It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (00:42) correct 43% (00:45) wrong based on 371 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become his third wife.

A. two times before he met Jane, who would become his third wife
B. two times before he met Jane, who would later become his third wife
C. twice before he met Jane, who would later become his third wife
D. two times before he met Jane, who would become wife number three
E. twice before he met Jane, who would become his third wife

Could anyone generally explain when we use past perfect? What is the difference in this case, would the question still be right in the past simple format: "John was married..."?
The answer itself is clear to me. Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Re: John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 21:08
Hi Reto,

IMO in general "past perfect" is used for an event that happened and does not exist anymore in the present.

"simple past" shows that the event happened earlier but does not talk anything about its current state unless specifically mentioned elsewhere in the context of the sentence.

What you have asked is a good question with respect to this sentence..

daagh: Kindly help here.

Regards,
Dom.
Intern
Intern
Re: John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 23:55
what is the difference between 'would become' and 'would later become'?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 00:11
I think "would later" is redundant word because would shows that the event will happen later. Mods, please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Past perfect is used
1) There are two dependent events and we want to show the ordering of the events i.e. one event affects one way or not. In this case, if he had not met her, he would not have married her so the events affect each other. The meeting happened first and then the marriage so meeting is used in past perfect tense to show the ordering although not necessary since we are also using "before" to signify the ordering.
2) When the effects of event are still felt . For eg: The U.S. government had dropped the bomb on Nagasaki and Hiroshima after the Pearl Harbor attack.
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Answer is E, which is most concise.

A, B and D are easily eliminated because of redundancy (we do not use "two times" when we can use "twice"). C is redundant because of the word "later". We already have the word "before" which describes the time, so no need for placing "later" in the second part of the sentence.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 11:54
reto wrote:
John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become his third wife.

Could anyone generally explain when we use past perfect? What is the difference in this case, would the question still be right in the past simple format: "John was married..."?

"Perfect' tenses are used to denote proper verb sequencing, ie to show what action was performed before.

There is a minor deviation from this rule. When the sequencing is clear by using words such as since or before or after, simple past is also correct. The words before/after/since clearly show the sequencing. So the use of either past perfect or simple present is correct. But for sentences that do not have these words, you must use past perfect only for proper verb sequencing.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 17:55
i got stuck between A and E
seems both perfect to me..chose E because it is more concise.
anyone to explain why two times < twice?
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 21:57
A, B and D can be eliminated because the usage of 'twice' is better and concise in the given context.

E can be eliminated because 'would' reflects future tense and 'would later' is redundant.

Answer: C
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This question does not seem super reflective of what you would see on the GMAT.

The past perfect appears in the sentence (past perfect is used to show the earlier of two past events or to place an event before a time marker in the sentence), but the past perfect isn't tested at all - it's in the non-underlined portion of the sentence and aren't any variations in the choices that leverage the past perfect at all.

The only variations in the choices are related to concision (twice v two times and later), which isn't really a tested element like it used to be. Meaning has become a much bigger issue, but both of these variations don't really negatively affect meaning. Saying two times instead of twice is more concise and more commonly used, but it doesn't lead to improper meaning. The addition of later is unnecessary but doesn't lead to improper meaning either. So, E is the correct answer, but there are certainly better questions to study...

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 09:27
KyleWiddison wrote:
This question does not seem super reflective of what you would see on the GMAT.

The past perfect appears in the sentence (past perfect is used to show the earlier of two past events or to place an event before a time marker in the sentence), but the past perfect isn't tested at all - it's in the non-underlined portion of the sentence and aren't any variations in the choices that leverage the past perfect at all.

The only variations in the choices are related to concision (twice v two times and later), which isn't really a tested element like it used to be. Meaning has become a much bigger issue, but both of these variations don't really negatively affect meaning. Saying two times instead of twice is more concise and more commonly used, but it doesn't lead to improper meaning. The addition of later is unnecessary but doesn't lead to improper meaning either. So, E is the correct answer, but there are certainly better questions to study...

KW

Hi Kyle, did you mean saying 'twice' rather than 'two times' is more concise? Is there any good reason why E is a better answer choice than A?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 03:27
reto wrote:

Hi

I got the answer right, but can someone explain me why should we use "twice" and not "two times"?
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 06:00
ravi11 wrote:
reto wrote:

Hi

I got the answer right, but can someone explain me why should we use "twice" and not "two times"?

Hi,

As very well explained by Kyle here :https://gmatclub.com/forum/john-had-been-married-two-times-before-he-met-jane-who-would-become-h-203814.html#p1666479 ,

this question is not a GMAT Like question. So, remember only one thing "twice is preferred over two times" because twice is short and concise.

There is no other reason for rejecting A over E. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 22:44
Why twice instead of two times? can anyone please explain?
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 02:11
bpiyush wrote:

Please read the explanation given here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/john-had-bee ... l#p1846427

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bpiyush wrote:

One time / two times / three times are used coloquially - for formal writing use once/ twice/ thrice. (But thereater use x times, e.g. four times, five times etc.)
Re: John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become h   [#permalink] 04 May 2017, 04:08

John had been married two times before he met Jane, who would become h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap