GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Johnson ($$$) v. Ross v. Stern

new topic post reply Update application status  

Choose One

• 55% [11]
  • 30% [6]
  • 15% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.2
Johnson ($$$) v. Ross v. Stern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Feb 2018, 08:27
Hi all,

Apologies for a bit of repetition. A lot of this content had been a part of a recent thread I posted on Ross v. Stern, but now I have also been accepted at Johnson with a full-tuition scholarship. I made an attempt at negotiation at Ross and Stern to no avail and have zero $ from either school.

I have lived in NYC for the last six years and have worked in nonprofit management/consulting. I want to pursue 'regular' management/strategy consulting. I will shoot for the big 4 but would likely be happy at a smaller firm as well. I am also interested in environmental and social impact, and while I don't necessarily expect that those will factor into my first job out of business school, I do think they will factor in the longer term.

Ross
-Very solid approach to the consulting track, seems like a well-oiled machine
-Strong presence of environmental and social impact related opportunities
-MAP seems wonderful, a chance to travel AND complete a substantive, 7-week consulting project as opposed to some of the fluffier travel opportunities at most schools [I will definitely take advantage of one or two fluffier opportunities as well though]
-Network seems very supportive and enthusiastic
-Where people go after graduation is quite varied (Chicago, Seattle, NYC, and SF all have at least 10% but nowhere has more than 21%), which is both a strength due to potential variety and maybe also a weakness (no one location where Ross is king)
-Ann Arbor seems fine, I'm not in love with it

Stern
-It's in NYC! I'm pretty tied to this city. On the one hand, a break doesn't sound bad. On the other, I will likely want to be in NYC post-school.
-In-semester internships and networking with companies in NYC are opportunities that won't exist in the same way at Ross
-Environmental and social impact opportunities are certainly there but don't seem as ingrained as they are at Ross
-I get the impression that the consulting track is weaker than at Ross, but still not too shabby
-Being in a big city, it seems like more people have more of a life outside of business school, which I kind of see as a weakness in terms of network strength and trying new things (could be tempted to fall back on the friends/support system that I already have, although having that support system is a nice thing of course- hard to say if this is a positive or negative I suppose)

Johnson
-The scholarship probably takes a significant amount of stress/pressure off of my life for the next decade (plus I can travel more during b school)
-If I burn out on management consulting quickly, there will be less pressure to stay due to finances
-Don't mind getting out of the city for school and it seems like a tight-knit community which is nice
-They have the Center for Sustainable Global Enterprise, which is right up my ally with social/environmental impact + business
-I do have concerns about the quality of firms recruiting from Johnson. While I'm not dead set on MBB, it doesn't seem like a great sign that BCG doesn't appear to come on-campus at all (despite being a top 5 employer at Ross). Similarly, Bain's pre-MBA diversity program doesn't include Johnson despite including some usually lower ranked programs like UNC and Georgetown
-Seems to be going through/have gone through a somewhat turbulent time. Their dean just stepped down and I believe their careers services had a large overhaul recently (I suppose/hope that one is for the better). I feel the jury is out on whether there is positive or negative momentum at the moment, which makes me nervous
-Despite some of my doubts, they have had a pretty good ranking performance recently

So basically, the obvious thing to do would be to take the money. I just want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot by doing so.

Originally posted by Cesky on 09 Feb 2018, 17:05.
Last edited by Cesky on 10 Feb 2018, 08:27, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Johnson ($$$) v. Ross v. Stern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 17:49
Cesky wrote:

Ross
-Very solid approach to the consulting track, seems like a well-oiled machine
-Strong presence of environmental and social impact related opportunities
-MAP seems wonderful, a chance to travel AND complete a substantive, 7-week consulting project as opposed to some of the fluffier travel opportunities at most schools [I will definitely take advantage of one or two fluffier opportunities as well though]
-Network seems very supportive and enthusiastic
-Where people go after graduation is quite varied (Chicago, Seattle, NYC, and SF all have at least 10% but nowhere has more than 21%), which is both a strength due to potential variety and maybe also a weakness (no one location where Ross is king)
-Ann Arbor seems fine, I'm not in love with it

Stern
-It's in NYC! I'm pretty tied to this city. On the one hand, a break doesn't sound bad. On the other, I will likely want to be in NYC post-school.
-In-semester internships and networking with companies in NYC are opportunities that won't exist in the same way at Ross
-Environmental and social impact opportunities are certainly there but don't seem as ingrained as they are at Ross
-I get the impression that the consulting track is weaker than at Ross, but still not too shabby
-Being in a big city, it seems like more people have more of a life outside of business school, which I kind of see as a weakness in terms of network strength and trying new things (could be tempted to fall back on the friends/support system that I already have, although having that support system is a nice thing of course- hard to say if this is a positive or negative I suppose)

Johnson
-The scholarship probably takes a significant amount of stress/pressure off of my life for the next decade (plus I can travel more during b school)
-Don't mind getting out of the city for school and it seems like a tight-knit community which is nice
-I do have concerns about the quality of firms recruiting from Johnson. While I'm not dead set on MBB, it doesn't seem like a great sign that BCG doesn't appear to come on-campus at all (despite being a top 5 employer at Ross). Similarly, Bain's pre-MBA diversity program doesn't include Johnson despite including some usually lower ranked programs like UNC and Georgetown
-Seems to be going through/have gone through a somewhat turbulent time. Their dean just stepped down and I believe their careers services had a large overhaul recently (I suppose/hope that one is for the better). I feel the jury is out on whether there is positive or negative momentum at the moment, which makes me nervous
-Despite some of my doubts, they have had a pretty good ranking performance recently

So basically, the obvious thing to do would be to take the money. I just want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot by doing so.

This looks a little straightforward to me. You should go to Ross! (even with the extra cost)
Below is why -
- Your goals are realllyy well aligned with Ross. Strategy consulting + environmental/social impact.
- Like you said, NYU is slightly lower than Ross on both those attributes
- Take a break from NYC. You'll learn and grow more in a new environment, and the bonding at Ross is pretty amazing.. (much better than NYU due to the nature of school/university location)
- If I were you, I wouldn't consider Cornell at all.. even with the money. I have the same goal - strategy consulting, and I decided not to apply to Cornell because they really don't have any real strength in that area (compared to Ross, and even NYU). Like you mention, things right now are a little wobbly with the administrative changes, and that's not a good sign.. maybe things will settle down in a couple of years..

You will only go through this experience once. Make it count!
Go to Ross!

GMAT Debrief - 770
bb's "The Definitive GMAT Study Plan" - 2016 Edition
Must read forum topics before you start your MBA application

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 19:47
Cesky wrote:
I will shoot for the big 4 but would likely be happy at a smaller firm as well. I am also interested in environmental and social impact, and while I don't necessarily expect that those will factor into my first job out of business school, I do think they will factor in the longer term.

You can get Big 4 out of Johnson probably just as easy as you can out of Ross or Stern. Since it suits your goals just fine, there is NO REASON to pay an extra $120k+ for the same degree. I'd say you especially don't want the added financial burden if you do end up going the social impact route--which presumably won't have the same ROI as many standard MBA career paths.

Take the money.
Enjoy Ithaca!

Good luck.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Johnson ($$$) v. Ross v. Stern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 18:37
Ross is the best consulting school of the bunch but I think you still have a chance to break into Big 4 at Johnson. MBB has less of a presence at Johnson but still hires in decent enough numbers. But certainly schools like Deloitte and Accenture can also offer opportunities as well. That scholarship would be tough for me to turn down especially from a peer school

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 09:18
EDIT: I'm going to Johnson!

It is was tough to chose the school I was least in love with to some degree. However, I think Johnson can get me the places I want to go and there's a lot about the program to be excited about. A top 16 program for zero tuition just isn't something I can pass up (especially since the other options weren't M7 level).
GMAT Club Bot
Johnson ($$$) v. Ross v. Stern &nbs [#permalink] 14 Feb 2018, 09:18

Johnson ($$$) v. Ross v. Stern

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap