Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7797 [93]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [18]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [13]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2093 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

Good question.

We are comparing the geographic ranges of the sickle cell & malaria & not just the geographic range of the sickle cell

Hope this clears your doubt :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1082 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene [#permalink]
Bookmarks
It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria that first drew attention to the possibility that the sickle cell gene might confer resistance to the disease.

(A) should be wrong coz it is comparing geographic range of the sickle cell gene with malaria
IMO it should compare the coincidence of the range of the two.

(B) B also same problem

(C) C also same problem

(D) here the word ranges says that they are comparing the two ranges...

(E) awkward.

Guys please correct me if i am wrong .
am i missing out on the meaning of the sentence
??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Need some expert Advice here please : -

Need to clarify this

It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria that first drew attention to the possibility that the sickle cell gene might confer resistance to the disease.

Here in option A , wont that just point to malaria as that always points to the previous noun

or that will refer to the coincidence of ............. sickle cell gene and malaria -
which means that points to coincidence .....

Any help would be appreciated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation . Cleared my doubt .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I know that option A is the best amongst the given ones but on what basis is option D eliminated?

Thanks in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and that of malaria that first drew attention to the possibility that........

There should be 3 "that"s in the sentence; I have tried to match them with their respective antecedents using different colours above.]

Using your interpretation, since there are multiple geographic ranges, shouldn't "geographic range" be plural?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and that of malaria that first drew attention to the possibility that........

There should be 3 "that"s in the sentence; I have tried to match them with their respective antecedents using different colours above.]

Using your interpretation, since there are multiple geographic ranges, shouldn't "geographic range" be plural?

Here the usage of "that" is as follows:

The relative pronoun "that" is used to create to a copy of the noun it refers to ("geographic range"). The usage is similar to the following:

The car I used to have was bigger than that I have now.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rs47 wrote:
I know that option A is the best amongst the given ones but on what basis is option D eliminated?

Thanks in advance!

A present participle modifier by itself cannot be used as the subject of a sentence. In option D, "coinciding " is a present participle modifier (X and Y coninciding) and hence cannot be used as a subject.

Verb-ing used a gerund can be subject of a sentence. e.g. Singing is my favourite hobby. ....correct.
Verb-ing used as a present participle cannot be the subject. e.g. Jane singing is very nice to listen to......wrong. (This usage is similar to to option D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

The relative pronoun "that" is used to create to a copy of the noun it refers to ("geographic range"). The usage is similar to the following:

I would say your interpretation and the question are more like this:

The car you have and that I do are blue. (Your interpretation)

Vs

The car you and I have is blue.

If your interpretation is correct, the question should be:

The cars you and I have are blue.

Does this make sense?

Posted from my mobile device
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:

I would say your interpretation and the question are more like this:

The car you have and that I do are blue. (Your interpretation)

Vs

The car you and I have is blue.

If your interpretation is correct, the question should be:

The cars you and I have are blue.

Does this make sense?

Posted from my mobile device

Yes, probably I understand your point. That is the reason I suggested that "that of" is required before "malaria":
....coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and THAT OF malaria...

Instead, let us consider that the singular "geographic range" is changed to plural "geographic ranges" as follows:
....coincidence of the geographic rangeS of the sickle cell gene and malaria...

This in my view is slightly ambiguous. This usage may imply that the multiple ranges are common for both sickle cell gene and malaria. The idea that two different ranges (one of sickle cell gene and the other of malaria) coincided is not very clear. The "car" example above would probably make the problem clearer:

The cars you and I have are blue...... this may imply that you and I own the same cars, and those cars are blue.
The car I have and that you have are blue.... this makes it clear that your car and my car are not the same, and they are blue.

Did I understand your point correctly?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:

Yes, probably I understand your point. That is the reason I suggested that "that of" is required before "malaria":
....coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and THAT OF malaria...

Instead, let us consider that the singular "geographic range" is changed to plural "geographic ranges" as follows:

This in my view is slightly ambiguous. This usage may imply that the multiple ranges are common for both sickle cell gene and malaria. The idea that two different ranges (one of sickle cell gene and the other of malaria) coincided is not very clear. The "car" example above would probably make the problem clearer:

The cars you and I have are blue...... this may imply that you and I own the same cars, and those cars are blue.
The car I have and that you have are blue.... this makes it clear that your car and my car are not the same, and they are blue.

Exactly. If the GMAT sentence had said "that of" there would have been no ambiguity. Unfortunately, this is only hypothetical.

The reality is that the "geographic range" in the sentence represents two geographic ranges, so grammatically it should be plural. I'm sure there is a reason for the singular form to be correct, some kind of exception, but what is it? How can we generalize this reason, this rule, this exception?

In the car example, let's try to make it resemble the GMAT sentence even more:

"The car of mine and that of yours"

Now, without the option of saying "that of", which is the case in the GMAT sentence, would you say, with the objective of retaining the original meaning,:

"The car of mine and yours"?

I think saying it that way would imply there is only one car. Likewise, saying "the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria" implies only one geographic range.

Or maybe there is in fact only one geographic range?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Exactly. If the GMAT sentence had said "that of" there would have been no ambiguity. Unfortunately, this is only hypothetical.

The reality is that the "geographic range" in the sentence represents two geographic ranges, so grammatically it should be plural. I'm sure there is a reason for the singular form to be correct, some kind of exception, but what is it? How can we generalize this reason, this rule, this exception?

Now, without the option of saying "that of", which is the case in the GMAT sentence, would you say, with the objective of retaining the original meaning,:

I think saying it that way would imply there is only one car. Likewise, saying "the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria" implies only one geographic range.

In order to have a coincidence there has to be two distinct entities, not one - one entity cannot coincide all by itself. Hence there must be two ranges (one of SCG and the other of M). Therefore in my view the usage of singular or even a plural that belongs to both the groups simultaneously is not correct - there has to be two different groups that concincide.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38821 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM

(A) It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria that--------> looked pretty right Answer

(B) It was the geographic range of the sickle cell gene coinciding with malaria that ----> Incorrect.Showed Illogical relationship between geographic range and the sickle cell

(C) The geographic range of the sickle cell gene coinciding with malaria was what ------>Incorrect for the same reason as Answer Choice B and use of what is suspicious in Correct Answer Choice

(D) The geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria coinciding was what --------->Incorrect for the same reason as Answer Choice B and use of what is suspicious in Correct Answer Choice

(E) It was that the geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria were coincident that----->Incorrect for the same reason as Answer Choice B,in addition to this reason this choice is ambiguous(used "that" two times illogically)

Correct Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
In order to have a coincidence there has to be two distinct entities, not one - one entity cannot coincide all by itself.

Can you please explain this. Specially I am not able to understand the thing about why there need to be two distinct entities?

It was coincidence of time that Einstien and Max Plank both researched on Particle Physics.

This suggests that Einstien and Max Plank both researched Particle Physics at the same time.

Here also, it says It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria

This suggests that sickle cell gene and malaria both had the same geographic range.

Where am I going wrong in my interpretation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:

(B) It was the geographic range of the sickle cell gene coinciding with malaria that ----> Incorrect.Showed Illogical relationship between geographic range and the sickle cell

(D) The geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria coinciding was what --------->Incorrect for the same reason as Answer Choice B and use of what is suspicious in Correct Answer Choice

Can you elaborate on this analysis? What relationship in answer choice D is illogical?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

In order to have a coincidence there has to be two distinct entities, not one - one entity cannot coincide all by itself. Hence there must be two ranges (one of SCG and the other of M). Therefore in my view the usage of singular or even a plural that belongs to both the groups simultaneously is not correct - there has to be two different groups that concincide.

So you're basically saying the GMAT's official answer is incorrect? I would agree with that. What a weird GMAT question.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:

So you're basically saying the GMAT's official answer is incorrect? I would agree with that. What a weird GMAT question.

Is this an official GMAT question ? Then I am sure we are missing something. They are never wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts