GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

John leaves from his home at 10 AM and starts driving towards a city

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
John leaves from his home at 10 AM and starts driving towards a city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 07:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (03:28) correct 50% (03:11) wrong based on 22 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

John leaves from his home at 10 AM and starts driving towards a city that is 300 kilometres away, at a constant speed of 50 miles per hour. His brother Martin leaves the home at 11:30 AM and starts driving on the same route at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour. If they stop driving once they reach the city, which of the following statements must be true? (1 mile = 1.6 kilometres)

I. John reaches the city before Martin
II. At 1:30 PM, John is 55 kilometres ahead of Martin
III. Martin overtake John at 4 PM

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Re: John leaves from his home at 10 AM and starts driving towards a city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 08:20
kiran120680 wrote:
John leaves from his home at 10 AM and starts driving towards a city that is 300 kilometres away, at a constant speed of 50 miles per hour. His brother Martin leaves the home at 11:30 AM and starts driving on the same route at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour. If they stop driving once they reach the city, which of the following statements must be true? (1 mile = 1.6 kilometres)

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only

1. John starts his journey an an hour and a half before Martin
2. John travels at the speed of 50 km/hr. So in 90 minutes, he would have travelled
75 kms. Martin travels at speed of 60 km(he will travel 10 km extra each hour)

John will travel 300 km in 5 hours(from 10 AM). Because Martin starts aqn hour and
a half later, he will travel for 3 and a half hours(distance = 3.5*50 = 210). So, this
statement is TRUE

At 1:30, John would have travelled 225 kms(75 kms before 11:30 and 150 kms after)
Since Martin begins his travel at 11:30 - At 1:30(3 hours later) he will travel 180 kms.
John will be 45(225 - 180) kms ahead. This statement is FALSE

At 3 PM, John would have travelled 125 kms more since 1:30 and reached the destination.
Maring would have have travelled 90 kms more or a total of 270 kms. Since they don't
drive once they reach the city, Martin does not overtake John. This statement is FALSE

Therefore, (I only)Option A is the answer option which must be TRUE
Re: John leaves from his home at 10 AM and starts driving towards a city   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2019, 08:20

John leaves from his home at 10 AM and starts driving towards a city

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics