GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Jerry Buchanan was honoured by the President not only as a great paint

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Jerry Buchanan was honoured by the President not only as a great paint  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jan 2019, 00:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (00:45) correct 66% (00:35) wrong based on 153 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Jerry Buchanan was honoured by the President not only as a great painter but also because he wrote prolifically on various different subjects.

(A) but also because he wrote prolifically
(B) having written prolifically on
(C) but because he wrote prolifically and
(D) but also as a prolific writer
(E) but also as a writer since he wrote prolifically

Originally posted by imaggic on 16 Nov 2011, 11:32.
Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Jan 2019, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Manager
Manager
Re: Jerry Buchanan was honoured by the President not only as a great paint  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2011, 17:15
Vote for 'D'.

'not only' is followed by 'but also', therefore we have options A, D and E
considering parallelism in the sentence.... He was honored as a great painter.... on various subjects
He was honored as a prolific writer.... on various subjects
Re: Jerry Buchanan was honoured by the President not only as a great paint  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2011, 18:43
+1 for D.

A simple Parallelism question.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Nov 2011, 07:30
"D" for parallelism, and proper usage of idiom "Not only X, but also Y".

ABC are out straight because we are not sure who the prolific writer was: Buchanan or the President.

Originally posted by alinomoto on 16 Nov 2011, 19:08.
Last edited by alinomoto on 17 Nov 2011, 07:30, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2011, 21:31
+1 D

"since" is wrong. It doesn't mean "because" in SC. Also, E is wordy.

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2011, 05:41
D for me.
1) "Not only .. But also" concept;
2) "prolific writer" rather than "he wrote prolifically".
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2012, 18:34
Whats wrong with E..
I ruled our out D because if we complete the sentence it would read "he was a prolific writer on various different subjects"... whereas in E it would read as " he wrote on various different subjects"...
can anyone please explain..
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2012, 21:36
@mituljain: First E is wrong on one of the most important aspects of grammar namely //ism. As you might agree, first and second parts do not go in tandem.

Secondly, E fouls on the style too. – The expression - as a writer he wrote borders on redundancy, what else is a writer supposed to do? Rather than saying he wrote prolifically, the choice could have said he delved prolifically

My suggestion is to first clear grammar and then other things; so many people give undue and unnecessary importance to things other than grammar & end up with wrong choices.

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2012, 01:28
Went with E ..
Although D looks more precise ,
" ..writer on various different subjects." in D doesn't sound good to me.

parallelism is maintained in both D and E . ( although adjective is missing in E)

one question though ... Can we not use "since" in place of "because" ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2012, 01:36
daagh wrote:
@mituljain: First E is wrong on one of the most important aspects of grammar namely //ism. As you might agree, first and second parts do not go in tandem.

Secondly, E fouls on the style too. – The expression - as a writer he wrote borders on redundancy, what else is a writer supposed to do? Rather than saying he wrote prolifically, the choice could have said he delved prolifically

My suggestion is to first clear grammar and then other things; so many people give undue and unnecessary importance to things other than grammar & end up with wrong choices.

I couldn't understand whats wrong with E grammar. 2 parts are very much in parallel

1. not only as a great painter
2. but also as a writer

"since he wrote prolifically" is needed to explain why as a writer he is been honored. Its a 3rd part of the statement. With D as an option it looks like president is honoring "a prolific writer on various diffierent subjects". Its not straight, Infact this is wordy and unclear.

"but also as a prolific writer" on various different subjects
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 00:23
Medha14 wrote:
What's the OA?
I choose D

The OA is E.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Now, we want you to look at the first two or three words of every option and group the options on this basis.

Three of the options start with but also, one with having and one with but because. Now if you know your idioms, you would know that not only (in the non-underlined part of the sentence) always requires a but also. So, options (B) and (C) can be eliminated without even reading another word. This will save you valuable time, enabling you to finish the question in less than a minute.

Amongst the remaining three options, you can now do another split—should it be but also because (A) or but also as ((D) and (E))? Since not only is followed by as, but also too needs to be followed by as. So, (A) gets eliminated.

Between (D) and (E), (D) is more concise. Also a prolific writer is parallel to a great painter. Thus, E should be the correct answer.

The important thing to note in the above example is that we did not read any of the options (except maybe the last two) completely. We just looked at a few words strategically and eliminated. This is the approach that you should try to adopt for every Sentence Correction question that you see on the GMAT.

You may not always be able to group the options using the first words; sometimes you can do this using the last words; sometimes you can do this using the error itself (assuming you have already spotted the error); sometimes you can do this using an idiom. What you need to ensure is that you are always reading vertically and eliminating options, rather than reading horizontally and wasting your time/getting confused.
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 07:17
Bunuel wrote:
Medha14 wrote:
What's the OA?
I choose D

The OA is E.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Now, we want you to look at the first two or three words of every option and group the options on this basis.

Three of the options start with but also, one with having and one with but because. Now if you know your idioms, you would know that not only (in the non-underlined part of the sentence) always requires a but also. So, options (B) and (C) can be eliminated without even reading another word. This will save you valuable time, enabling you to finish the question in less than a minute.

Amongst the remaining three options, you can now do another split—should it be but also because (A) or but also as ((D) and (E))? Since not only is followed by as, but also too needs to be followed by as. So, (A) gets eliminated.

Between (D) and (E), (D) is more concise. Also a prolific writer is parallel to a great painter. Thus, E should be the correct answer.

The important thing to note in the above example is that we did not read any of the options (except maybe the last two) completely. We just looked at a few words strategically and eliminated. This is the approach that you should try to adopt for every Sentence Correction question that you see on the GMAT.

You may not always be able to group the options using the first words; sometimes you can do this using the last words; sometimes you can do this using the error itself (assuming you have already spotted the error); sometimes you can do this using an idiom. What you need to ensure is that you are always reading vertically and eliminating options, rather than reading horizontally and wasting your time/getting confused.

I am sorry but I am confused due to this line - "Between (D) and (E), (D) is more concise. Also a prolific writer is parallel to a great painter. Thus, E should be the correct answer."
Intern
Intern
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 11:16
Quote:
I am sorry but I am confused due to this line - "Between (D) and (E), (D) is more concise. Also a prolific writer is parallel to a great painter. Thus, E should be the correct answer."

Also confused. Can someone clarify?

The parallelism in D makes D seem preferable to E.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 12:51
Bunuel your OE states

Does it mean that D is the correct answer or is it E?

Please clarify.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Jerry Buchanan was honoured by the President not only as a great paint   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2019, 12:51

Jerry Buchanan was honoured by the President not only as a great paint

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics