GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1627
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2006, 20:01
selene wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
"E" is the best.

It supports the claim that 'marriage is not the reason for living long".



:wave

Vivek, it is nice to see you again :king


Thanks selene, let's start it with full force :)
Nice to see you, prof, brajesh, gaurav, sanjay around at high potential :good
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2151
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2006, 07:29
Fact: Married people live longer.
Argument: It is not marriages, but less unhealthy habits, that make people live longer.

Ask for strengthen.

A. Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm.
Provide an alternative reason why married people live longer. Do not directly support the argument, but explains the fact.

B. A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the same habit who is unmarried.
Prove that married people have less unhealthy habit. But does not directly support that less unhealthy habits make people live longer.

C. A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately.
Similar as B.

D. Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage do not resume the habit later in life.
Similar as B.

E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry.
Directly prove that it is not marriage, but the healthy habits, that make people live longer.

Yes it is a clear E.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Posts: 125
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2006, 07:35
Philosophically B may be correct.

But as far as this CR is concerned it seems like E to me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5062
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2006, 07:42
(E) boils it down to lifestyle choices, rather than marriage, that determine one`s longevity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 310
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2006, 09:09
Yup chose E here...

But doesn't it talk about ppl who are not married along with ppl who are married...Shouldn't ppl who are not married be out of context...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 124
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2009, 00:58
3
barakhaiev wrote:
It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults live longer than those who never marry. This dose not show that marriage causes people to live longer, since, as compared with other people of the same age, young adults who are about to get married have fewer of the unhealthy habits that can cause a person to have a shorter life, most notably smoking and immoderate drinking of alcohol.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

A. Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm.
B. A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the same habit who is unmarried.
C. A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately.
D. Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage do not resume the habit later in life.
E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry.

Please, provide your explanations



Choose E here.

E affirms that marriage doesn't impact on life expectancy prolongation. Hence, the conclusion that marriage causes people to live longer is strengthen.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 6
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2009, 23:31
2
A) Incorrect- weaken the argument
B) Incorrect- Irrelevant
C) Incorrect- Out of the scope
D) Incorrect - Here the sentence is people who marry as young adult. But in the premises it is " young adults who are about to get married".
E) correct
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 528
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2009, 04:05
1
E it is

D is a Trap Good explanation swathi
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1192
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:36
1
According to my source, OA is not E but D.
Please clarify.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 204
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2011, 07:59
crackHSW wrote:
Why is the OA D ,please explain someone , E is not the right answer



Why do you say E is not the right answer? I understand why E is. And see if my 2 cents helps.

The conclusion of the argument is: Marriage does not improve longevity, but a lack of habits in those people, i.e. young adults whether or not they are about to get married.

Therefore E says that people who do not have the habits and do not marry and live as long as those who do not have the habits and marry. Now seriously, on a lighter note that has to be true! No offence to anybody. :)
_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 128
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2011, 02:08
Maybe E is wrong because of the below e.g:
Suppose A and B are two young persons starting off with non vices when young.
A gets married and then picks up vices
B remains a bachelor and then picks up same vices at same age.
Both do not live, long because they only live "as long" as each other according to the option.

Also D stresses on the fact that you have to give up the vice to live longer which strengthens the argument that marriage has nothing to do with long life

A and B weaken the case
C is not relevant I think...
Maybe some expert can comment too...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 209
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2011, 08:20
Izvos wrote:
Maybe E is wrong because of the below e.g:
Suppose A and B are two young persons starting off with non vices when young.
A gets married and then picks up vices
B remains a bachelor and then picks up same vices at same age.
Both do not live, long because they only live "as long" as each other according to the option.

Also D stresses on the fact that you have to give up the vice to live longer which strengthens the argument that marriage has nothing to do with long life

A and B weaken the case
C is not relevant I think...
Maybe some expert can comment too...

I think the most authenticated expert is GMAC. And if this question is from OG, then there is no doubt about the correct answer.

OFFICIAL GUIDE ANSWERS ARE NEVER WRONG

The only thing that is wrong is our logic to understand the argument and solve the question.
E is definitely the correct answer here.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 103
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 17:03
unpacking the argument:
s1 generalizes: young adults who get married live longer
s2 somewhat does not agree and provide more fact saying: young adults who are about to get married have moderately unhealthy habits like smoking and drinking.

we have strengthen this s2:

A: out of scope
B: out of scope
C: provide comparison -- irrelevant
D: out of scope
E: premise says young adults even if they do not smoke or drink, and they get married or stay unmarried live longer. This strengthen S2.

Best Answer is E.
_________________

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.


Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2014
Posts: 18
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (PGPX)
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2014, 01:47
5
3
It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults live longer than those who never marry. This dose not show that marriage causes people to live longer, since, as compared with other people of the same age, young adults who are about to get married have fewer of the unhealthy habits that can cause a person to have a shorter life, most notably smoking and immoderate drinking of alcohol.

Conclusion : Marriage is not responsible for prolonged life expectancy. (Be careful about NOT)
Assumption: To improve that life expectancy, some other factors such as having a sports background in college, being genuinely fit before marriage could be the reason for improved life expectancy.

