Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [169]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [59]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [37]
Schools: LBS '14 (S)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]
Kudos
gautrang wrote:
I found this one, it is pretty good in a way.

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.

I cannot understand why the OA something else. I went with option A.

The conclusion or argument in the stimulus is -- The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama,. And Brad's objection is -- Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994 and his statement is defending Videorama. If we have to seriously weaken the force of Brad's objection we need to prove that the fall in rental numbers is directly or at least in good part because of Videorama.

Option A attacks Videorama and hence should be the correct option. Option E is in fact strengthening Brad's stance but pointing to a different cause in the fall of rental.

Any other thoughts ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [13]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ezhilkumarank wrote:
gautrang wrote:
I found this one, it is pretty good in a way.

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.

I cannot understand why the OA something else. I went with option A.

The conclusion or argument in the stimulus is -- The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama,. And Brad's objection is -- Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994 and his statement is defending Videorama. If we have to seriously weaken the force of Brad's objection we need to prove that the fall in rental numbers is directly or at least in good part because of Videorama.

Option A attacks Videorama and hence should be the correct option. Option E is in fact strengthening Brad's stance but pointing to a different cause in the fall of rental.

Any other thoughts ???

J: The loss of 10,000 rentals was all Videorama's fault.
B: That's not possible, since Videorama only sold 4000 videos.

That means brad's objection is based on the fact that 4000 is a smaller number than 10,000.

Thus to to WEAKEN brad's objection,COME UP WITH A WAY FOR 4000 SALES TO CANCEL OUT 10,000 RENTALS.

(a) is irrelevant to this issue.

(e) provides a perfect reason why the 4000 sales could, indeed, compensate for the 10,000 rentals: if the sold videos are loaned around, then each of them could cancel out multiple rentals.

Hence E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
What is the source of the source of this question? This is a pretty tricky question where A and E both have good reasons to be right I read it like this:

The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Thus if the 10,000 rental drop is coming from videorama, wouldn't it make sense for A to be a choice as well as E?

This is how it looks to me:

A: If 4000 dvds were sold, and it states there were more rentals than movie sales, then at least 4001 copies were rented out. This would account for the majority, and would take a big chunk out of the other company's business right?

E: If 4000 dvds were sold, and if those people were more likely to lend their dvds, then it would equate to at least one extra person watching that movie who would have rented.

This is where it gets tricky to me. Are we to decide that because of these people giving the video out to others, does that mean it is due to videorama or the consumer? Additionally, if we are to say this is due to videorama, wouldn't A be the choice? If someone can explain this based on the points made I would like to know why this is E and not A. Please provide the source of this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [11]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
rooster wrote:
What is the source of the source of this question? This is a pretty tricky question where A and E both have good reasons to be right I read it like this:

The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Thus if the 10,000 rental drop is coming from videorama, wouldn't it make sense for A to be a choice as well as E?

This is how it looks to me:

A: If 4000 dvds were sold, and it states there were more rentals than movie sales, then at least 4001 copies were rented out. This would account for the majority, and would take a big chunk out of the other company's business right?

E: If 4000 dvds were sold, and if those people were more likely to lend their dvds, then it would equate to at least one extra person watching that movie who would have rented.

This is where it gets tricky to me. Are we to decide that because of these people giving the video out to others, does that mean it is due to videorama or the consumer? Additionally, if we are to say this is due to videorama, wouldn't A be the choice? If someone can explain this based on the points made I would like to know why this is E and not A. Please provide the source of this question.

You're misunderstanding the argument. The argument isn't that Videorama rented or sold 10,000 videos that would have come as rentals from other stores. The argument is that the total of ALL video rentals (including whatever Videorama rented) in the area decreased by 10,000 in the given year. So in 1993, people in Centerville rented a grand total of, say, 100,000 videos, but in 1994 after Videorama opened, people in Centerville only rented 90,000 videos. The number of videos that Videorama rented is irrelevant, because it's included in that 90,000 figure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
hey..

The arguement compares rentals - that were less in 1994 than 1993.. with sale of videos by videorama..

so why not bridge the gap why saying videorama rented more than it sold ? - a?
similarly why not b ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Priyanka2011 wrote:
hey..

The arguement compares rentals - that were less in 1994 than 1993.. with sale of videos by videorama..

so why not bridge the gap why saying videorama rented more than it sold ? - a?
similarly why not b ?

Responding to a pm:

The following is the gist of the argument:

Jennifer: Video rental outlets handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline was due to opening of Videorama in 1994 that sold videos cheaply.

Brad: Wrong. The decline was 10,000 rentals but Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Question: Which would most seriously weaken Brad's objection?

We have to weaken Brad's objection that Videorama sold only 4000 videos whereas the decline is 10,000 videos.
What can explain that 4000 videos sold by Videorama are responsible for the decline of 10,000 in rentals? 4000 videos sold should be responsible for decline of about 4000 rentals only. But if people lend their videos to family and friends, each video sold could account for 2-3 fewer rentals. Then it is possible that 10,000 fewer people rent the videos. Therefore, (E) weakens Brad's objection and is our answer.

(A) and (B) do not provide an explanation against Brad's objection and hence are not correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I choose A.

Brad's argument starts with an inherent belief that the reason presented by Jennifer is not enough. He backs it with data about the number of videos sold by Videorama. 'A' most seriously weakens Brad's argument as it shows that the impact felt by the other Video Rental outlets is more so due to the number of videos rented out by VIdeorama as opposed to the number of videos sold.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Send PM
I agree with charlemagne. The conclusion by Brad states sales but the argument is about rentals. This leaves only A as the option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
naveenhv wrote:
I agree with charlemagne. The conclusion by Brad states sales but the argument is about rentals. This leaves only A as the option

Thanks for the vote of confidence dude...wonder if Chris' argument is definitive though?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Let me do a better job of showing why (A) is not the answer. In doing so, I'll address Charlemagne original explanation.

Sold videos and rented videos are not discrete in terms of who watches the videos. Think of it this way, if I go over to my friend's house and watch a movie, it doesn't matter whether he bought the video or rented the video. I most likely will not rent the movie myself (I've already seen it).

Therefore the argument is not "due to the number of videos rented out by Videorama as opposed to the number of videos sold", but rather to why fewer people are renting videos from Videorama in the first place. 'Sold videos' can thus have a major impact on whether someone rents from Videorama. If I know my buddy Jake bought a cheap copy of Avatar from Videorama, then I am less likely to run down there and rent Avatar. As (E) says, friends are likely to loan videos. I ask Jake he loans me his copy: one fewer person to rent Avatar for Videorama.

Hope that was clearer :).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos