrote:
C seems best here: to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
though i feel that following would have been also OK: for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contamination of water sources

faults :
A) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources
B) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent contamination of water sources----->we need "the contamination"
C) to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
D) for our ecology and welfare to prevent the contamination of water resource
E) to prevent the contaminating of water resources for our ecology's welfare



Wats difference in "the contamination" and "contamination" ??

What part does "," plays in choice C).
Help me in this.


Thanks in advance,
Swami.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 713
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 07:43
3
Quote:
Wats difference in "the contamination" and "contamination" ??


you are talking about a specific "contamination" of water resources and not just random "contamination" so you need "the contamination"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2015
Posts: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.65
Reviews Badge
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 08:31
So, this question has been idle for a while, but is "the" really the determining factor here? Is there a rule here? I don't see significant difference in meaning between B and C, but C sure seems to have an awkward sentence structure.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Posts: 83
Location: Brazil
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 05:44
iwantstanford wrote:
So, this question has been idle for a while, but is "the" really the determining factor here? Is there a rule here? I don't see significant difference in meaning between B and C, but C sure seems to have an awkward sentence structure.

I agree with you.
However, after I checked again I understood, we have to think about the meaning of the first sentence. (The original one)

In the original the author is talking about a specific contamination. "The contamination".

Although letter B is concise and actually sounds better, it doesn't convey the message that the author wants to deliver.
Due to this fact, letter C is a better option.

Experts, please I need if my explanation is correct.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 111
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 12:32
1
goodyear2013 wrote:
It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources.

A) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources
B) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent contamination of water sources
C) to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
D) for our ecology and welfare to prevent the contamination of water resource
E) to prevent the contaminating of water resources for our ecology's welfare


I picked C based off of meaning. Maybe I am wrong, but A, B and C read, to me, that it is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent something. In other words, the welfare of the ecology has to prevent the contamination. That is not plausible. Down to C and E. E has the error the contaminating. That left me with C
_________________

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 130
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 13:13
goodyear2013 wrote:
It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources.

A) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources
B) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent contamination of water sources
C) to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
D) for our ecology and welfare to prevent the contamination of water resource
E) to prevent the contaminating of water resources for our ecology's welfare


can someone help me with this question. down to B ad C. Why is C preferred over B?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 297
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 04:52
1
aks456 wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources.

A) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent the contaminating of water resources
B) for the welfare of our ecology to prevent contamination of water sources
C) to prevent the contamination of water resources, for the welfare of our ecology
D) for our ecology and welfare to prevent the contamination of water resource
E) to prevent the contaminating of water resources for our ecology's welfare


can someone help me with this question. down to B ad C. Why is C preferred over B?


I think it all boils down to choice of the word contamination over the word contaminating.It is always preferable to use a noun than a participle as a noun.Though usage of participle as a noun is not wrong on the GMAT.

However the catch in the sentence is the meaning ( i guess so ! )

If B were correct, it would read as :
It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent contamination of water sources.

However on closer reading the sentence seems to suggest that the " welfare" must prevent contamination. ( This is the meaning that made me choose C over B..though I would prefer someone to back my understanding)

C is unambiguous in meaning .

Hope the above helps. :-D :-D :-D

I donot mind Kudos
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 235
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 09:58
abhimahna

I rejected C because after ", for" we'll require an independent clause (,FANBOYS). Something doesn't add up. Also I didn't understand how "contamination" vs "the contamination" differ??
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3614
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 02:24
prateek176 wrote:
abhimahna

I rejected C because after ", for" we'll require an independent clause (,FANBOYS). Something doesn't add up. Also I didn't understand how "contamination" vs "the contamination" differ??


Hey prateek176 ,

The FANBOYS rule structure is as follows:

Independent Clause, [FANBOYS] Independent clause.

Here "for the welfare of our ecology" isn't a clause. It is a phrase. So, that rule isn't applicable here.

I would not bother about "contamination" vs "the contamination" unless I don't know why the other options are incorrect.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 235
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Re: It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 06:10
abhimahna wrote:
prateek176 wrote:
abhimahna

I rejected C because after ", for" we'll require an independent clause (,FANBOYS). Something doesn't add up. Also I didn't understand how "contamination" vs "the contamination" differ??


Hey prateek176 ,

The FANBOYS rule structure is as follows:

Independent Clause, [FANBOYS] Independent clause.

Here "for the welfare of our ecology" isn't a clause. It is a phrase. So, that rule isn't applicable here.

I would not bother about "contamination" vs "the contamination" unless I don't know why the other options are incorrect.

Does that make sense?


Hi abhimahna

Visited this question today once again.
Today I felt that option B and D are wrong because both choices start off with " It is important for the welfare of the ecology". "welfare of ecology" is the effect which should follow "contamination of resources". B and D also appear wrong because it seems as if it is important FOR something to prevent contamination of resources.
C appears best of the lot.

What do you say?
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3614
Premium Member Reviews Badge
It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 07:55
prateek176 wrote:
Hi abhimahna

Visited this question today once again.
Today I felt that option B and D are wrong because both choices start off with " It is important for the welfare of the ecology". "welfare of ecology" is the effect which should follow "contamination of resources". B and D also appear wrong because it seems as if it is important FOR something to prevent contamination of resources.
C appears best of the lot.

What do you say?


Hey prateek176 ,

I would not rule out B and D options for the reason you stated.

Option D is incorrect because it is changing the meaning. As per the original meaning, we will day it is important for one thing - for the welfare of ECONOMY. We are not saying important for two things - Economy and welfare.

Option B is incorrect because of the incorrect usage of "sources" . You need to understand the difference between a source and a resource.

These 2 words are mostly confused to have the same meaning, which isn't true.

Source means the origin, root cause of something. Where as Resource is something that is readily available to use.

In other way I can say, Resources are the things that we use and Source is the place where we get these things from.

For example;

Water is the source of energy. Water resources are used for irrigation.
Father is the source of income for a family. People are the resources of the company.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

GMAT Club Bot
It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent &nbs [#permalink] 21 Apr 2018, 07:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

It is important for the welfare of our ecology to prevent

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.