Looking at options with conclusion "Marriage is not responsible" (Anything else beyond is out of scope)
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

A. Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm.--- Marriage is responsible.
B. A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the same habit who is unmarried. Gives up because of marriage. (infact true with most men and women outside as well. Marriage is the cause
C. A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately.
We are not running a marriage bureau :) Who marries whom is obviously out of scope
D. Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage do not resume the habit later in life. - This is the most tricky answer. We can assume that people end up giving up unhealthy habit after marriage mostly because of the pressure from spouse and thus this is also saying that marriage is responsible for the increase life expectancy. Has it been an inference question we can not assume this cause and effect . But, here we can safely eliminate this.
E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry.
Bingo. .!. I don't drink alchol or smoke, and so as my friend. We both hit a century. Only difference is he married and died unlike me. Thus, marriage is NOT the reason for increased life expectancy and thus strengthens the conclusion that marriage doesn't impact your life expectancy. (in real world it is likely to reduce :) .
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 547
Location: Germany
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2014, 03:43
1
Prethinking: we are interested in the group of people, who are about to get married --> people who are already married - out of scope
Second: The conclusion says, that people that tend to marry are healthier already before the marriage, it's not a marriage that makes a person healthier.

A) Some causes after marriage -> out of scope
B) already married - out of scope (actually weakens the conclusion)
C) tempting (people who don't smoke/drink are seeking for a partner that shares his or her views and it's unlikely that a person and partner who don't smoke/drink before the marriage, can start smoking or drinking - but it's a further assumption, a weak argument)
D) Again, something happens after marriage -> out of scope
E) Bingo ! It's not a marriage causing young adults live longer, that the healthy way of life, that enables the longer live

Please correct me, i f my reasoning is false.
_________________

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 110
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 20:23
1
(A) Repeats the info and doesn't strengthen.
(B) Contradicts the claim that newly engaged couples are just as safe as young adults who are married.

E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry.

If you don't have bad habits, you live longer. That relationship is further established with a control group of adults who have never married and have healthy habits. This attempts to causally relate healthy habits with longevity, just as the argument's premise is based on. Answer E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: One more try
Joined: 01 Feb 2015
Posts: 48
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 06:53
It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults live longer than those who never marry.
This does not show that marriage causes people to live longer, since, as compared with other people of the
same age, young adults who are about to get married have fewer of the unhealthy habits that can cause a
person to have a shorter life, most notably smoking and immoderate drinking of alcohol.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(A) Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm.
(B) A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the
same habit who is unmarried.
(C) A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of
marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately.
(D) Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage
do not resume the habit later in life.
(E) Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry
live as long as those who marry.
_________________

Believe you can and you are halfway there-Theodore Roosevelt

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Posts: 204
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 08:10
This is a great Q. I got i wrong, deviating form the main conclusion.
The conclusion says that marriage is not the reason. That's it. We need to bolster this statement.
E is the clear winner.

Thanks for the Q.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 02:50
manojkumarmatala wrote:
It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults live longer than those who never marry. This dose not show that marriage causes people to live longer, since, as compared with other people of the same age, young adults who are about to get married have fewer of the unhealthy habits that can cause a person to have a shorter life, most notably smoking and immoderate drinking of alcohol.

Conclusion : Marriage is not responsible for prolonged life expectancy. (Be careful about NOT)
Assumption: To improve that life expectancy, some other factors such as having a sports background in college, being genuinely fit before marriage could be the reason for improved life expectancy.

Looking at options with conclusion "Marriage is not responsible" (Anything else beyond is out of scope)
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

A. Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm.--- Marriage is responsible.
B. A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the same habit who is unmarried. Gives up because of marriage. (infact true with most men and women outside as well. Marriage is the cause
C. A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately.
We are not running a marriage bureau :) Who marries whom is obviously out of scope
D. Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage do not resume the habit later in life. - This is the most tricky answer. We can assume that people end up giving up unhealthy habit after marriage mostly because of the pressure from spouse and thus this is also saying that marriage is responsible for the increase life expectancy. Has it been an inference question we can not assume this cause and effect . But, here we can safely eliminate this.
E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry.
Bingo. .!. I don't drink alchol or smoke, and so as my friend. We both hit a century. Only difference is he married and died unlike me. Thus, marriage is NOT the reason for increased life expectancy and thus strengthens the conclusion that marriage doesn't impact your life expectancy. (in real world it is likely to reduce :) .


So in conclusion, we have to find an option which says marriage didn't cause improved life expectancy. I was confused between b,d and e. Thanks for the explanation. B and D options are out, so left with correct option E. Kudos!
_________________

If you can't give up, you can't lose.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 94
GPA: 3.92
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2016, 13:25
A. Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm. Nope. Says marriage causes x.

B. A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the same habit who is unmarried. Nope. Says marriage causes x.

C. A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately. Nope. Prompt says that this group is less likely to get married. Also, the statistic would have already taken this into account.

D. Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage do not resume the habit later in life. Nope. Says marriage causes x.

E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry. Winner winner chicken dinner. Strengthens argument by showing if certain characteristics are the same, married and non-married folk live to be, on average, the same age

+1 Kudos if my post helped clarify the problem!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults &nbs [#permalink] 31 Dec 2016, 13:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.