GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

James Watt did not invent the steam engine—versions existed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
James Watt did not invent the steam engine—versions existed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 19:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

95% (00:53) correct 5% (00:48) wrong based on 74 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

James Watt did not invent the steam engine—versions existed since the early eighteenth-century—but Watt added a condenser, and this improvement made the engine so efficient and powerful that it became available for widespread industrial use.

A. this improvement made the engine so efficient and powerful that it became
B. this improvement made the engine of such efficiency and power, it would become
C. so efficient and powerful it was that this improvement made the engine, that it became
D. such was the efficiency and power caused by this improvement, it has become
E. there was so much efficiency and power in this improvement that it became

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: test
Yawer: Yawer
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 200 Q33 V33
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Re: James Watt did not invent the steam engine—versions existed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 19:29
IMO A seems okay. Will explain if I am correct.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 19:46
shekhu wrote:

Why you are letting others decide. Why not you explain either way. In the end its your test. I say always put explanation on Gmat club. Only two things will happen this way. either you will be correct or you will learn something. I encourage you to give a try.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 19:58
James Watt did not invent the steam engine—versions existed since the early eighteenth-century—but Watt added a condenser, and this improvement made the engine so efficient and powerful that it became available for widespread industrial use.

A. this improvement made the engine so efficient and powerful that it became - CORRECT
B. this improvement made the engine of such efficiency and power, it would become - the second clause is an independent clause whereas it should be a subordinate clause.
C. so efficient and powerful it was that this improvement made the engine, that it became - No proper reference for 'it', does it refer to condenser or engine.
D. such was the efficiency and power caused by this improvement, it has become - the second clause is an independent clause whereas it should be a subordinate clause.
E. there was so much efficiency and power in this improvement that it became - changes the meaning.

Answer A.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: test
Yawer: Yawer
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 200 Q33 V33
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 20:15
aragonn wrote:
shekhu wrote:

Why you are letting others decide. Why not you explain either way. In the end its your test. I say always put explanation on Gmat club. Only two things will happen this way. either you will be correct or you will learn something. I encourage you to give a try.

Alrighty, shall give it a shot then.

A. seems correct
B. usage of would is wrong, plus verb is better than noun.
C. meaning issue, it seems that condenser itself became available for widespread industrial use.
D. same as C
E. Improvement did not become available for widespread industrial use.

Mostly meaning issue in this one.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GPA: 4
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 00:38
Option A is correct.

A. this improvement made the engine so efficient and powerful that it became - Correct.
B. this improvement made the engine of such efficiency and power, it would become - would become is wrong as we are not talking about prediction made in the past for some future event.
C. so efficient and powerful it was that this improvement made the engine, that it became - this improvement made the engine is wrong. Actual meaning is that the improvement made the engine efficient and powerful.
D. such was the efficiency and power caused by this improvement, it has become - Has become is clearly wrong. events are in the past.
E. there was so much efficiency and power in this improvement that it became - Meaningless as no where the word engine is mentioned.

Hello Guys, If you find any flaw in my reasoning please help me out here. I am in the learning phase now.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 16:07

Official Explanation

A question about scientist James Watt and the steam engine.

The most common idioms of consequence are

so [adjective] that

such [noun] that

Choice (A) uses the first idiom. It is sleek and elegant: no problems.

Choice (B) opts for the second idiom, turning the adjectives into nouns, and it omits the “that”—this omission makes this answer too casual for the GMAT, whereas turning the adjectives into nouns makes it too stilted. This answer choice fails in both directions! Choice (B) is incorrect.

Choice (C) is hyper-dramatic, far more dramatic and emphatic than the context demands. Furthermore, the dramatic rearrangement introduces a second “that,” which is confusing. The words “that” and “it” each appears twice, each doing different things—very confusing! Choice (C) is incorrect.

Like choice (B), choice (D) turns the adjectives into nouns and omits the “that.” This is even more hyper-dramatic than (B), but it has the same casual omission of “that.” It seems to suggest, illogically, that the “improvement” and not the “engine” became widely available. It’s also strange passive and indirect. Choice (D) is wrong for a number of reasons.

Choice (E) is extremely indirect, passive, and livy-livered. Like (D), this illogically suggests that the “improvement” and not the “engine” became widely available. Choice (E) is grammatically correct but it has rhetorical and logical problems. Choice (E) is incorrect.

Choice (A) is the best answer.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: James Watt did not invent the steam engine—versions existed &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 16:07

James Watt did not invent the steam engine—versions existed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap