It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 10:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 15:09
How can E be the answer? I went for A.
E talks about people loaning their CDs to friends. If this is the case, why would this trend suddenly change in 1994? People would have been following this practice of loaning CDs to friends for long time and would not suddenly increase or decrease so as to cause a 10k decline in sells. Moreover, this has nothing to do with opening of new shop at the town.

A seems to be best answer

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Schools: ISB '16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 06:32
swappatil123 wrote:
How can E be the answer? I went for A.
E talks about people loaning their CDs to friends. If this is the case, why would this trend suddenly change in 1994? People would have been following this practice of loaning CDs to friends for long time and would not suddenly increase or decrease so as to cause a 10k decline in sells. Moreover, this has nothing to do with opening of new shop at the town.

A seems to be best answer

Hi Swapnil,

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Clearly as per Jennifer's argument, Videorama, opened in 1994, started selling CDs in addition to renting them out. There is no explicit mention of CDs being sold in 1993 before the opening of Videorama. Therefore option E which states that "People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends." will only be applicable from 1994 when people actually started buying CDs (in 1993, people only took CDs on rent) from Videorama. Therefore, option E surely weakens Brad's argument!

Hope this will make things clear.

Regards
Sidhant Sharma

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 17:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 200

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 08:00
Conclusion : Must be another reason for decline as 10000 fewer videos rented but only 4000 sold.
Missing info : Any other impact on video renting due to this new outlet.

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
Irrelevant as it does not help in any way to reconcile the difference highlighted by Brad.

(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
If two new outlets for renting has opened, then it should actually increase renting but as the argument mentions, it does not. So this information is not helpful.

(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
Whether they give on discount on certain nights or not, the end result is there were fewer rentings in 1994 than in 1993.

(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
Irrelevant.

(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.
Correct. So people who bought the videos loaned it to their friends and hence, those people did not have rent them through the outlets and thus reducing the rentings.
This clarifies that the reason for fewer rentings was the new Video rental outlet.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 200

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 08:39
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 607

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 04:32
Imo E

It clearly other reason for the decline in the rental videos .
If people are subletting the videos at a cheaper rate then people renting from the stores will not rent or buy videos from stores thereby reducing number of videos sold and rented.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 607

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1131 [0], given: 93

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 06:36
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.
Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. -Irrelevant- since choice A doesn't provide any concrete reason why a smaller number of sales could cancel out a larger number of rentals.
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville. - Irrelevant
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week. - Irrelevant
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater. - Out of scope
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends. - Correct - The 4000 videos might have been loaned by buyers to their friends

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1131 [0], given: 93

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 99

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 10:20
ChrisLele wrote:
Let me do a better job of showing why (A) is not the answer. In doing so, I'll address Charlemagne original explanation.

Sold videos and rented videos are not discrete in terms of who watches the videos. Think of it this way, if I go over to my friend's house and watch a movie, it doesn't matter whether he bought the video or rented the video. I most likely will not rent the movie myself (I've already seen it).

Therefore the argument is not "due to the number of videos rented out by Videorama as opposed to the number of videos sold", but rather to why fewer people are renting videos from Videorama in the first place. 'Sold videos' can thus have a major impact on whether someone rents from Videorama. If I know my buddy Jake bought a cheap copy of Avatar from Videorama, then I am less likely to run down there and rent Avatar. As (E) says, friends are likely to loan videos. I ask Jake he loans me his copy: one fewer person to rent Avatar for Videorama.

Hope that was clearer :).

ChrisLele: Sorry to bring this up after so many days.....but people could have rented the videos in 1993 too. Why just in 1994?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 99

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 14:54
IMO OA is E

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
-> Even though A is correct, we cannot assure Videorama lent how many videos. It is possible that Videorama lent only 10 videos.
(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
-> two new? Out of scope
(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
-> discount? Out of scope
We have to narrow our thinking to 'lent' and 'sold'.
(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
-> Theater? Out of scope
(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.
-> Correct.
'Own' means people buy the video tapes.
This can strengthen Jennifer's argument.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2298 [1], given: 501

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 17:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ImAnkitKaushik wrote:
ChrisLele wrote:
Let me do a better job of showing why (A) is not the answer. In doing so, I'll address Charlemagne original explanation.

Sold videos and rented videos are not discrete in terms of who watches the videos. Think of it this way, if I go over to my friend's house and watch a movie, it doesn't matter whether he bought the video or rented the video. I most likely will not rent the movie myself (I've already seen it).

Therefore the argument is not "due to the number of videos rented out by Videorama as opposed to the number of videos sold", but rather to why fewer people are renting videos from Videorama in the first place. 'Sold videos' can thus have a major impact on whether someone rents from Videorama. If I know my buddy Jake bought a cheap copy of Avatar from Videorama, then I am less likely to run down there and rent Avatar. As (E) says, friends are likely to loan videos. I ask Jake he loans me his copy: one fewer person to rent Avatar for Videorama.

Hope that was clearer :).

ChrisLele: Sorry to bring this up after so many days.....but people could have rented the videos in 1993 too. Why just in 1994?

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but before Videorama opened in 1994, fewer videos were being sold in the area. That means that if you wanted to watch a video, you probably had to rent it (rather than borrowing a copy that, for example, your friend owned). So yes people were renting videos in both 1993 and 1994. But once Videorama opened, more people started buying videos. Those people could then loan their purchased copies to friends, so those friends would not have to rent as many videos.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2298 [1], given: 501

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 99

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but before Videorama opened in 1994, fewer videos were being sold in the area. That means that if you wanted to watch a video, you probably had to rent it (rather than borrowing a copy that, for example, your friend owned). So yes people were renting videos in both 1993 and 1994. But once Videorama opened, more people started buying videos. Those people could then loan their purchased copies to friends, so those friends would not have to rent as many videos.

I hope that helps!

Makes sense now...thank you so much GMATNinja

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 99

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Schools: XLRI
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V19
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2018, 00:14
We have to weaken Brad's Conclusion: There must be alternative explanation for the decline in the no.of rented videos.

Negating the conclusion :- There must not be the alternative reason. --> Videorama is the only cause that led to the effect in the question.

Aim :- We have to show the evidence how sold 4K videos affected decline in the no. of rented videos.

E is the only option that suits.

Raju.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2018, 00:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap