Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32858 [5]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Send PM
Re: Jim Smyth may be a charismatic speaker, but it seems to be counterprod [#permalink]
Jim Smyth may be a charismatic speaker, but it seems to be counterproductive to have a high school dropout as mayor in a town where illiteracy functionally affects 37 percent of the electorate.

Meaning Analysis - Jim Smyth is a charismatic speaker, but it would be counterproductive to have him as a mayor in a town
where 37 percent of electorate are illiterate.

Splits - 1) Electorate is a plural enitity , So it will have plural verb.
2) Since town is a physical place, 'where' is the correct term to modify it.

A. where illiteracy functionally affects 37 percent of the electorate
B. in which functionally the electorate is 37 percent illiterate
C. where 37 percent of the electorate are functionally illiterate - correct
D. which has 37 percent of the electorate functionally illiterate
E. where, of the electorate, 37 percent of them functionally are illiterate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Re: Jim Smyth may be a charismatic speaker, but it seems to be counterprod [#permalink]
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Jim Smyth may be a charismatic speaker, but it seems to be counterproductive to have a high school dropout as mayor in a town where illiteracy functionally affects 37 percent of the electorate.

C. where 37 percent of the electorate are functionally illiterate

Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT
Difficulty Level: 650

How can the electorate be plurar? It's a singular noun? C can't be the answer? Please explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:

I have a doubt. Can't D be right? Sounds logical. Town is a noun, which has 37%..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MofeBhatia wrote:
OhsostudiousMJ wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

I have a doubt. Can't D be right? Sounds logical. Town is a noun, which has 37%..

Hi OhsostudiousMJ,

Since Town is a physical place it should only be referred by ‘Where’ . Similar logic goes with time , if some time or timeperiod needs to be modified ‘When’ should be used.

Hope it helps !!

Posted from my mobile device

Okay, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
MofeBhatia wrote:
Hi iac00

Quote:
How can the electorate be plurar? It's a singular noun? C can't be the answer? Please explain

electorate: Meaning
1) treated as singular or plural. All the people in a country or area who are entitled to vote in an election.

For e.g. 75 per cent of the electorate voted for a Scottish parliament in some form’

2) NZ Australian The area represented by one Member of Parliament.

3) historical The office or territories of a German elector.

From the meaning perspective,if you see, electorate can refer to the number of people eliglible to vote in an area or the people themselves.

Quote:

Now if you in the option C , if you replace the verb 'are' with 'is' and 'electrorate' with 'people' .

where 37 percent of the people is functionally illiterate

The sentence won't make sense. Refering people with singular verb 'is' is incorrect.

Hope it helps !!!!

Hmmm... that's kind of a stretch in my opinion, i guess i'll just have to just learn the rule and accept it. Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
MofeBhatia wrote:
Since Town is a physical place it should only be referred by ‘Where’ . Similar logic goes with time , if some time or timeperiod needs to be modified ‘When’ should be used.
My reply is not about this question, but about the usage of where. You're right in the sense that where is very often used to refer to a place, but we need to be careful not to say that we cannot refer to places using anything other than a where.

1. Where used to refer to a place:

... Shanghai, where... ← This is fine.
... the first aeroplane, where... ← This is wrong.

2. Where or something other than where used to refer to a place:

... Shanghai, which... ← This is fine.
... Shanghai, in which... ← This is fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
My reply is not about this question, but about the usage of where. You're right in the sense that where is very often used to refer to a place, but we need to be careful not to say that we cannot refer to places using anything other than a where.

Thanks for the explaination AjiteshArun . Can you post some links/OG questions to illustrate the usage of 'which'
when 'which' is used to modify a physical place.
My undertanding was when its a physical place use 'Where' and when its a abstract place such as dreams use 'in which'.

This video might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoVdBZ3Ombo

Hope it helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
MofeBhatia wrote:
Thanks for the explaination AjiteshArun . Can you post some links/OG questions to illustrate the usage of 'which'
when 'which' is used to modify a physical place.
My undertanding was when its a physical place use 'Where' and when its a abstract place such as dreams use 'in which'.

This video might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoVdBZ3Ombo

Hope it helps!
Hi MofeBhatia,

I'm not sure what YouTube is telling you, but I can assure you that there is no such restriction on the usage of where, or on the usage of which. Again, where is usually used for places, but for places we are not restricted to where. It is the second part of that statement that you need a little assistance with, and I'd advise you to go through my first post again.

If you want an official question that uses a relative pronoun to modify a place, here you go.

Where is a relative adverb. Just the fact that it can be used around places cannot stop the basic relative pronouns from being used to refer to places.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
MofeBhatia wrote:

Hi,
If that's the case, then D should also be right, isn't it?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
OhsostudiousMJ wrote:
Hi,
If that's the case, then D should also be right, isn't it?
Option D has other issues:

1. Which is used without a comma before it: this is not a reliable way to take D out (at all), but this which is still a little unexpected, as normally that is the one that is used without a comma. In other words, between a town that and a town which, we'd probably want to go with a town that.

2. The phrase electorate functionally illiterate is not something we'd expect to see on the GMAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
iac00 wrote:
Hmmm... that's kind of a stretch in my opinion, i guess i'll just have to just learn the rule and accept it. Thanks!
For what it's worth, I don't think the GMAT would make you take a call on whether electorate is singular or plural.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: IIM
Send PM
can any one suggest why A is wrong ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32858 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnujL wrote:
can any one suggest why A is wrong ?

Explanation

Option A, has a slight issue with word order. The phrase "illiteracy functionally affects" suggests that illiteracy is actively impacting the electorate, rather than stating that a certain percentage of the electorate is illiterate.

Option B, has an awkward structure. The phrase "functionally the electorate is 37 percent illiterate" does not flow naturally and lacks clarity.

Option C, provides a clear and concise statement. It states that a specific percentage of the electorate (37 percent) is functionally illiterate, which aligns with the intended meaning of the sentence.

Option D, introduces a change in meaning. It suggests that the town itself has the electorate functionally illiterate, rather than specifying that a percentage of the electorate is illiterate.

Option E, includes redundant phrasing and lacks conciseness. The use of "of the electorate" and "of them" is unnecessary and clutters the sentence.

In conclusion, option C is the correct choice because it effectively conveys the intended meaning in a clear and grammatically correct manner.

Answer: C
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts