GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

John usually sorts incoming mail, such as bills and legal papers, into

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: John usually sorts incoming mail, such as bills and legal papers, into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 08:09
chetan2u wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Just saw your PM
The reasoning talks of efficiency of sorted folders with unsorted folders..
In these activities what are the time factors involved...
1) time spent on sorting out folders. .......A
2) time spent on searching files without sorting......B
3) time spent on sorting errors if a file misplaced....C

Let's see the statements D and E..
D. Comparing the look-up time without sorting with the look-up time in case of a sorting error
This option talks ONLY of two options B and C. It does not talk of time involved in sorting out.
Say he spends 10 HR sorting files. He can search for a file with out sorting in 30 mins and a misplaced file after making folders in 20min.
If we compare as per the statement, there is saving of 10 mins by sorting but what about 10hrs in sorting.
Also we do not know the comparison between time saved due to sorting.
Incomplete comparison

E. Comparing the time saved by having pre-sorted folders to the time wasted on sorting and on sorting errors
This talks of time saved because of sorted folders and also time spent in sorting the folders and sorting errors.
So it encompasses all activities when you sort folders..
Time spent in sorting..
Time saved in having files ready..
Time spent on sorting errors..

Thus we are comparing spent be saved in an activity. This will give us efficiency..
Sufficient.

Thank you for the reply Chetan.
But chetan2u option "E" is talking about pre-sort and not "unsort". Isn't that wrong?

Hi..
Time saved on pre-sort is SAME as time spent on unsorted.
Since he is speaking of time saved so it is pre-sort.
Say he would have said that time wasted on unsorted to time...
It would mean same..

Hope it clears the doubt.

Thank you chetan2u: this explanation seems meaningful! Thanks a ton sir :)

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: John usually sorts incoming mail, such as bills and legal papers, into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 06:24
John usually sorts incoming mail, such as bills and legal papers, into different folders according to various criteria. When he needs a specific document, John looks for it in the appropriate folder. However, if John mistakenly puts a letter into the wrong folder, he will not find it later when he looks in the appropriate folder. Jane hypothesizes that refraining from sorting the letters, but rather searching through all of them when necessary, would be more efficient.

What are we looking for - Something which can help us identify , which is better -
1> Sort the letter and spend more time on searching if letter is kept in wrong folder
2> Don't sort - look @ one place whenever you need to find the letter

Which of the following investigations is most likely to yield significant information that would help evaluate Jane's hypothesis?

A. Stopping the sorting, and seeing whether John is pleased with the new system
-- Irrelevant

B. Using each method for a month, and seeing which has more sorting errors
-- We are not counting errors here. In case 2 , there can't be any error any ways.

C. Comparing the time it takes to sort the letters with the time it takes to find a misplaced letter
-- This choice talks about only one case of misplaced letter. We need to look The complete picture.

D. Comparing the look-up time without sorting with the look-up time in case of a sorting error
-- We not only need to compare the look up time in two case , we so need to account for "how many letters are misplaced". So again not a complete picture here.

E. Comparing the time saved by having pre-sorted folders to the time wasted on sorting and on sorting errors
-- This is the correct . Time saved in case 1 as compared to case 2 vs time wasted in case 1 (in case of errors). If time wasted is more , move to option 2. - Correct Answer
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 23:30
But pre sort means sorted earlier . I also have doubt on E
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 10:18
I just chose E because I couldn't POE it... I couldn't understand what the option after... 'on sorting and on sorting'. Is that a typo? chetan2u

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 17:59
Kem12 wrote:
I just chose E because I couldn't POE it... I couldn't understand what the option after... 'on sorting and on sorting'. Is that a typo? chetan2u

Hi Kem12,
First sorting is of folders and other of errors ..
So you spend time on two things ..
1) sorting out folders and
2) sorting out errors

So it reads
Time wasted on sorting folders and on sorting errors..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Schools: Sloan '21, ISB '19, IIMA
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 10:09
Time saved is a better key than look up time
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 23:46
AmoyV wrote:
John usually sorts incoming mail, such as bills and legal papers, into different folders according to various criteria. When he needs a specific document, John looks for it in the appropriate folder. However, if John mistakenly puts a letter into the wrong folder, he will not find it later when he looks in the appropriate folder. Jane hypothesizes that refraining from sorting the letters, but rather searching through all of them when necessary, would be more efficient.

Which of the following investigations is most likely to yield significant information that would help evaluate Jane's hypothesis?

A. Stopping the sorting, and seeing whether John is pleased with the new system Irrelevant
B. Using each method for a month, and seeing which has more sorting errorsWe need to be more efficient. This means we need to be concerned about saving time and efforts. This may save efforts but may not save time
C. Comparing the time it takes to sort the letters with the time it takes to find a misplaced letter only 1 misplaced letter? What if the time to find 1 letter is very low but John misplaces a lot of letters. This will increase the total time and effort.
D. Comparing the look-up time without sorting with the look-up time in case of a sorting error "a" sorting error. What if there are a lot of sorting errors?
E. Comparing the time saved by having pre-sorted folders to the time wasted on sorting and on sorting errors Correct.

But, there was no mentioning about the efficiency of the methods or the time taken by the current method used by John for sorting the Letters. How is option (E) the correct answer to this question?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 10:54
chetan2u wrote:
Kem12 wrote:

Hi Kem12,
First sorting is of folders and other of errors ..
So you spend time on two things ..
1) sorting out folders and
2) sorting out errors

So it reads
Time wasted on sorting folders and on sorting errors..

Ok thanks, it's clearto me now.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: John usually sorts incoming mail, such as bills and legal papers, into &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 10:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

John usually sorts incoming mail, such as bills and legal papers, into

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap