Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [7]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: It’s very hard to determine correctly the efficiency of new machines [#permalink]
Bookmarks
This is evaluation question, my approach is "variation technique" that is presented in Power Score CR - Bible.

The question stem is quite convoluted, but we can paraphrase it like "which of the following statement can be used to evaluate the measure of machine efficiency?"

The basic idea of "variation technique" is adding YES/NO to each answer. If YES/NO does not change anything ==> The answer is wrong. But if YES/NO can change the part you want to evaluate ==> The answer is correct.

KEY point is "QUALITY", so stick to the options that mention quality.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER

(A)Producing cartridge cases is THE PRIMARY PURPOSE / NOT THE PRIMARY PURPOSE of the machine discussed in the passage.
Clearly, YES/NO does not affect the objection to the measure of machine efficiency ==> A is wrong.

(B)The number of cartridge cases produced in a certain amount of time by a cartridge case machine is RELEVANT / NOT RELEVANT to determining machine’s efficiency.
Clearly, YES/NO does not affect the objection to the measure of machine efficiency ==> B is wrong

(C)Machines producing cartridge cases are REPRESENTATIVE / NOT REPRESENTATIVE of all other machines.
Clearly, YES/NO does not affect the objection to the measure of machine efficiency ==> C is wrong

(D)The quality of the product produced CAN BE IGNORED / CANNOT BE IGNORED when determining the time efficiency of a certain machine.
If the quality can be ignored ==> the more products, the more efficiency
If the quality must be considered ==> the more products does not mean the more efficiency, cause we have to consider how many defects.
D is correct.

(E)The quality of the product MAY DECREASE / MAY NOT DECREASE when the quantity of the product produced in a certain amount of time increases.
Clearly, YES/NO does not affect the objection to the measure of machine efficiency ==> E is wrong

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: It’s very hard to determine correctly the efficiency of new machines [#permalink]
I like this question stem.We have to get a good idea about what exactly is being asked.Good question overall

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Its very hard to determine correctly the efficiency of new machines [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Its very hard to determine correctly the efficiency of new machines [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts