It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 08:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest: Igbo children generally stay with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest: Igbo children generally stay with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 19:22
Bunuel wrote:

Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest Starts

QUESTION #12:

Igbo children generally stay with their parents until marriage, after which both husband and wife live together but apart from both their families. The Igbo people follow the 'bride wealth' system. In contrast to dowry, which is a practice prevalent in most other societies, 'bride wealth' is money and gifts given by the groom’s family to the bride’s family. 'Bride wealth' is considered a way of compensating the bride’s family for the loss of a young and productive member.

Which of the following is a use, which when 'bride wealth' is put to, will make the compensation true to its intent, in the case of the Igbo people?

A. Put it in an interest bearing account so that the family has a regular income in the form of interest.
B. Use it to get a young wife for a member of the bride’s family.
C. Use it to buy gifts for the bride.
D. Use it for the conduct of the marriage.
E. Keep it for an emergency.

after re-reading
A. $ always coming - hold
B. but then the member of the bride's family will live with new wife apart from family - no.
C. no
D. no
E. no

only A works.

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Jamboree Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 1410

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest: Igbo children generally stay with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
the passage of this question is from a reading, but I cannot recall what the reading is.
the question is a self-made question, but I believe the pattern is important.
A ineed is the answer b/c of "compensate for productive member"
mikemcgarry, do you know the original form of this question?

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 1410

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8984 [1], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 15:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chesstitans wrote:
the passage of this question is from a reading, but I cannot recall what the reading is.
the question is a self-made question, but I believe the pattern is important.
A ineed is the answer b/c of "compensate for productive member"
mikemcgarry, do you know the original form of this question?

Dear chesstitans,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This question resembles an official question on GMAT about as much as a hamster resembles a race horse. This is a complete joke. The topic is not GMAT-worthy, and the wording of the question, including the phrase "compensate for productive member," is sloppy and open to myriad interpretations. This is a unmitigated disaster. If someone was trying to create a GMAT CR practice question, that person has failed in the most spectacular way imaginable.

My friend, the very best thing you could do for your GMAT preparedness is to blot this question out of your head and pretend that it doesn't exist.

Here's a high quality GMAT CR practice question:
Mountain County and Sunrise

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8984 [1], given: 113

Re: Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest: Igbo children generally stay with   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 15:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest: Igbo children generally stay with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap